Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sunvisor recovering group buy will need your cores
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Mikey914
There seems to be enough interest to put this together. I have an upholsty guy that that can redo the visors, but need cores to refurbish. Originally I was planning to make the internal structure, but it would save some time and effort (as well as cash) to just use the old substructure.

You would be looking at a high quality vinyl that would be stitched on the edges. I know the OEM was thermally bonded, but the cost to set up and do that would double the cost at less that 100 sets. So, they're not exactly like OEM, but they will have the mirror sewn in like the OEM.

I'm working on the sample with the mirror, and will have it in a few weeks.

I will also make new visor clips available if you wish for $50 a set of all 3. These are the ones with the stainless pins. This will be only to those that are in on the visor refurb deal.

Just chime in on the thread here to get yourself on the list. As soon as it looks like we've got the 20 sets, I'll send the details.

Thanks, I need to do a set myself, so this will help me too.

Here's is a picture of a protype.
geniusanthony
These look great, I have a question that doesn't matter to me so much but here goes. On the OEM there was a sewn and velcro-ed flap I believe over the mirror, Was it your intent to replicate that also? Can there be a package that includes all new mounts, clips and hardware?
geniusanthony
I can't send cores till after the holidays. Hopefully I can still get in on this?
GaroldShaffer
I'm in for a pair. Just need to know where to send the cores & $$$.

If I may, I would like throw something in here. I was wondering just how hard it would be to make ones that swivel like todays cars? I'm vertical challenged so there are times when driving the sun gets my eyes thru the side window. I know its not stock, but then again my 914 is a mix of stock & non.

willamp
I would like a set and can send my cores whenever you are ready. The mirror isn't very important to me and if there's any issue recreating a flap that will stay closed over the years I could do without the mirror.

thx
maf914
Mark,

This is good news. I am in for a pair and can send my cores. And if you offer the mounting clips and pins as part of the package, then I am in for those as well. I know you currently have the clips and pins on your site.

Were all visors the same for the various years production? I have a 76 and would not want to get my cores mixed up with an early model's cores if they are different.
dem
I'm tall enough I just use the windshield header for my visor, but that reminds me of another product idea that should be cheap and easy: visor hole blanking plates.

Basically a moulded bit of a plastic that covers up where the visors mounted. I had these on my old Miata. Keeps the vinyls from getting tatty and looks better.
ConeDodger
Well there's something I don't need but desperately want! I'm in! biggrin.gif

Are you going to put the insurance/registration pouch on the drivers side?
codices
I'm in for a set with clips. Tell us where to send the cores. They should fit in one of the USPS flat rate boxes and then you could use that box for the return????

Dave
bandjoey
Is a core the metal inside frame?
PRS914-6
I think if you are going to do a group buy you might check with Vinyl Specialties. They have done 3 sets for me at $55.00 and they were perfect. I'm sure if you sent them a shit load they would reduce the price. Their Web Site
Tom_T
Mark - any chance of a later group buy or order as needed - with the thermal-bonded seams recovering per OEM, & with mirror/flap at R & map packet @ L for us anal-wanks? confused24.gif

That vinyl looks pretty close to original for the pix BTW - good job! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Dec 8 2010, 10:23 AM) *

I think if you are going to do a group buy you might check with Vinyl Specialties. They have done 3 sets for me at $55.00 and they were perfect. I'm sure if you sent them a shit load they would reduce the price. Their Web Site

Looks like they also stitch - not thermal-weld, & according to the 911 visor example for $65, can't reinstall your vanity mirror.

.... and you know how vain those 911 types are! biggrin.gif

So IMHO, Mikey914's group buy with the mirror included is probably worth the extra $20-30 (depending upon whether the 914 ones at the above link is still $55, or up to the $65 of the 911 flavor).
monkeyboy
I'm in, just let me know when and where to send the cores.
bandjoey
I looked into vinyl thermal bonding last year. The set up on the machine was over $500 before 1 was produced, and they didn't really want to tie up the machine unless we considered running less than 100 units. (a local DFW shop)

I'm not an expert on this process but as explained, this is some kind of stamping process...build the mold...inset the material...stamp it out - as I was told.

Any thermal bonding experts out here?

bandjoey
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Dec 8 2010, 12:23 PM) *

This place also sells the pivoting mounts to turn the visor to the side.
Mikey914
I had looked into the thermal bonding also, Basically, dies are created to do the bonding, that's the expense. The $500 was better that the final price I was lookibng at. There were several ops, and the $500 probably only coverd the edges.

