Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, if i was going to bastardize a factory /6 ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
So, if i was going to bastardize a factory /6 would you guys hate me (more than usual)?

idea.gif
Steve
If you turn it into a 9014, we might question your sanity!! LOL
AndyB
Of course not stick.gif
rick 918-S
What's up? idea.gif
MoveQik
Cut it, chop it, slam it.....make it electric. Who cares? I'm sure it'll be cool. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
I wouldn't. I'd regret it when real 914-6s get to $50-60K.
EdwardBlume
BTW- I would buy that shell off you if I had the spare cash laying around.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 24 2010, 01:41 PM) *
BTW- I would buy that shell off you if I had the spare cash laying around.

biggrin.gif

Well, i'm thinking all the goodies ...

- Full Rollcage
- Custom GT Steel Flares, 9" front, 11" rear
- 3.6L engine
- 9x17 wheels up front, 11x17 wheels in the rear
- Custom front bumper and air-dam
- Custom front oil cooler and venting
- Custom Rear spoiler
- Custom exhaust
- Custom 915 transmission
- Boxster brakes
- GT headlight kit
- Custom interior
- Custom paint

That's the short list ... popcorn[1].gif
Gustl
please don't do this to a real /6 yikes.gif

btw ... did my friend Peter (from Bavaria) ever contact you about #374 idea.gif

rjames
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2010, 01:29 PM) *

So, if i was going to bastardize a factory /6 would you guys hate me (more than usual)?

idea.gif

If it's the 914-6 shell you have, I say go for it. Enough time has gone by that if someone really wanted to save it they should have stepped up by now.

Go for it! aktion035.gif
windforfun
Who cares? It's JUST another 914/6.

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 24 2010, 02:05 PM) *
If it's the 914-6 shell you have, I say go for it. Enough time has gone by that if someone really wanted to save it they should have stepped up by now.

Exactly my thinking. happy11.gif

It's been for sale for a long time. Some interest, but nothing solid.

All i have is the bare shell which still needs a lot of metal work.
And i have no original /6 parts to go with it, just the shell.
So a concourse restoration would cost me a fortune.

I feel like i'd rather save the car by making it into something i would really enjoy driving using parts i already have.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=92489

popcorn[1].gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
YOU the good and proper German would NEVER do such a thing!

There are way too many 914s out there waiting to be saved than to ruin a rare example!

AND if you think that people hate you...

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2010, 02:29 PM) *

idea.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 24 2010, 02:00 PM) *
did my friend Peter (from Bavaria) ever contact you about #374 idea.gif

I don't think so. I haven't had any interest in the car for a while.

Did you give him my (old) email? If so, that one hasn't been working for months ... idea.gif
Twise
I think if you do a nice job on it it will be worth as much or more than a 914-6, oh wait it is a 914-6... Go nuts man, can't wait to see it...
rick 918-S
I'm kind of with you on this one Sir. That shell has been for sale for a long time and no bites. No matter what you do to it it can be undone. It will always still be a 6 chassis.

The car needs everything. I mean everything including body panels. I'd do it.
balljoint
Uh Oh
MDG
Do it.
carr914
No problems from me. The way I look at it, unless it is a "Real" GT, 914-6s are a $20-35k car, which is a lot less than anybody buying a New BMW or Cadillac, so what you do is all good.
gandalf_025
Maybe I'm crazy......
I just looked over your thread on the 6 tub you would be using. Judging by your asking price, You seem to place a pretty high value on it for a stripped out banged up tub.
I would think you could find a much more suitable.. "as in more functional" 4 to use as a donor for your newest project for a fair amount less than the asking price of that..

Why not find a suitable "4" donor and offer your tub for sale at that price and maybe give someone the chance to save a factory 6 and get you something that would actually be less work for you. Seems like that could work IF you can find someone with the cash to do the deal ?? Just a thought.....

Lou W
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Nov 24 2010, 07:17 PM) *

Maybe I'm crazy......
I just looked over your thread on the 6 tub you would be using. Judging by your asking price, You seem to place a pretty high value on it for a stripped out banged up tub.
I would think you could find a much more suitable.. "as in more functional" 4 to use as a donor for your newest project for a fair amount less than the asking price of that..

