Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark at coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
Checking why car won't start, pulled the wire from the condenser and when I tried to place it back on the coil i got sparks. Could the condender be bad or something grounding in the dizzy?
TheCabinetmaker
which side of the coil ya plugging it into?
ruddyboys
Condeser, and tack -
ignition +
TheCabinetmaker
Large black wire goes to + side of coil. Condensor and tach goes to the - side of coil
TheCabinetmaker
opps, I read your last post wrong. My bad.
TheCabinetmaker
Have ya checked the points?
ruddyboys
I haven't checked gap, they do separate
TheCabinetmaker
Point gap shouldn't matter as long as they are not burned together. If you hook up the consensor wire and it starts to melt, or smoke comes from the diz, ya got something hooked up wrong, or a dead short.
ruddyboys
Nothing melts or smokes, car just wont start. cranck fine just wont start. That when I tried diconnecting the condenser wire. When I put it back to the - terminal I got the spark at the terminal. If there is a ground would it be in the dizzy?
TheCabinetmaker
It should not spark when plugging it in. Do you have spark from the coil wire with everything connected?
ruddyboys
I checked the wirt from pulg 1, while cranking I got a very week looking spark
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, go check the point gap, or use a dwell meter. Too much or not enough dwell will cause a no start condition
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.