Also the numbers we are looking at from Vinly specialties do not include the mirror, and the mirror they have screws onto the substructure. This will not work for our visors. The have to be sewn in (or thermally bonded, secondary operation more$$$). This normally cracks the mirror. I will be doing a test part in the next 2 weeks to assure I have this under control, but I'm 99% sure it will not be a problem the way I plan to do it.
As far as the deletes and the pivots go, there's probably not enough demand to fabricate these, but I suspect there are other ones that could be modified for both applications.
The only issue I could see on the pivots is the mounting. There needs to be enough substructure to support the loads of pivoting (and if you want them to sty in place you'll have to crank them down a bit), and vibration that the original would have never encountered.
Maybe not an issue but worth looking into before going that route.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 8 2010, 10:26 AM) *

Mark - any chance of a later group buy or order as needed - with the thermal-bonded seams recovering per OEM, & with mirror/flap at R & map packet @ L for us anal-wanks? confused24.gif

That vinyl looks pretty close to original for the pix BTW - good job! beerchug.gif

Allways a possibility, just a matter of demand and at what cost?
markb
We have a box of cores here if you need some.
Mikey914
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Dec 8 2010, 12:30 AM) *

I can't send cores till after the holidays. Hopefully I can still get in on this?

Yes, that's probably about the time frame this will come together.
as soon as we get 20 confirmed, I'll send out the info.
Mikey914
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 8 2010, 11:50 AM) *

We have a box of cores here if you need some.

That could work out well. I would propose that I could sell your cores for you for those that don't want to remove. Or better you anyone that needs cores contact you directly to ship for them.

I'll buy 2 sets off you for myself. If anyone else wants they could all ship together, and they could just pay you for what they want. The fewer times money changes hands the easier it is.

-Mark
tommy914
Will there be a flap over the mirror?
partsman
I'm in... just let me know where and when

Eric
moparrob
Sounds good. Count me in too.
MDG
Mark, I'd be in to get two sets done. If anyone is stuck I think I have one more set for cores.

m.
Greenguy
I'm in for the clips and visors.....let me know when and where.
Coy
I'm in for the visors, if you're still building your list, but I don't think I need the clips.
914four
I'm in for the visors as well as the clips.
Mikey914
The cores are the metal parts on the inside of the visors. The "guts". These will be used to create the new ones. They are actually a complex part to duplicate.

girellr
count me in for both visors and clips. let me know where and when I send visors and money. rgirello@cableone.net
veltror
sending cores from the uk is a bit expensive ...sigh
MDG
QUOTE(veltror @ Dec 9 2010, 07:15 PM) *

Like I said I'm almost positive I have at least an extra set. I'll check this weekend. If I have them they are all yours. I can send them down with my other two sets with your name on them.

That way all you'd need to pay is the recovering and the shipment back to the UK.

Let me know if you want them and I'll dig around this weekend.

cheers, m.
porsche914gt
Im in for a visor set.
mharmon
I'm in for a set.
t collins
I'm in for a set
Thanks,
Gary
I'm in: rebuild + mounting clips. Throw a dash-windshield seal on the invoice too. Thnx!
75914-L20C
I'm in for a set of visors and a set of clips.

Thanks,
Pete
bdstone914
QUOTE(veltror @ Dec 9 2010, 04:15 PM) *

I have more visors than any normal person should have. I could donate a pair for you.

Cheers!
Bruce
Mikey914
Probably cheaper to obtain cores here from Bruce or Mark, and I'm sure I can tap a few shoulders here to find some.

proto31
count me in for a set.

Dan
Phoenix-MN
Put me on the list for 1 set

Paul Bork
Ronald4780
Count me in but I don't have the cores. Do you you have any left MARKB?
Bernard
Hi Mikey..........I will take a set. Just tell where to send the cores and when. Bernard
Mikey914
QUOTE(Ronald4780 @ Dec 10 2010, 06:35 AM) *

Count me in but I don't have the cores. Do you you have any left MARKB?

Pretty sure he does, PM him.

This will actually be going down first of the year as with the holidays nothing really gets done. I will however have a sample in the next 7-10 days (with the mirror).

-Mark
bandjoey
In for the end of the run. Kids will be getting my car money this month.
hwgunner
Mark and I found the 2 boxes of sun visors that we knew we had. We will be going through and counting them (there are surly some 911 ones in there) and taking pictures and posting in the next day or 2. beerchug.gif

jonathan
hwgunner
Kansas 914
I will take one set for sure - no clips.

Thanks Mark - let me know when you want cores.
RickS
I'm in for a visor set.
Series9
I'm in for at least one set. Maybe three. Let me check my cores.
Mikey914
Ok, did some prototypes, and adding some options.

Added the drivers pocket, also added the flap for the mirror.

It did change the cost a bit. so here's the breakdown-

The full deal-
Mirror, drivers flap and mirror cover -$99

The base deal -
Mirror with visors (no pocket no flap) $85

I do need to receive the cores, stripped. I will show how to do this in a later thread.

The cost went up on these slightly as I am farming out the labor on these as this is a lot of work. The production for the full deal will occur in January, the production on the base deal will follow. I will be sending out PMs with the info in a few days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.