BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Dan: Don't know a thing about that company. But I have used a dash cap like

that one for 5 yr. If you have a nice uncracked dash it's good Ins. and

protection from the sun. The only time it.s not on the 914 is at a show or

display. That price seems high to me . You could probbly get 1 here

cheaper. My 2 cents./ Dave slap.gif
hot_shoe914
I bought one for a car but sold the car shortly after so I can't testify as to how they hold up. However, it did look good on the car and as for the price, I think I gotmine for 70 or 75 a couple years agoon Ebay.

Shoe
Grelber
I have one on that I got from ebay for $75.00. It's only been on for a few months, but the fit is good, and unless you are right up on it, you can't tell it's not an original dash.
914itis
QUOTE(Grelber @ Dec 5 2010, 08:03 PM) *

I have one on that I got from ebay for $75.00. It's only been on for a few months, but the fit is good, and unless you are right up on it, you can't tell it's not an original dash.

do you have the ebay's seller ID?
silver74insocal
i wonder how good it actually fits as there is no distinction between late and early dashes popcorn[1].gif
dangrouche
Dan, I have a dash cap; not necessarily the one you got in your link, but found the same one you hyperlinked for $68.15

http://www.familycar.com/store/?Ntt=porsch...ap&oes=true

Its pretty good, I have this one one on mine, it has a pebble finish, and is truly unnoticieable unless you grip the shell and pull it up. Ii doesn't need glue and I would not use double sided tape. I have removed it and it requires a little flexing to fit it. This dash pad is where I stick my Garmin plastic disc for the suction cup mount. I would say its the quickest way to stop having to stare at your dash cacks. I would buy it if I was not willing to change out the glass or recover the dash. I think Jeff Bowlsby is trying to sell an OEM one for more than $1000.
DanT
thanks for the link smile.gif
tod914
The one's to protect the dash from cover king are really nice. Pelican has them.
carr914
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Dec 5 2010, 07:01 PM) *

If you have a nice uncracked dash it's good Ins. and protection from the sun.

I actually think the opposite. If you have the cap on, the original dash will heat up and will not be able to breathe. I think it will crack more. The last car I took a cap off, was cracked beyond belief
EdwardBlume
I've used two. Never needed glue. Didn't add cracks in the N Cal Bay Area. Hard to tell its hard plastic vs stock unless you have CW tendencies. Price is very reasonable vs the alternative.

BTW - be very careful with "perfect" dashes. I bought one over 12 years ago that had no cracks and was "perfect" until I dropped it, and the vinyl shattered. 30+ years of heat cycling will render all of them useless at some point..
StratPlayer
If you have to glue them down then they suck.. Scroll to the bottom for the 914 cover, it's held in place by the A pillars

http://s244276042.onlinehome.us/redash%20pg.htm
VaccaRabite
I have a cap on my car that I got off eabay 3 or 4 years ago, and several folks have asked how my dash was uncracked. You can not tell it is a cap until you look close. The dead giveaway on my car is the ashtray opening, as there is no ashtray there now and you can see the cap lip.

Mine is not glued down, though it came with glue I did not use it and have had zero problems with it.

Zach
Valy
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 5 2010, 03:47 PM) *

anyone used one of these from this company
dash cap

I repaired mine myself.
Here are the before and after pictures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
monkeyboy
How did you do the repairs?
Beach914
I bought one off of eBay from a guy in Phoenix and the ashtray opening was shifted almost 1/4" off location. I managed to get it to fit but had to glue it down to do it. I called him during the installation and he refused to admit that it was bad. I think it was a vacuum formed reject and he resell them cheaper.

I gave him average but not stellar feedback on eBay and he tried to slam me. eBay wiped his feedback of me off.

I would do another, just not from him.
Valy
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Dec 6 2010, 01:06 PM) *

How did you do the repairs?

Cross-posting the thread
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=210261
underthetire
I have one on my 73. Trick is to get the high spots out of your cracked dash first.
reharvey
My dash cap has been on for over 10 yrs. without a problem. It is glued down. Ray smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Dec 6 2010, 09:34 AM) *

If you have to glue them down then they suck.. Scroll to the bottom for the 914 cover, it's held in place by the A pillars

Linky no bueno. WTF.gif

QUOTE(Valy @ Dec 6 2010, 02:01 PM) *

dash cap

I repaired mine myself.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And you replaced that god awful brown dash face,too. ty. What did you do with the steering wheel in the first pic?
Valy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 1 2011, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Dec 6 2010, 09:34 AM) *

Linky no bueno. WTF.gif

dash cap

I repaired mine myself.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And you replaced that god awful brown dash face,too. ty. What did you do with the steering wheel in the first pic?

The brown dash (rust brown to be exact) was stripped and repainted.
The nice Momo steering wheel was sold to a good fellow on this site. I opted for the original.
zonedoubt

I repaired mine myself.

How is this repair holding up? I read the repair procedure on the other board. How did you prep the vinyl to accept the truck bed spray?
Valy
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Jun 27 2012, 09:31 AM) *

I repaired mine myself.

How is this repair holding up? I read the repair procedure on the other board. How did you prep the vinyl to accept the truck bed spray?

The repair holds on well with one exception. Some of the cracks I repaired in the garage and some I did outside in the sun. Those done outside hold well and those done inside are cracking back a bit.
I think that you need to have the dash hot and fully expanded before you start fixing the cracks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.