Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New GT Half Cage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Rand
Seems like adding a short tube, elbow to crotch, would make a big difference in that example. The bend with no support is sketchy. Wait, the more I look at that, the more it bugs me. The bend is bad. It would be better to make the side tube straight and connect it lower to the rollbar than bend it like that. Ugh, we are venturing outside best design standards. Bends are for hoops. Tubes between pillars should be straight and triangulate. Hey I'm a poet and don't know it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 1 2010, 09:20 PM) *

Seems like adding a short tube, elbow to crotch, would make a big difference in that example. The bend with no support is sketchy. Wait, the more I look at that, the more it bugs me. The bend is bad. It would be better to make the side tube straight and connect it lower to the rollbar than bend it like that. Ugh, we are venturing outside best design standards. Bends are for hoops. Tubes between pillars should be straight and triangulate. Hey I'm a poet and don't know it.

Here's what Tony did on my cage. Ignore the temp bracing ...

IPB Image
Lou W
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 1 2010, 11:20 PM) *

How about this brace?
Rand
Bingo.
jgara962
drooley.gif if I wasn't in massive debt from the new house...
That is a great looking piece Mark.
McMark
Can't you add a new cage to your home loan? av-943.gif
McMark
Material for three cages ordered today for delivery next week! welder.gif
J P Stein
Note the back-up for the door bars. I see some with (Andy's, for instance) & some without.
TROJANMAN
I'd order one, but I think I am going to wait for AA to offer it for $5 cheaper in a "What's New" thread

Should expect to see one real soon...........

av-943.gif
bcaschera
Could this work to replace my "missing" targa bar idea.gif ?
Click to view attachment
McMark
It would be better than nothing. sunglasses.gif
turboman808
Wow that looks fantastic. I have been putting off doing any work on my car but this with some interior upgrades would look so sweet.
racerbvd
How is this project progressing???
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 1 2010, 10:20 PM) *

I asked Dennis at Assco Racing about the same thing years ago and he mention the same thing- "side tube straight and connect it lower to the rollbar than bend it"

Also when I mentioned OK..But can you build me one anyway? His response was NO – it’s too much liability… in a racing environment

For the street- a great looking product- good luck with your project!
9146BRUCE
Hi Mark
How is the half cage going.

Bruce
carr914
Certainly not a Hijack, but if someone buys a McMark Bar and wants the forward pieces, I have them from a Safety Devices Cage that I just used the rear bar
malaga_red75
QUOTE(9146BRUCE @ Aug 16 2011, 02:06 PM) *

Hi Mark
How is the half cage going.

Bruce

I'd like to know too. I talked to Mark a few weeks ago about one but nothing came of it.

I'm still interested!

Thanks,

Peter
9146BRUCE
Well I gave mark the money in November for one, I have PM him twice and not heard back.

Bruce
BuddyV
emailed Mark asking if I could stop in to introduce myself (I am local).... he responded quickly.

He's around.... busy, I'm sure.

Cheers!
9146BRUCE
Hi Mark whats the story on the half cage.
Bruce
McMark
Sent a PM. Not sure what happened to the other PMs I sent... confused24.gif Certainly not hiding from ya!
racerbvd
I would still love to trade for one beer.gif
wndsrfr
Mark.....any update on the GT half cage? I'm looking to install something this winter...
9146BRUCE
Hi Mark I have 2 weeks off a xmas I was wondering if I could come up and pick up the half cage then. Please let me know

Bruce
McMark
Yup, getting them all built this month now that I'm finally getting caught up on all the cars.
Vysoc
Mark,

When you get them going, I am very interested in one.

Thanks,
Vysoc flag.gif
9146BRUCE
Hi Mark I was wondering if I can come up and pick up my Half Cage on December 28 or the 29 please let me know.
Thanks Bruce
Zimms
icon_bump.gif

Any updates?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Zimms @ Jan 18 2012, 07:23 AM) *

icon_bump.gif

Any updates?

