Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, if i was going to bastardize a factory /6 ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
AndyB
Here is an easy question for you. Who's car is it? There lies your answer biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Nov 26 2010, 01:57 PM) *

Here is an easy question for you. Who's car is it? There lies your answer biggrin.gif

Not really ...

It may not be clear to some of you, but i actually *do* know that i own this car. rolleyes.gif

Reminding me that my car is in fact my car is nice and all but i posted this thread to get the members opinion on the matter. I specifically *asked* for their opinions. poke.gif

I already know what my opinion is. That wasn't my question ... biggrin.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2010, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Nov 26 2010, 01:57 PM) *

Not really ...

It may not be clear to some of you, but i actually *do* know that i own this car. rolleyes.gif

Reminding me that my car is in fact my car is nice and all but i posted this thread to get the members opinion on the matter. I specifically *asked* for their opinions. poke.gif

I already know what my opinion is. That wasn't my question ... biggrin.gif

Then really why do you care what others think? Either they will get over it or they wont
r_towle
build it and get it right this time...
Do all the things you wanted to do the first time.
I totally understand the need to do a second round...just to fix and replace all sorts of little things.

Just wait till you see what I am basterdising...talk about getting a pile of crap thrown at you...but I dont care, nor should you.
Same deal...I have a tub..that is all I have.
I could never build this car correctly...I dont have the original parts.
I want a fast, fun and unique car.

Do it.
I suspect a 3.6 with a /6 shell will still sell for a boatload.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Nov 26 2010, 03:06 PM) *
Then really why do you care what others think? Either they will get over it or they wont

It's called education ... shades.gif
Most of what i know today came from somebody else, either directly or indirectly.

Someone here might have a point against what i want to do that i totally overlooked.
Or someone may remind me of something that i had forgotten.

Either way, i value the input from everybody ...
popcorn[1].gif
RiqueMar
You're doing the same thing as my Dad is. Atleast you're being polite and asking about it, lol
mepstein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Nov 27 2010, 06:59 PM) *

You're doing the same thing as my Dad is. Atleast you're being polite and asking about it, lol

Any more done on your car or your fathers'. Looking forward to updates/finished product.
BK911
Deciding to restore the car is easy, restore it.

Engine options are easy too. If not the original engine, put in whatever you want. Even if original engine, put in whatever you want but save the orignal engine.

Flares? Tough call. I personally like the narrow bodied look. But with a 3.6? You need some tires, so you need some flares.

So IMHO....

Do it! Just get the beast back on the road. if you build the car you want resale wont be an issue, because you will never sell it.
MartyYeoman
Have fun with it. smash.gif
Just don't turn it into a trailer for your limousine. sawzall-smiley.gif
KaptKaos
A) It's your car, do what you want.
2) If you don't have the original engine and trans, no matter what you do, it won't be original.
C) It takes courage to take a somewhat rare car like that and make it into your own expression. The early 356 Outlaw guys had to put up with the same sort of challenges.
4) When anyone tells you what it "could" be worth, just remember that the top of the market is always reserved for original, low mileage examples. None of which applies to this tub.
E) You set yourself up by over-valuing the tub. Because the VIN begins with 914 versus 47, you thought it worth $5k. Obviously, it isn't worth that since no one has stepped up to buy it.
6) If you want to see it saved, offer it in trade for a non-6 tub + cash. Let someone else get a deal, and you still get a tub to build your project car from.
VII) Take lots of pictures of your progress, but finish the limo first laugh.gif
J P Stein
What makes you think we don't hate you now? biggrin.gif

By now you should know my thinking on the subject of old, rusty German sheet metal that's been taking up space for years.

If it's not clear: Make something you want of it.
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2010, 02:29 PM) *
would you guys hate me (more than usual)?
No, no more than that. biggrin.gif
Hontec
Do with it what your heart tell's you....... your car, your plans........it has to end up being something you enjoy and not what the rest enjoys..........

By the way, i would love to restore a chassis like that, but I would do the same, make it into my own thing, regardless if it was an original -6 or not..

Randall
Eric_Shea
I'll expound a tad more...

