Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 1,7 dipstick comparision
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
Just discovered the difference in min/max marking on the dipsticks for a VW411LE and a 914/4, both -72.
The min on the 914 seems to be the max on the 411, despite this the sticks are identical.
In addition to this the 914/4 had a some extra arrangements in the crankcase to prevent high sea in the oil (from which year model?).

The lower stick is the 914/4 one.

IPB Image
URY914
Are the stops at the top at the same location on the stick?
larss
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 27 2010, 03:06 PM) *

Are the stops at the top at the same location on the stick?

Yes length, stop and also the tube in which they go are same shape and length.

/Lars S
larss
Both sticks with dimensions.
/Lars S

IPB Image

realred914
well I'd not use that "411" dipstick in a 914 motor as factory configured.

my referecance books shows two different engine configureations for the 411 car.

In 1970 the engine pictured looks the same as the 914 motor as far as oil filler and dip stick placement go.
the 1971 411 motor however is different in the photos, the oil filler is changed although only the top of the motor is shown in the photo, the oil filler and dip stick are not visable, in place of the 914 style oil filler cap and funnel there is a flat cap clipped on, the dip stick is NOT in the 914 location.
I can only assume that the oil filler was moved for teh 1971 411, maybe to behind the liscence plate? (thus you wont need to remove your luggage in the rear of the car to add or check oil)

so it appears that the 411 had two oil filler and dip stick locations. if the dip stick hole was indeed moved to behind the liscence plate (just an assumption) then a lower level make senses on the stick, but the sumps oil level should be the same on all typeIV motors different dip stick locations will mean the level marks may be different even though the required level in the sump is the same.

note the vw busses had a different dip stick location and filler as well, again to allow access to teh filler and dipstick without the need of removing cargo to acces the engine lid and hence filler and dip stick.

ref.... VW FI technical manual, Henry Elfrink, 1971,
larss
Yes I agree, the 411 had two types of dipsticks, the Variant had the filler and stick outside of the engine compartment at the rear end of the boot (so that one did not have to open the service door to the engine under the boot carpet). The Coupe had it in the same way as the 914 since the Coupe did not have a service door over the engine. I have two 411 Coupes in my garage to compare with.

Still there is something strange with this since referring to my measuring of the dipstick levels the 914/4 would have had a quite larger oil volume than the 411 but all 411 and 914/4 manuals I have seen (even the owners manual) lists the oil capacity the same to 3,5litres (only Hanyes lists 7,3 US pints for the 411 and 7,4 US pints for the 914/4 but that difference is wery marginal).

/Lars S
realred914
QUOTE(larss @ Nov 28 2010, 09:50 AM) *

Yes I agree, the 411 had two types of dipsticks, the Variant had the filler and stick outside of the engine compartment at the rear end of the boot (so that one did not have to open the service door to the engine under the boot carpet). The Coupe had it in the same way as the 914 since the Coupe did not have a service door over the engine. I have two 411 Coupes in my garage to compare with.

Still there is something strange with this since referring to my measuring of the dipstick levels the 914/4 would have had a quite larger oil volume than the 411 but all 411 and 914/4 manuals I have seen (even the owners manual) lists the oil capacity the same to 3,5litres (only Hanyes lists 7,3 US pints for the 411 and 7,4 US pints for the 914/4 but that difference is wery marginal).

/Lars S

ah ha, good detective work, not so much a yearmodel change as a fastback (coupe) verses squareback (wagon) thing!
stugray
Not meaning to thread-jack, but on a related note:

Where can I get the tubing to replace the dipstick tube?

As usually happens with these motors, My 2.0L was stored for a long time, transported, and the tube is broken.

Stu
IronHillRestorations
You have to split the case to put a new tube in.
stugray
Case is ready to put back together.
Where can I get the tube?

Stu
larss
QUOTE(larss @ Nov 27 2010, 01:33 PM) *

Just discovered the difference in min/max marking on the dipsticks for a VW411LE and a 914/4, both -72.
The min on the 914 seems to be the max on the 411, despite this the sticks are identical.
In addition to this the 914/4 had a some extra arrangements in the crankcase to prevent high sea in the oil (from which year model?).

IPB Image

Drained and topped up the oil in my 914 today, the difference in volume at the different dipsticks are are as follows:
Upper 411 mark to lower 914 mark: approx 100ml
Lower 914 mark to upper 914 mark: approx 350ml

That's OK with me but why does the 411 and 914 manuals list the same oil capacity?

/Lars
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(larss @ Jan 2 2011, 02:07 AM) *

QUOTE(larss @ Nov 27 2010, 01:33 PM) *

IPB Image

Drained and topped up the oil in my 914 today, the difference in volume at the different dipsticks are are as follows:
Upper 411 mark to lower 914 mark: approx 100ml
Lower 914 mark to upper 914 mark: approx 350ml

That's OK with me but why does the 411 and 914 manuals list the same oil capacity?

/Lars

Because they HAVE the same oil capacity!

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.