Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Snowplows - just ineterested
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Pat Garvey
I know that the "snowplow" rear valence is rare, but am wondering about those who have one.

Is it mounted?

Mine cannot be mounted until the car comes off from jackstands because the jack will destroy it.

Just wondering.
Pat
smontanaro
Pix? I have no idea what you're referring to Pat.

Skip
Pat Garvey
The "snowplow" rear valence was standard on 70-72 models. It is larger than the subsequent model, with the tailpipe exiting through the metal, rather than underneath in 73-on valences. It was referred to as the "snowplow" because, in cases of 6 inches or more of snow, it "plowed" the snow up & under & aroung the muffler/valence area. Resulted in fairly rapid rusting of both parts.

It is a very rare part, and is different for the six and four.

This is what the "snowplow" looks like:
6freak
Click to view attachment

yep its on mine anyway .dont know where my Dads is? prolly the attic
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 7 2010, 11:10 AM) *

Click to view attachment

yep its on mine anyway .dont know where my Dads is? prolly the attic

Nice!

This past summer I saw a snowplow that had been "modified" horribly to fit the twin-pipe sport muffler. he vibrations from the muffler had created stress cracks all over it valence. Sad waste of a very valuable/rare part.
Pat
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 5 2010, 09:26 PM) *

I know that the "snowplow" rear valence is rare, but am wondering about those who have one.

Is it mounted?

Mine cannot be mounted until the car comes off from jackstands because the jack will destroy it.

Just wondering.
Pat

Mine is still mounted, however I always heard it referred to as a snow scoop.

I drove my 914-4 for a year in the snow and was always going to the car wash to remove the ice packed snow from the ends of the rear valance.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Dec 14 2010, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 5 2010, 09:26 PM) *

Is it mounted?

Just wondering.
Pat

Mine is still mounted, however I always heard it referred to as a snow scoop.

I drove my 914-4 for a year in the snow and was always going to the car wash to remove the ice packed snow from the ends of the rear valance.

Yeah, did that too, but I did it in my driveway. Once I "fitted" the Bursch exhaust to it, it died from vibration in a year. Thankfull to have found a perfect one.

This one will die with me/the 914.
Pat
realred914
didn't they change the design to help reduce heat under the car? that is what i Heard anyway, that si why the later vlaances are shorter, to allow better under car air flow. anyone know for sure ?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 16 2010, 12:55 AM) *

didn't they change the design to help reduce heat under the car? that is what i Heard anyway, that si why the later vlaances are shorter, to allow better under car air flow. anyone know for sure ?

Yes. Though more likely to keep the heat down in the rear trunk....
Pat Garvey
Engine heat was defintely higher with the snowplow. When I switched ('76) to th shorter version the change was noticeable. Vapor lock went away.

Have a friend who had a six & had the snowplow louvred. Helped with heat dissipation, looked really cool, but (because it was a winter driver), accelerated the rust process of the valence.

My 914 will get driven infrequently, so the "plow" will go on - cost too much not to enjoy.
74914LE
Does anyone know, if the rear valence was used for the entire 72 model year, or if it changed to the later version mid production, like the front brakes? I have a late production 72, with the late style front brakes, and since everything else is stock, I want to make sure that I get this correct.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(74914LE @ Dec 25 2010, 12:22 PM) *

Does anyone know, if the rear valence was used for the entire 72 model year, or if it changed to the later version mid production, like the front brakes? I have a late production 72, with the late style front brakes, and since everything else is stock, I want to make sure that I get this correct.

They did not change to the later version until the 73 models, so far as I know.

Mine is a late 72, vin 4722918725, and came with the snowplow. Is your vin later or earlier?
Pat
74914LE
Yes, mine is 4722921445 So it was 2,720 cars past yours. It would be interesting to find out if there is a later 72, and what it had. I have seen a couple of early 73 cars that have the doors without the side impact beams, so I know that there were situations where things changed in the middle of the production year.
Michael N
I remounted mine on the car several years ago because I wanted the original look. I also like that the front and rear valances match the height of the rocker covers and give the car a balanced look. I understand why so many removed these off the car as after longer drives not only does the trunk area get warmer than with a short valance, but the rear quarter panels also get very warm.

Click to view attachment

rwjames
Pat,

I have the original rear valance on my Tangerine 1970 914-6.

