Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bleeding brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
Brake bleeding issues.

I'm using the long tube method to bleed the brakes. I worked from rr, lr, rf, lf. I didn't have any problems bleeding the rr but when I hooked the hose up to the bleeder and pumped the brake pedal there was a lot of air bubbles in the line. I checked that the tube was attached completely and tried again. I was still getting air bubbles in the line. If I closed the bleeder and pumped the brake pedal it would firm up after a couple of pumps. I tried this 4-5 times but I always got air bubbles in the line. Is it possible that the bleeder screw is allowing air into the tube? If so, can I use teflon tape to better seal the threads? Any other suggestions?

All of the calipers have been rebuilt by Eric. I've set the venting clearance on the rear calipers and the pads are new.

-- Rob
sean_v8_914
no tape. the threads do not act to seal the bleeder. the bleeder has a cone seat. lock it down but dont be tempted to over-tighten. clean the area, pump till hard, then check for leaks. if air is coming in then fluid WILL come out.
it takes at least ONE COMPLETE LITTER of brake fluid to do a proper bleed out.
jack the rear up to do the rear, it helps. new calipers have many cavities to fill and some times it takes a little extra to evacuate all this air
sean_v8_914
did you use a compolete liter of fluid? not just one of those little pep boys bottles
raw1298
I used 2 of the small bottles and almost got all air out. It takes a second pump to really firm up peddle, so I am going for another round to get it right. That would be about a liter of the fluid.
watsonrx13
Thanks for the replies, I'll continue to bleed the lf until I get ALL of the air out.

-- Rob
jsaum
I had trouble getting my brakes to bleed properly until I realized I had the front calipers switched. The bleeder valve should be on top to allow the air to vent out when bleeding. I would also use a friend to help bleed the brakes, if you're holding the petal down until the bleeder valve is closed you shouldn't get air back in the system. If the valve is leaking due to a worn seat you should see fluid dripping with the system pumped up. Good luck I spent weeks on my brakes before I figured out the problem.

Jsaum
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.