A 914 tub is a 914 tub. The better, the better (all the circle talk ties into the "I'd do what I did" comment) biggrin.gif

I agree with George on the -6 tub thing for the most part. There are two cases where I think it could net you more to use that tub in the end:

1) Build it out as a stock 914-6. Something you're not looking to do at this point.
2) Build it as a "Dead Nuts/Spot On" GT clone. That would mean no 3.6 and no full cage etc. I've seen well done GT clones (Peter's car) go for big money and I think the -6 numbers had a lot to do with that (not to mention the flawless execution of the build).

For what you would like to do (going off your list), I would contemplate either lowering the price of your tub so someone else can take on the task of bringing it back to a rare 914-6 (one of the most limited "production" cars ever made by Porsche) or, keep the tub and start saving money and parts to take on another 914-6 project some day (this may not be your last if you're like many here). A few hundred bucks a month and in 5 short years you've aquired $12,000 worth of original 914-6 parts. Most are easy to find.

If you lower the price of the tub so someone else can restore it, you could put that money into a lot of metal work on a very straight clean CA -4 tub. $3-4k would go a long way toward getting a tub paint worthy (flares, stiffening, cage, misc. rust repair, etc.) at which point all you would have to do is have it painted and start bolting on parts. There is really no advantage in doing this to a -6 tub vs. a -4 tub and in fact, as mentioned in this paragraph, the -6 tub, with it's serial numbers, could go a long way in helping your project along.

You might want to take that approach a step further with "Bird in Hand" thinking. Buy a driver so you're not 914less... sell the 914-6 tub and use that money to get your current 3.6 car up to the level of prep you want. As you go through it, change the things you want changed, fix what needs fixing and clean and restore the existing parts you have that already makeup a good portion of what you're looking to do. Put it back together and enjoy. Then sell the daily driver you bought (for a little more than you bought it for). You'll have saved an old friend who's served you well and... you already have it running so not much need for more parts etc.

I think you've had plenty of "it's your car" advice so hopefully this will provide a different side of the coin to look at. While I'm not a die hard "purist" I do recognize there is value in a tub in which the serial number begins with 914. I'd leverage that value as much as possible. wink.gif
krk
Andy!

It's been a while I know, and I'm sure you need to hear this now smile.gif

As others have noted, from a buck-o-la perspective and occasionally from a bragging perspective,
a 914xx serial number is a better base to build from. The only time it gets interesting is when you
are looking at a complete factory /6 - once you ditch the original 2.0L, you can punt the "original"
label (giving you lots of arti$tic freedom) from your build. I'm thinking this is not an issue here smile.gif
This isn't a "numbers matching" sort of game. I'm thinking that anything you do that is in
a high performance line will probably be fine from a "protect you investment" sort of thought.

As to what you build, unless you start welding in fiero parts, it's unlikely you'll be in much trouble.

ymmv,

kim.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 28 2010, 11:59 AM) *
I'll expound a tad more...

All good points there, thanks for taking the time to write it out ... beerchug.gif

I know first hand (well, second hand actually) how expensive and time consuming it can be to build a good GT-Clone. And when you're done, you end up with a YAGTC (Yet Another GT Clone).
I'm not sure that is something i want to do ... confused24.gif

McMark had some good points in his post, it seems that most everything on my list would be reversible if it ever came to that.

I don't have *any* parts with the shell. It will never be "original". I don't think i want to spend years of my life chasing elusive original /6 parts.

For me, right now, the biggest hurdle is the needed body work. McMark and i have been talking about all the pieces that need attention, and it's a lot of metal work.

After that, i have pretty much everything to build this shell up into a running car. Yes, there would be a lot of "wrong" (happy11.gif) parts on it, but the shell would be a solid, straight and rust free 914-6 body.

Why can't this be easy? hissyfit.gif
Hontec
The last 3 lines in your message above made it easy.....plain and simple
dlestep
...it's your visualization...your car...your money...have at it...you have my best wishes...personally, I would do the same thing...without testing concurrence...
r_towle
AAAndy.
Take a look at this...it may be worth a visit...its nearby in the Bay area.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ngine-sale.html

Rich
Eric_Shea
YAGTC

I found my new license plate... huh.gif

For me, right now, the biggest hurdle is the needed body work. McMark and i have been talking about all the pieces that need attention, and it's a lot of metal work.

That's always a huge foundation piece. Done right and you've got a killer build on your hands. But... it's rarely inexpensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.