Full Version: Side shift linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bills914-4
I thought I would share something I recently made ( at work ) & installed,
And yeah It looks similar to someone else's ( thats where I got Idea / I could
not afford it ) I'm excited, so far it works really good smile.gif
Gearhead1432
Sweet!

Did you use a 2.0 engine bar? It sort of looks that way but I can't tell for sure. What did you use for a bushing at the firewall?

-Rob
URY914
Me likes!

Tell us more....
jaxdream
Looks great piratenanner.gif , what do you have in mind for sealing it up to keep crud out ??

Jack / Jaxdream
Cupomeat
Ok, sorry for the dumb question, but what does this give you that the original system does not?

Is it more precise, or are you needing that curve to make room for something else?
Dr Evil
hmmm, interesting
Bills914-4
Well I made the switch from tail to side shift thanks to Evil's dvd! but I didn't
have all the linkage piece's Thanks to McMark & 914xrs for some of it , ( shift rods
console linkageEar,&tailcover ) still needed the linkage rod (curved rod ) & was
also looking at Jwest system ( couldn't afford at moment ) then idea.gif biggrin.gif
The U-joints are APEX ,e-bay $35 ea. free shipping , the tubing is .750 o.d.
brushed SS .062 wall $20 for 3ft. length , snugfit into apex joints , there's a plug
in each end of the tube ,for the screw to thread into . The bronze bushings on the
console ear bracket are oem for the console ear . The shaft that goes thru the
bushings is SS , the bushing on the firewall is from CMS . Hopefully the cover
should fit console ear with a little modifying ( still need to purchase ) Oh-yeah I
also made a couplerbushing for the Apex to shift rod coming out of firewall ,
And yes it does shift nice & postive, compared to my old tailshift their's no comparison
thanks Bill D.
URY914
When does production start?
Bills914-4
Sorry no prodution efforts on my end , I thought I'd share my version , besides
someone has system for sale & I wouldn't want to cause any problems .
Plus I have a fulltime job still (thank God/ I feel bad for others that don't ) that &
the wifey reminds me when I'm spending to much time with the Misstress ( her
nickname for the 914 ) biggrin.gif
thanks Bill D.
URY914
What is the piece that wraps over the top of the housing with the three bolts in it? Looks like 1 1/2" x 1/4" stainless steel flat bar. How did you bend it or is it aluminum?
BIGKAT_83
I had done one of these a few years back on my LS1 conversion. I also used a B/M mustang shifter. The pictures are from the build.

I'm going to take it all out and do a G50 transaxle next.
Click to view attachment

Bob
Kraftwerk
I like these kinds of solutions, thanks for sharing.
Seems like it saves money & looks great, besides.

Did you cut the tail shifter somewhere to add this on?
Maybe that is a superdumb question but 914's are a new kind of animal for me.

Bills914-4
The bracket with the 3 bolts ,yes it's SS & no its not a flat strap , but after I milled

& saw cut it from a chunk of SS , I realized it could be done from a flat bar, Very

carfully , or from a slice of Aluminiun Channel ( you need 4 1/2" space between

inside of ear tabs ) & nothing is permenitly changed I can go back to original

with no problems other than 3 holes in console ear .

I like the welded version ( didn't have acess to HeliArc machine )

I have the original linkage bar tube it's a little more bent up then it was from the factory biggrin.gif that's another reason for this happening ( trying to clear my 1 7/8 tangerine exast ) I lost patinict ( sorry excuess my spelling) trying to bend & line-up with clearance's ( linkage bar was probably bent before I got it ) . dry.gif

thanks Bill D.

brant
Bill,

do you have a link to the apex joints?
I'll do a search.. but thought I'd ask
brant
Bills914-4

Sorry it took so long had to wait till I got home from work , lets see if I did this
correctly , this should be the link ,

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&a...int&_sacat=
Eric_Shea
When does production start?

It already has started. It's called a Rennshift "Level III" kit. biggrin.gif
mepstein
agree.gif They don't seem that expensive for a fully developed and proven system that goes together quickly.
Krieger
Nice work! We love tthis kinda thinking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.