Why not find a suitable "4" donor and offer your tub for sale at that price and maybe give someone the chance to save a factory 6 and get you something that would actually be less work for you. Seems like that could work IF you can find someone with the cash to do the deal ?? Just a thought.....

agree.gif

The tub really isn't costing you anything by just sitting there, I'm sure as time goes on, the value will continue to go up on real 6's. You could probably get a pretty nice project car with more parts than what your current tub has for just as much money that you're asking for the 6 tub, then sell off the extra parts. smile.gif
Spoke
Go for it.

I'm sure it will be one hell of a car when you're done.
tod914
It's not a real NARP.. go for it.
Krieger
Kind of a bummer, but if you have to piece it all together to be original it would be cost you a fortune. If you could at least put the ignition on the left it would look more like a real 6. Lots of original 6s have been modified like crazy. It would still be an original 6 just tweaked. Too bad I bought my wreck 7 years ago and parted it out. Whats the hell hole like?
Mike Bellis
I'll give you my red 72 tub just to stop you from cutting a real -6.
Mark Henry
So build this not stock or let it sit for another 20 years rolleyes.gif

Just build the damn thing. shades.gif
McMark
- Full Rollcage - Reversible
- Custom GT Steel Flares, 9" front, 11" rear
- 3.6L engine - Reversible, assuming you keep the factory mount.
- 9x17 wheels up front, 11x17 wheels in the rear - Reversible
- Custom front bumper and air-dam - Reversible
- Custom front oil cooler and venting - Reversible
- Custom Rear spoiler - Reversible
- Custom exhaust - Reversible
- Custom 915 transmission - Reversible
- Boxster brakes - Reversible
- GT headlight kit - Reversible
- Custom interior - Reversible
- Custom paint - Reversible

Most of the stuff you're thinking of is bolt on, easily reversible. So do whatever you want.

Here's the GOOD stuff you'll be doing.
- Bringing another 914/6 back from the dead.
- Building the car you've always wanted.
- Clearing another parking spot out of my yard. av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Nov 24 2010, 05:17 PM) *

Maybe I'm crazy......

Because i can "ask" any price i want for my tub. biggrin.gif
I don't need the cash. I don't have to sell the shell. That's why i priced it at $5k. I figured, if someone is serious about restoring a real /6, they'll pay enough for me to let it go. So far, that hasn't happen.

I already have a /4 with a big motor. I don't want another /4 project.
The /6 shell does have some pedigree so if i go and spent a wad of money on building a car from the ground up, why not use the /6 shell i already have?
shades.gif
r_towle
cause your not done building your red car yet....you know you want to do a few more things.

If you really want to do one from scratch...you have the tub, do it.
I'll give you 2k for the tub, mostly cause after I ship it, its gonna sit im my barn for a while till I decide what to do with it... lol
Rich
echocanyons
That car is screaming to be driven, do whatever it takes.

Also with the issues from the wreck that chassis sustained it makes it the perfect a great candidate for what you are thinking, most if which would be fine addition to any non concourse 914/6.
championgt1
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 24 2010, 06:27 PM) *

So build this not stock or let it sit for another 20 years rolleyes.gif

Just build the damn thing. shades.gif

agree.gif Build it. It's yours. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2010, 07:28 PM) *
cause your not done building your red car yet....you know you want to do a few more things.

That's EXACTLY why we're having this talk ...

There's lots of stuff i want to do to the red car. Problem is, i did cut too many corners the first time around.
In order to get the red car to where i want it, i would have to strip it down to the bare metal (again), do a bunch of metal work, then clean every nut and bolt and put it all back together.

Sounds familiar? It should because i'm asking myself, if i have to go through all this trouble to build the car i want, why not do it to the /6 instead.

It'll be the same amount of work for either car to become what i want it to be ...
beer3.gif
Andyrew
I say go for it..

If you got the cash, The properly done custom 6's are worth more than the properly done 4's.. Probably by 3k more...

Food for thought.
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2010, 11:39 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2010, 07:28 PM) *

That's EXACTLY why were having this talk ...

There's lots of stuff i want to do to the red car. Problem is, i did cut too many corners the first time around.
In order to get the red car to where i want it, i would have to strip it down to the bare metal (again), do a bunch of metal work, then clean every nut and bolt and put it all back together.

Sounds familiar? It should because i'm asking myself, if i have to go through all this trouble to build the car i want, why not do it to the /6 instead.

It'll be the same amount of work for either car to become what i want it to be ...
beer3.gif

Do it...have your cake and eat it too.
Drive the red car like you stole it.
Build the /6 tub the way you really wanted to the first time.
Move motor over...put a /4 in the red car and sell it.