Actually, Mark was building half-cages today... biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 18 2012, 07:04 PM) *
QUOTE(Zimms @ Jan 18 2012, 07:23 AM) *
icon_bump.gif

Any updates?

Actually, Mark was building half-cages today... biggrin.gif

agree.gif

I saw pitchers ... beer3.gif
ConeDodger
Did it look like this?

(stolen from the Original Customs Facebook page)
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 18 2012, 07:21 PM) *
Did it look like this?

Maybe ... happy11.gif
Zimms
Cool! Thanks for posting pix!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Zimms @ Jan 19 2012, 03:29 AM) *

Cool! Thanks for posting pix!

Hold on now! I'm not sayin' that's Mark, or that that is a GT half-cage being made. I'm just sayin' it looks like Mark and it looks like a GT half-cage. Ya'll draw your own conclusions evilgrin.gif

Mark's a little busy trying to have a life outside of Original Customs and 914World right now... He might have more time if my 240Z would sit, lay down, and roll over when he commanded it... blink.gif
Elliot Cannon
I think that damn Japanese car has contaminated his shop. happy11.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 19 2012, 10:01 AM) *

I think that damn Japanese car has contaminated his shop. happy11.gif

He thinks it's a curse... He has two in the shop and neither will run right!
shuie
Damn, I wish I had seen this thread when the pre-orders were being taken. I really, really, want one of these.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(shuie @ Feb 11 2012, 04:18 PM) *

Damn, I wish I had seen this thread when the pre-orders were being taken. I really, really, want one of these.

Contact Mark... Very reasonable guy. He will probably hook you up. Just tell him I said building you a half-cage would probably be easier than tuning my 240Z! lol-2.gif
Zimms
UPS stopped by!

Click to view attachment

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(Zimms @ Mar 8 2012, 01:21 PM) *

UPS stopped by!

Click to view attachment

SWEET!!!!
McMark
Looks like they tried to lose one of the down-bars. Glad it stayed with the rest. Guess I'll have to do a better job on packaging.
Zimms
Between the plastic wrap and the ties, it stayed, but it came out pretty easy when I broke the tie wrap and wiggled the piece a little.

It looks great!
Aaron Cox
These look fantastic mark!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Zimms @ Mar 8 2012, 12:21 PM) *

UPS stopped by!

aktion035.gif
Aaron Cox
Mark,

Do you have any pics of your hoop installed in customers cars yet?

Looks rad.
jhadler
Looks really great! Has anyone confirmed if this design would meet SCCA or NASA roll bar requirements for Time Trials or Hillclimbs?

Another thought on improving rigidity, is to add another forward bar that runs along the longitudinal. The trick, I've been told is, tightly clamp the bar to the long, then weld it into place along with the cage.

Don't know if it'd make a difference or not, but thought I'd mention it.

-Josh2
Chris Pincetich
beerchug.gif
can't wait to see instal pics
beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jhadler @ Mar 23 2012, 03:50 PM) *

...Has anyone confirmed if this design would meet SCCA or NASA roll bar requirements for Time Trials or Hillclimbs?

doesn't look like it meets any current SCCA regs.
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 2 2010, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 1 2010, 09:20 PM) *

Here's what Tony did on my cage. Ignore the temp bracing ...

IPB Image

Tony does great work.

If you're street driving you're more likely to get bonked on the top bar (back hoop to front hoop) than the front.

My original cage was like yours and there was nothing, in the form of restraints, to keep my head from hitting that back to front top bar. The big racing belts I use would keep your head from going forward and hitting the front hoop, but guessing most don't use the shoulder harnesses on the street as they aren't very comfortable if cinched tight. Most just use the lap belts.

I like the cage I have now in that there is nothing high in the front (you can see) and the side bar is pretty hard to hit even if you try. Of course you might not want to cut your windshield off. smile.gif
JamesM
Are you still making these? After taking another look at Erics car I am considering pulling my 3 point bar and going with something like this instead.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.