Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whew.... I didn't even have to email Jake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Spent another day and a half doing assembly.
Its going to be years at the rate I'm going
but measuring (to cut) pushrod tubes takes a long time
guess If I was smarter I'd be quicker...

4 down.. 4 to go
the big time killer was in building a bracket for the dial indicator
they got faster as I went.

ended up with really good lift numbers on my 9590 cam
and .30 shims under the rockers.
(wish I had bought shims before starting the project... had to run to napa and buy shim material, then cut/trim/and drill it to use it...)

finally starting to feel like a motor again

Thanks for the great write up article jake...
I ended up measuring all 4 independently
1 and 2 intakes came out only .01 apart, but exhausts a little more.
TheCabinetmaker
Is this for your race car? I thought you had a six.
Jake Raby
Good going..
BUT the rocker shaft end caps are installed upside down. :-)
RJMII
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 15 2010, 07:55 AM) *

Good going..
BUT the rocker shaft end caps are installed upside down. :-)

Your attention to detail is incredible!

How can you tell? Is it the shims, or the shape of the caps, or both?

brant
its going to be a street motor (Djet)
and resurrect a car I've had for way too many years...
my first 914, that I got as a teen.
car has been sitting in a storage building for way too long and needs to be back on the road!

Jake,
ha... I didn't even realize that. Bet I would of had a hard time getting the pushrod springs on. Thank you. I'll flip them

Thanks again for the great article. I wanted to get all of them done at once, per your article, but ran out of time. I feel good about the process though and the other 4 should be cake.

brant

bandjoey
I think the cut out for the push rod spring retainer goes 180 degrees opposite of where you have it. Experts to chime in?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 15 2010, 01:50 PM) *

I think the cut out for the push rod spring retainer goes 180 degrees opposite of where you have it. Experts to chime in?

Thats what Jake was commenting on....the rocker stands are upside down!
realred914
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 15 2010, 08:47 AM) *

its going to be a street motor (Djet)
and resurrect a car I've had for way too many years...
my first 914, that I got as a teen.
car has been sitting in a storage building for way too long and needs to be back on the road!

Jake,
ha... I didn't even realize that. Bet I would of had a hard time getting the pushrod springs on. Thank you. I'll flip them

Thanks again for the great article. I wanted to get all of them done at once, per your article, but ran out of time. I feel good about the process though and the other 4 should be cake.

brant

Hi Brant: seems like you are doing what i like to do, build a 2056 cc motor with d-jet.

just wondering all teh specifications on your motor build. also what article is it you refer to ? can you post same or link it?

I am in process of deciding on parts to buy for my motor.

please let me know what components you are using and issues you may have run into.
thanks
brant
QUOTE(realred914 @ Nov 15 2010, 11:35 AM) *

Hi Brant: seems like you are doing what i like to do, build a 2056 cc motor with d-jet.

just wondering all teh specifications on your motor build. also what article is it you refer to ? can you post same or link it?

I am in process of deciding on parts to buy for my motor.

please let me know what components you are using and issues you may have run into.
thanks

I'm actually building a 2.0 displacement

honestly, I'm re-using U.S. piston and cylinders that were in spec, with new rings. I honed them and re-ringed them. They are not the high compression piston and they are only 94's.

so the motor is pretty mild. Its got a melling oil pump that I worked over and has great tolerances. A Jake Raby cam kit (with all of the kit updates, and pushrods) A stock crank that is std/std and was micropolished. A line bored case that is now 2 over. (Believe it or not, this was a running motor and had never been line bored. Upon line boring it was found to be so far off that it actually had to go 2 over... I'm not trusting cases these days.... )
I had the heads rebuild stock by a very good builder They are now cut 1x.
(same guy that does my race motors)
Same race builder rebuilt/resized/rebushed the rods also.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something.. but basically a stock 2.0 motor with stock Djet. Just the cam upgrades and a lot of attention to detail, a lightweight flywheel and set of SSI's

nothing special about the motor. Just trying to get it right!
No issues at this point. Bearings were kinda hard-ish to find. I'm learning alot about things I thought I already knew well enough. There is a lot of detail to learn, and it makes me respect (even more) the good builders out there.

The article is just Jakes pushrod tube measurement article. Sorry I don't have the link on me at the moment, but its readily available. To be thourough, I read Van's, and a couple of others articles too. Plus I called my race builder for a 30 minute consultation and question period! (Thanks AJ!)

brant

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.