Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #1 & 2 plugs fowling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biker bob
Need help tuning carbs. I have very little experience with dual carb adjusting. 72 2.0L turn key engine. No issues with valves, rings or compression. Had some issues with the EMPI 44's that I believe are now solved. Comp-fire ignition installed and using Bosche WR7CC+ plugs. I have followed carb tuning instructions however I must be missing something. With new plugs the car runs great for about 40 miles then # 1&2 plugs begin to fowl out almost completely black and engine loses power. No smoke coming from the exhaust. I replace the plugs and it runs great for another 40 miles. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions appricated. Thanks Bob
realred914
QUOTE(biker bob @ Nov 11 2010, 07:17 AM) *

Need help tuning carbs. I have very little experience with dual carb adjusting. 72 2.0L turn key engine. No issues with valves, rings or compression. Had some issues with the EMPI 44's that I believe are now solved. Comp-fire ignition installed and using Bosche WR7CC+ plugs. I have followed carb tuning instructions however I must be missing something. With new plugs the car runs great for about 40 miles then # 1&2 plugs begin to fowl out almost completely black and engine loses power. No smoke coming from the exhaust. I replace the plugs and it runs great for another 40 miles. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions appricated. Thanks Bob

fuel level in bowls the same? maybe the float needs adjustment? make sure they are the same, and correct. after that look for cleanliness and adjustment of the carbs. and intake leaks (may the 'good one' is running rich too, but is masked by an intake leak???) go thru these basics first thy try to adjust again.

if all else fails, try a compression test just to make sure your not all sooty couse of failed rings.

PS also make sure the valves are adjusted correctly on both sides, and test you spark wires too. if either of these is wrong, carbs adjusting wont fix it.

if this is a new motor, could be rings not seated yet?
and needs more break in period?

do you smell strong gas smell from tail pipe?

good luck smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif driving-girl.gif driving-girl.gif first.gif first.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif bye1.gif
biker bob
Carbs are new and adjustments seem to be working. No flooding. The engine is new (1700 miles) with hydraulic lifters. Compression tested according to specs. How long does normally take to seat the rings?

How do you test the plug wires?

No smoke or the smell of gas coming from the tail pipe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.