Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2nd gear grind
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mipstien
I have a slight grind when going into second gear. if i let off the gas for maybe 2 or 3 seconds after first then it doesn't grind. it never jumps out of gear though. it did just start this around 100 miles ago.

is there some adjustments i need to look into?
76-914
I've only rebuilt one 901 (that makes me an expert lol-2.gif ) but IMHO you have a syncro thats kaput. If it isn't jumping out of gear then the dog teeth are probably ok.
pcar916
If...

1. The clutch is adjusted properly and
2. your fluid level is good and
3. the fluid is in good shape and
4. your shift linkage bushings are all good,

I'd bet on the synchro. It's also well known that double-clutching and matching revs both up and down-shifting is very good for out transaxles.
realred914
slow shifting as long as you can will keep it running.

believe it or not i solved a probelm like tis by switching to redline sythetic in my tranny, bought a 914, shifted poor like you have, put in new regular oil, no change, tried redline next, and the problem went away, 80k miles later still working (I bought the car cheap cuase the owner thought the tranny was shot)

nurse it as much as you can with slow shifting (a benifit of a tail shifter is slow shifting!!!) try the snake oil fix of red line, it might help, else tiem to rebuild when it gets too bad.

have fun
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.