Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help /new momo adapter does fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Changing steering wheel and new mom adapter will not slide on far enough...Slides over serrated shaft but stops 1 to 2 inches short. Can't tell what is up...Experience here ??? For a1974 ....bought new part
Thanks . Wheel hit as shaft gets larger after serrations . Lost but been that kind of weekend !
Terry
GeorgeRud
If I remember correctly, there were two different Momo adapters that fit different years. One was for the early cars, then they changed (~1973???) to another one. You may have the wrong one.

The other possibility is that there is a trim piece that needs to come off the old wheel to fill the space. Does the nut fit on the adapter or are the threads not reachable through the adapter?
Beach914
In my hand I've got two Momo hubs that I know both fit my previous 74. The splines on both start approximately .675" from the end of the hub.
What's weird is the overall length of one is 2.910" and the other is 3.00"
But both have fit on my car.

Are you able to measure yours? If so give me some other measurements and we can compare.

Dave
Lightweight_911
As GeorgeRud said, there are 2 different 914 Momo hubs:

Porsche 914/4 70-71 Code: mm8000
Porsche 914/4 72-76 Code: mm8002

- splines are the same but you need the correct one for your model.
sixaddict
I think Andy may have hit on it...The one I got slides onto the splines but will not go far enough ...so a huge (2 inch) space exists behind the adaptor...I am hoping they sent me wrong model number.
I told them for a 74 but ya'll know how that works...too many hands involved and all it takes is one.
I don't see that code anywhere on package but shall keep looking.
Thanks all
Terry
charliew
There are threads that cover this throughly. The early adapters are hard to come by for some wheels. I once modified a nice early 914 adapter for my sons super beetle and later realized I had a nice hard to come by adapter.
markb
If you have found the early adapter, you'll be able to turn that one for $$ to many (including me). They are hard to come by. I have to use a rubber sleeve over mine (which is the correct one for my car) when I have the Momo in, to cover the gap.
sixaddict
Mystery solved ...they shipped early car adaptor...In fact box said (among others ) 914-6. They said trade out .....if you need to know who has it pm me ....I will give you contact info.
Thanks
Valy
Can someone confirm this is the adapter that should fit early (70-71) model?
I got it in my 74 but it blocks the high beam lever. I think it should find a better home.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
underthetire
I ended up making my own adapter. I cut the original steering wheel hub off my trashed stock wheel, it was just riveted on, then made an aluminum spacer that has the bolt pattern drilled and tapped on it for the stock hub, then drilled and tapped for the 6 screw wheel mount. (actually did 12 so I could make fine adjustments for centering) I made it slightly longer to get the wheel closer to me, just a comfort thing. All the turn signal cancel stuff stayed with the original hub, and would work if my turn signal lever cancel piece wasn't broken from a PO.

And please no wise cracks about my blingy wheel. It was a surprise birthday gift from my girlfriend, and feels very nice.
Lou W
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 11 2011, 02:46 PM) *

I ended up making my own adapter. I cut the original steering wheel hub off my trashed stock wheel, it was just riveted on, then made an aluminum spacer that has the bolt pattern drilled and tapped on it for the stock hub, then drilled and tapped for the 6 screw wheel mount. (actually did 12 so I could make fine adjustments for centering) I made it slightly longer to get the wheel closer to me, just a comfort thing. All the turn signal cancel stuff stayed with the original hub, and would work if my turn signal lever cancel piece wasn't broken from a PO.

And please no wise cracks about my blingy wheel. It was a surprise birthday gift from my girlfriend, and feels very nice.

Looks good shades.gif
Valy
QUOTE(Valy @ Jan 11 2011, 12:03 PM) *

Can someone confirm this is the adapter that should fit early (70-71) model?
I got it in my 74 but it blocks the high beam lever. I think it should find a better home.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.