Mark will love you.
Rich
markb
I am a believer in driving a car, rather than having a show piece. On the other hand, I personally would think twice about the super wide flares. Except for that, anything you do to it is reversible if you wanted to make it a "stock" six again. I myself would never own a true six, simply because I tend to make mine the way I want it, as opposed to keeping it stock. If you're going to be doing more mods to the red car, why not put the super wide flares on it, after the six is done?
pete-stevers
I'd say just do it!
to hell with the rest of us!
and no sandblasting dis time.....sir
SirAndy
Sandblasting is the devil! barf.gif

As for the flares, i'm kinda stuck with the 9"/11" flares as first bought the wheels and tires first and *then* noticed they're too wide for the standard GT flares ... rolleyes.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51696

I have a set of FG 9/11 flares that i could put on the red car to see if i like the look.

*If* i do this to the /6, i would build wider flares using a set of steel flares as a base and weld in additional metal. Same look, but all metal.

screwy.gif
hcdmueller
If I lived in the states I would have bought that chassis from you. I even have a lot of good parts to put on it. I just don't have anywhere to store it until I move back. Build the car you want. I am sure it will be amazing.
MikeSpraggi
It will still be a real six. It will still have pedigree. These cars were meant to be driven. Heck, the factory and dealers even modded original/standard sixes, didn't they. It's a car, it'll be nice when you're done. There are still some narrow body original /6's around for the preservasionists and museum goers to see. Even at vintage racing events. Not EVERYONE with an original is going to customize their car. Go for it.
JoeSharp
Andy: It's the perfect car to do it to. I was hoping that Thomas would do it when he had it. Once the original motor is gone you might as well do anything you want to them, because after that they will only be customs.
badm
Andy Do what you want, it's your car. I catch shit on what I have done with my Six from some of the guys, but others love it. You can't please everyone,Just work on pleasing yourself. I'd love to see do it up the way you want. Badm biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 24 2010, 04:15 PM) *

There are way too many 914s out there waiting to be saved than to ruin a rare example!

idea.gif

why don't you fuckin buy it then?
it's been for sale for a long time...

Andy, it's your car, do what you want, and I know andy will do whatever he does, tthe right way... and beyond that, it's no one else's business...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 24 2010, 02:15 PM) *

idea.gif

Well that settles it. blink.gif

I think perhaps a Max Moritz or some other replica. I have a bunch of front and rear lids to donate that might be better. Let's get that tub media blasted and get to work!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(badm @ Nov 25 2010, 02:43 PM) *

Andy Do what you want, it's your car. I catch shit on what I have done with my Six from some of the guys, but others love it. You can't please everyone,Just work on pleasing yourself. I'd love to see do it up the way you want. Badm biggrin.gif

I agree, do what you want with your car...if it's a quality build it'll be great and everyone will come around and love it. Just think how many WILD real 6's are in Excellence magazine that we all drool over wink.gif
Like some have mentioned here- it’s your car. As for taking SH- - .I too have been down that road My –6 is a Euro 71-6 and I 1) sold the original motor (young and needed $) 2) had Assco Racing build / install a cage 3) metal finish a set of factory flares..etc etc.. At the end of the day…” I did it my way. “
Krieger
Food for thought: you have a bare 6 shell. How much money/time will you invest in accumulating all the parts? Is it maybe worth it to find a "rust free" car with a dead engine? Hell that 4 in Florida that Krista had could be a great choice. She could get a title if she wanted. $500 to ship......just sayin.
carr914
That's the point - Andy has a bare shell, so he can start from scratch. The shell has been sitting with no buyers, so anything done is a plus.

And as far as Krista's car goes, the most recent pictures don't look good - the rust monster got a hold of it in the wrong spots. Even a Cali rust-free roller would be more work than what Andy has.

Andy, can't wait for the "Build" Thread beer.gif
Eric_Shea
I would do what I did.
sixxx

idea.gif

Just make sure it is a true "Outlaw". Keep the original engine & trans for future sale. You will get top dollar going that route. aktion035.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixxx @ Nov 26 2010, 01:17 PM) *

idea.gif

Just make sure it is a true "Outlaw". Keep the original engine & trans for future sale. You will get top dollar going that route. aktion035.gif

Pretty sure Andy said he has nothing but the bare shell, it would take finding a wrecked or rusted /6 to make a whole car again. Still wouldn't be an "original" car.

You have a straight tub, build it as you want it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.