The original owner of my first 914-6 hacked about 6 louvers in the center of the rear valance as he thought that would help reduce heat around the exhaust system. What a crime he committed in destroying that valance. You may have seen that yellow 914-6 back in the 1970's and 1980's as the owner lived in Louisville, KY.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Here's an O.E.M. valence on a '70/4.
McMark
Here's one I did. I don't feel bad about mod-ing it, since I started with a total POS. I consider this saved, compared to what it was!
Pat Garvey
Anyone see the six version on eBay for $1250? And it needs work!

I'd sell my perfectly restored for valence for less than that, though not much.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rwjames @ Jan 6 2011, 11:11 PM) *

Pat,

I have the original rear valance on my Tangerine 1970 914-6.

The original owner of my first 914-6 hacked about 6 louvers in the center of the rear valance as he thought that would help reduce heat around the exhaust system. What a crime he committed in destroying that valance. You may have seen that yellow 914-6 back in the 1970's and 1980's as the owner lived in Louisville, KY.

You are probably right. I won't fault you for not giving the owners name in public, but a PM would be appreciated.
Pat
nathansnathan
I think I read that only the nla stock muffler will fit through the hole. The bursch exhaust, you are supposed to have to go to the notched rear valance I think.

I was excited to have found a stock 1.7 muffler so I can use the 'snow plow' that my car came with. - I had no idea the early valance was so rare

I think the muffler-out-the-hole looks really cool. smile.gif
smontanaro
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 9 2011, 01:06 PM) *
I had no idea the early valance was so rare

I have a nice /6, but I think it would be worth more as parts given the rarity of many of them (gas burners, early valance and rear bumper, foot rest, tool kit, etc etc). sad.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 9 2011, 02:06 PM) *

I think I read that only the nla stock muffler will fit through the hole. The bursch exhaust, you are supposed to have to go to the notched rear valance I think.

I was excited to have found a stock 1.7 muffler so I can use the 'snow plow' that my car came with. - I had no idea the early valance was so rare

I think the muffler-out-the-hole looks really cool. smile.gif

You are correct! A Bursch will destroy the snowplow - yes, you can make it fit, but not without destroying the intergrity of the "plow" (ask me how I know!).

The early rear valence is not unobtainium for a four, but you'll have to put a lot of work into one that you'll pay dearly for to make it right. If you have a six, there are fewer options. The one I saw recently on AA was about $1200, and it needed work! From the pics, I'd expect a body shop to cost another 5-600 to make it right!

In both cases - ONLY the stock muffler will fit the openings.
Pat
degreeoff
I love the way mine looks. Just sayin.....and it isn't original.....but you knew that.
Click to view attachment
haasman
Good thread. I have a '70 914-6 with 57k original miles.

I need to repaint the original rear valance. What color black is it. I know it isn't gloss, flat etc.

Can anybody direct me to a source of the correct paint/color?

Thanks ind advance,

Haasman
Lennies914
I have one on my '75. It's not in great shape, but I'd prefer to have a later style. Trades for a nice correct one?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Feb 15 2011, 06:41 PM) *

I love the way mine looks. Just sayin.....and it isn't original.....but you knew that.
Click to view attachment

any close ups of how you flared the rear valence?
unpolire
Darn, just picked up an OEM that I thought was for my 1972, but now I see it is for a 1973+ car!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(haasman @ Apr 9 2012, 07:16 PM) *

Good thread. I have a '70 914-6 with 57k original miles.

I need to repaint the original rear valance. What color black is it. I know it isn't gloss, flat etc.

Can anybody direct me to a source of the correct paint/color?

Thanks ind advance,

Haasman

I've posted this response several times, but here goes......

The "original" finish (both sides) was primer, Bodyshutz (3M), followed by satin black (Glasurit, or any satin black).
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Apr 9 2012, 07:27 PM) *

I have one on my '75. It's not in great shape, but I'd prefer to have a later style. Trades for a nice correct one?

Lennie,

Sorry to inform you....you don't have one!

The "snowplow" rear valence was available ONLY on 914's through 1972 MY. You can't have a "later style", because it doesn't exist! You have (without pictures) the same rear valence that all 914's had from MY 1973!
Lennies914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 11 2012, 03:49 PM) *

Lennie,

The "snowplow" rear valence was available ONLY on 914's through 1972 MY. You can't have a "later style", because it doesn't exist! You have (without pictures) the same rear valence that all 914's had from MY 1973!

Pat,

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have an early "snow plow" (I think) rear valance on my '75 but would prefer a post '72 rear valance.
Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Apr 11 2012, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 11 2012, 03:49 PM) *

Lennie,

Pat,

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have an early "snow plow" (I think) rear valance on my '75 but would prefer a post '72 rear valance.
Click to view attachment

Lennie,
Understand now.

