Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installed 911 Aluminum Auxiliary Support (Front Cross Member)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mwyatt
Hi guys. I installed an Aluminum Auxiliary Support in my 914 this weekend. It bolts right up, but it comes down lower than the steel piece and now the stock 914 underfloor protective plate doesn't fit. There are also no holes in the support for the plate to screw into in the front, but the two bolts in the rear are fine (see attached pic from the front).

I know I can't be the only one that has done this. What have others done to make the protective plate work?

By the way, for those that have been thinking about doing this, I probably wouldn't recommend it. I'd guess it's only 3 or 4 pounds lighter than the steel piece, and some have suggested that it can flex. But I'm committed at this point to trying to make it work.

- MikeClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
r_towle
drill two small screw holes in the flange of the support bar and fasten it that way.

Its made for a 911, so the stock 914 holes would never have been cast.

Rich
mwyatt
Thanks Rich, makes sense. And I suppose I could also make a gasket and attach it to the two original front holes in the protective plate to keep the seal it off.
Cap'n Krusty
Have you looked into fitting the 911 plate?

The Cap'n
mwyatt
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 14 2010, 02:02 PM) *

The Cap'n

I have not. Does anyone know if it will fit?
pete000
4 lbs is 4 lbs !

I have to diet for a month and go to the gym twice a day to loose 4 lbs !

Was the job easy, I want to do this on my 914 soon.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(mwyatt @ Dec 14 2010, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 14 2010, 02:02 PM) *

The Cap'n

I have not. Does anyone know if it will fit?

It fits the car from which the parts were sourced. I'm guessing it'll fir your car, too.

The Cap'n
mwyatt
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 14 2010, 03:09 PM) *

4 lbs is 4 lbs !

I have to diet for a month and go to the gym twice a day to loose 4 lbs !

Was the job easy, I want to do this on my 914 soon.

Pete, the job is fairly easy. Make sure you measure your front ride height on each side of the car before you take everything apart, because you'll have to reset it.

Cap'n, I'll see if I can pick up a Carrera protective plate and let everyone know if it works.
mwyatt
I picked up a protective plate from a '77 911 and it fit really well. I got it from Parts Heaven. Didn't come with gaskets, so I made some and it works fine. For those that want to do this, for the entire project you need three items-
Aluminum Crossmember
Tabs (2 of them, they bolt to the cross member and on 911s mount the underbody swaybar)
911 Protective Plate
jt914-6
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
URY914
This really isn't worth the effort. Removing 4 pounds at the lowest part of you car actually raises your center of gravity of the car. I have the lightest car ever and I won't be doing this to my car.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(mwyatt @ Jan 10 2011, 09:43 PM) *

I picked up a protective plate from a '77 911 and it fit really well. I got it from Parts Heaven. Didn't come with gaskets, so I made some and it works fine. For those that want to do this, for the entire project you need three items-
Aluminum Crossmember
Tabs (2 of them, they bolt to the cross member and on 911s mount the underbody swaybar)
911 Protective Plate

It didn't come with gaskets because it doesn't use gaskets.

The Cap'n
Britain Smith
You know that the aluminum crossbar flexes...ask SirAndy.

-Britain
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 11 2011, 05:50 AM) *

This really isn't worth the effort. Removing 4 pounds at the lowest part of you car actually raises your center of gravity of the car. I have the lightest car ever and I won't be doing this to my car.

So are you going to add a 4lbs weight to your steel crossbar and make your center of gravity even better? happy11.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 11 2011, 11:35 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 11 2011, 05:50 AM) *

So are you going to add a 4lbs weight to your steel crossbar and make your center of gravity even better? happy11.gif

Zing! Good one! smile.gif

Clearly you want to lower both weight and CG, but if you had to pick one over the other, I would say the priority is to first lower weight and then second lower CG. And when done, if you end up removing more weight below the CG than above (which would move the new CG up), so be it. When you have to deal with a minimum weight requirement, and you are able to build the car to below minimum, then you can work to get the CG as low as possible by putting ballast as low as possible.

Now the real world benefits of the aluminum cross bar is another story. But, I have one and plan to put it on my car.

Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.