Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Snowplows - just ineterested
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
1970 Neun vierzehn
That louvered rear valence must be a truely rare item. I remember the /6 that Pat was referring to previously, and the slotted rear panel was really cool looking. At the time, the mid '70s, not a lot of concern and attention was paid to originality. That 914/6 with the slotted rear valence was certainly unique and those of us who noticed it knew it for a "custom" piece of fabrication, but I don't think neither Pat nor I had any idea that such a part was (in theory) available as a factory PORSCHE part.
Besides looking great, I'd bet the slots in the deep valence panel would help relieve the hot air build-up beneath the engine and by the muffler.

I would imagine a reproduction, slotted, rear valence panel would have a limited market, given that it probably would be expensive to manufacture.

Paul
sixerdon
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 10 2012, 02:43 PM) *

Click to view attachmentThis should be interesting.

Recieved an e-mail from a long-time bud & former six owner about the rear early snowplow. He still has his parts manual, though the six went to Canada years ago and still exists in racer form.

He bought the six new. It was his only driver. But, he met Chuck Stoddard who had a louvered rear valence on Gronk (Stoddard's name for his six). It seems that there was a louvred rear valance available in the early years.

He sent me a pdf of 8.4 of his parts manual from very early 1970 and it shows such an option!

Pat, is your bud interested in selling his early parts manual? I would be interested to match my /6 cars.
Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 17 2012, 07:46 PM) *

Recieved an e-mail from a long-time bud & former six owner about the rear early snowplow. He still has his parts manual, though the six went to Canada years ago and still exists in racer form.

He bought the six new. It was his only driver. But, he met Chuck Stoddard who had a louvered rear valence on Gronk (Stoddard's name for his six). It seems that there was a louvred rear valance available in the early years.

He sent me a pdf of 8.4 of his parts manual from very early 1970 and it shows such an option!

Pat, is your bud interested in selling his early parts manual? I would be interested to match my /6 cars.
Don

Don.
I'll find out. Any idea what it's worth? He's over 70 & hasn't had a six for 30 plus years ( and never will again, I think).
sixerdon
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 18 2012, 02:28 PM) *

Don

Pat, PM sent.
Don
Don.
I'll find out. Any idea what it's worth? He's over 70 & hasn't had a six for 30 plus years ( and never will again, I think).

sixerdon
(try this again)
Pat, PM sent.
Don
Lennies914
This just showed up on CL. DAPO welded over the hole!

http://monterey.craigslist.org/pts/3141329533.html
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 20 2012, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 18 2012, 02:28 PM) *

Don

Pat, PM sent.
Don
Don.

Sorry Don - he's silent so far.
euro911
The stock muffler was shot on my wife's '71, so I installed a 'temporary' Bursch style muffler and a late model short valance. The plow was pretty banged-up anyway.

I did notice the vapor-lock issue was lessened with the shorter valance, but the plow will eventually be repaired and re-installed after the car goes through it's restoration process.

Even though not correct for '71, I'm thinking about installing those under-body deflector plates to help avoid vapor-lock in the future idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 1 2012, 10:17 AM) *

The stock muffler was shot on my wife's '71, so I installed a 'temporary' Bursch style muffler and a late model short valance. The plow was pretty banged-up anyway.

I did notice the vapor-lock issue was lessened with the shorter valance, but the plow will eventually be repaired and re-installed after the car goes through it's restoration process.

Even though not correct for '71, I'm thinking about installing those under-body deflector plates to help avoid vapor-lock in the future idea.gif

Look, I'm a stalwart fan of the rear snowplow. My original was destroyed by a Bursch exhaust, which is why I was forced to go with the short valence,

I noticed that the vapor-lock problem disappeared when I did that also.

But the purist in me made me search for a proper snowplow, something that took ten years to find a bolt on. It will go on when the car comes off the stands this fall. It will stay one too. It SHOULD be there.
BENBRO02
I think Porsche knew something when they omitted the rear valence from the GT cars. I believe removing it aids in cooling and aerodynamics.
LefthandRev
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ May 4 2022, 09:56 AM) *

I think Porsche knew something when they omitted the rear valence from the GT cars. I believe removing it aids in cooling and aerodynamics.

I actually prefer the appearance without it.
type47fan
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Apr 9 2012, 06:27 PM) *

I have one on my '75. It's not in great shape, but I'd prefer to have a later style. Trades for a nice correct one?

From 2001, here's an early ('72) valance modified for an ANSA exhaust on my '76.

In 2015, I reinstalled the complete, original CA exhaust/emission systems with the correct valance.

Click to view attachment
gandalf_025
This is a factory 6 snowplow..
Well, it WAS, until around 1974 when I had it cut down like the new cars..
I also spray painted the headlight surrounds black at the same time..

Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jun 13 2022, 07:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Why didn't you just use the later valance?
Garland
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 28 2007, 12:12 PM) *

This was a 6 valance, and I had to move the hole slightly outboard and weld in a plate to cover the difference. I trimmed the Triad tips off about 3", installed the valance and outlined the locations for the holes from the backside of the valance. The exhaust is very well made, but it, or the car was slightly off on side to side height. So a slight shim on one trans mount, and a extra washer at the engine bar made it correct. I left about a 1/2 " clearance around the pipe after increasing the size to fit the A8 tips. The holes are not round since the valance is angled. Slightly oval cut.

The reason I cut a 6 valance was it had been cut before to fit a 4!. Hard to think the PO did that.

Click to view attachment

gandalf_025
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 15 2022, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jun 13 2022, 07:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Why didn't you just use the later valance?

It would have required BUYING a new one..
And who knew these would be worth anything back in 1974…
ClayPerrine
When we bought our six from Rusty, it had the short rear valence on it and a 911 muffler. When we brought it home, we took it to Mayo Performance to have Ed Mayo do an insurance appraisal. While we were there, Ed had a visitor from California who told me he had an NOS 914-6 "snowplow" valence. I got his info, and we bought the valence. Only thing was the muffler outlet would not fit the valence. So we removed the tailpipe from the muffler, and modified it to fit the valence. It looks right, but we know it is not original.

Someday we will get a factory 914-6 muffler.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.