If what you have on your goegeous 914 is an early snowplow, you have a goldmine! But it looks somewhat out of spec. Others chime in here please. Maybe it's the pic, but it looks to be too short from top to bottom.

Regardless, there are proper valences available for your '75. PM me about one that is coming off my '72 this spring. Others are available too, but may need refinishing.
Interesting!
Lennies914
Pat,

In talking with another long time member I am being told that there is a "larger" or "deeper" one that came on the sixes. The one on my car was on the early 1.7's.
confused24.gif
mepstein
I have one on mine but it's slightly molested to fit an aftermarket exhaust
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Apr 12 2012, 07:33 PM) *

Pat,

In talking with another long time member I am being told that there is a "larger" or "deeper" one that came on the sixes. The one on my car was on the early 1.7's.
confused24.gif

Lennie,

They were both the same size. The only difference was the placement of the exhaust hole. Both measure, from top edge to bottom edge (using a tape measure) approc 6 3/4 inches. The six version will not work for a four & vice versa.
markb
I have one of the snowplows that I had restored & painted to match the other valences on the car, since I've made the outside of the car look like a 70. I'm up in the air as to have the Bursch muffler pipe cut off & replaced with a pipe that will fit thru the hole, or sell the snowplow & go with the shorter version. What say you? What should I ask for the snowplow should I decide to sell it?
haasman
QUOTE(markb @ Jun 9 2012, 04:10 PM) *

I have one of the snowplows that I had restored & painted to match the other valences on the car, since I've made the outside of the car look like a 70. I'm up in the air as to have the Bursch muffler pipe cut off & replaced with a pipe that will fit thru the hole, or sell the snowplow & go with the shorter version. What say you? What should I ask for the snowplow should I decide to sell it?

Curious , what did you choose for paint?

Haasman
markb
I left it up to the painter (longtime 914 guy) but it came out a lot glossier than intended, so it's not even close to stock.
Mark Henry
They did FG repops of these right?
MDG gave me one (FG) so I'm not going to feel bad about modding it with grills, etc. wink.gif
MDG
Yes - repros are out there. Mod away. You'll find it will need a LOT of fitting anyway.
Cairo94507
I happen to have an early deep valance for a 4 cylinder car that is ready to install in the classified section. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188591

$650 will take it.
nathansnathan
I bought mine for $1250 and they threw the car in for free. blink.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jun 21 2012, 06:55 AM) *

Sounds like you made a good deal....if the "plow" restorable!
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 22 2012, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jun 21 2012, 06:55 AM) *

Sounds like you made a good deal....if the "plow" restorable!

Yeah, I guess they go for about that, it's listed at $600 in the nla section of jeff bowlesby's site
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/NLAParts.htm

Here's my little gem with it from-the-side, this from the pics I saw when I bought the car, santa monica 2010. smoke.gif
IPB Image
zymurgist
QUOTE(markb @ Jun 9 2012, 08:10 PM) *

Considering what the snowplow is worth compared to the Bursch muffler, I'd mod the tailpipe.
Pat Garvey
Click to view attachmentThis should be interesting.

Recieved an e-mail from a long-time bud & former six owner about the rear early snowplow. He still has his parts manual, though the six went to Canada years ago and still exists in racer form.

He bought the six new. It was his only driver. But, he met Chuck Stoddard who had a louvered rear valence on Gronk (Stoddard's name for his six). It seems that there was a louvred rear valance available in the early years.

He sent me a pdf of 8.4 of his parts manual from very early 1970 and it shows such an option!
mepstein
Pat - Cool info. Nice find. mark
Cairo94507
I would be interested in seeing that picture Pat. I have seen some early snow plows that were louvered but always assumed it was the result of customization. I had the engine lid on my irish green six louvered probably 25 years ago at least and it looked really cool and kind of factory.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 12 2012, 12:00 PM) *

I would be interested in seeing that picture Pat. I have seen some early snow plows that were louvered but always assumed it was the result of customization. I had the engine lid on my irish green six louvered probably 25 years ago at least and it looked really cool and kind of factory.

I take it that the pdf is not loading for some reason. It's a simple file - any suggestions?
Pat
markb
I put my snowplow up for sale today in the classifieds, if anyone is interested.
mepstein
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 12 2012, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 12 2012, 12:00 PM) *

I take it that the pdf is not loading for some reason. It's a simple file - any suggestions?
Pat

Works for me. Just takes a while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.