Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A free 914.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mein_tag
I somehow ended up with another 914. This one was free though. It's completely stripped no dash, glass, hoods, or gas tank. It does have the original 1.7l engine, but condition unknown. It has a ample amount of rust on the pas. long, and pan, But hell hole is good. Anyways my first 914, only needs the left front fender section, I feel guilty If I chop It up especially with it's low production number. (#840)
Anyways I have no idea what I want to do with it besides not chopping it up; Maybe LeMons?
Worth saving?
mein_tag
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(mein_tag @ Nov 13 2010, 01:06 PM) *
But hell hole is good.

I don't think so ... biggrin.gif

In your last pic, i can look straight into the hell hole from underneath.

popcorn[1].gif
mein_tag
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 13 2010, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mein_tag @ Nov 13 2010, 01:06 PM) *
But hell hole is good.

I don't think so ... biggrin.gif

In your last pic, i can look straight into the hell hole from underneath.

popcorn[1].gif

thanks for pointing that out. chair.gif
I just looked at that the battery tray. Poked through the black sealant..... uhh unsure.gif
ConeDodger
HA!

There's no such thing as a free 914 lol-2.gif

The cheaper they are the more they WILL cost...
AndyB
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 13 2010, 04:51 PM) *

HA!

There's no such thing as a free 914 lol-2.gif

The cheaper they are the more they WILL cost...

agree.gif free hmmmmm dry.gif
Jeffs9146
WTF.gif Give him a brake.....it has parts! Free is a deal depending on what you need and where you are!
Dr Evil
let it go to the great beyond once you take what you need. Unless, you want to learn how to weld and repair confused24.gif
hot_shoe914
Rally car! Next one I get my hands on cheap is going to be made into a Rally teener. piratenanner.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Nov 13 2010, 07:02 PM) *

WTF.gif Give him a brake.....it has parts! Free is a deal depending on what you need and where you are!

Well, considering it was meant to be funny, hence the lol-2.gif I don't think he needs a break. But, he also states that it has already been stripped which is pretty evident from the pictures.

My point stands. There is no such thing as a free 914. The less it costs the more it will.
GaroldShaffer
What's the overall picture of the car look like? All 914's will need rust repair sooner or later. If you have the time take what you need and see if you can sell off the extra parts. Based on what you said on the prod number I assume its a 1970. If you plan to scrap it pull the trailing arms. All 70 model year 914s (4cyl & 6cyl) used the same embossed hubs, they are either drilled for as 4 bolt for /4 or 5 bolt for /6. The guys converting to 5 lug will want those hubs so they can be drilled out to 5 lug. Pull the steering column as they are used for early (70 & 71) models. Also pull they steering front cross member because the early ones are the same as the /6. 72 & up are different.
Does it have a rear bumper? The 70 style is more squared off by the plate area. Again something that has some value if it isn't all bent up and rusted away.

I am sure I'm missing a some other items, but that is all I can think off this late at night.
speed metal army
Im kinda in the same boat..I just picked up a 72 for 400 bux....the seats and carpets/console are really nice.(the main reason I bought it,and the early bumpers are straight and rust free)The car has good trunks,outer panels ok,hellhole actually good,floor solid,the longs are shit.It has a seized 1.7 in it,with a supposedly rebuilt tranny...The shift linkage feels really good,and as far as I can see,All the wiring harness is still unmolested.It also came with a title.Its tough!Part of me says,fix it,and the other half says cannabalize the interior,get those backdated bumpers you wanted,and save the lids and fenders....
McMark
You can:

1. Fix it - but that's going to take time and money. Do you really want to invest in this one?
2. Cut it - I feel your pain, but sometimes it must be done.
3. Try to sell it - it certainly looks fixable from the pictures, so maybe someone wants to take it on. Money in your pocket, and no headache or guilty conscience.

Only you can decide what works best for your needs, $, and time.
mein_tag
I definitely gonna pull the engine and trans before I decide what I'm going do with it.
I'm tackling the rust on my 71' so this one will be put off to the side.
Everyone has two 914's though, Right? I think It's when you have more you know have a problem.
KELTY360
QUOTE(mein_tag @ Nov 14 2010, 10:04 AM) *

Everyone has two 914's though, Right? I think It's when you have more you know have a problem.

If you have to convince yourself you don't have a problem.........you have a problem. shades.gif
Twise
I have one 914, and I always say that when I finish this one, I will get another one. That is why I will never finish this car. I bought a boat instead....
IronHillRestorations
From my experience the less you pay up front the more it will cost you in the long run. I think the car in the pics could end up being a very expensive project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.