Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "74" heater blower motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
i have these tubes that come up thru the tin. they look like tubes for the heater. but there in no heater/blower motor in the engine compartment. im thinking the po took it out. i already dropped my bottle of locktite down on of the tubes headbang.gif it was a PIA to get it out. so did the 74s have a blower motor back there?Click to view attachment
tango-52
Mine does. I believe it mounts on that blue protrusion you see on the left side of your picture.
jim912928
Yep...it attaches to the curved bracket you see on the left attached to the engine shelf.
stugray
The blower motor was bolted onto the fan shroud with an angle bracket.
You are clearly missing it.

5 Hot Air Blower 70-72 Part # 473 261 193

Stu
Lennies914
Click to view attachment

Blower motor mount circled
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 18 2010, 09:24 AM) *

The blower motor was bolted onto the fan shroud with an angle bracket.
You are clearly missing it.

5 Hot Air Blower 70-72 Part # 473 261 193

Stu

Misinformation. Its correct for the 1970-72 cars, but the later cars 73-forward were mounted on the radiused bracket to the left of the engine.

thumb3d.gif
mrbubblehead
great thanks guys. now i just need to find one. ARGHHH. i assume the power comes off of the relay to power it up. correct?

does anyone have a working 12volt heater blower motor their not using that they want to sell?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 18 2010, 11:24 AM) *

great thanks guys. now i just need to find one. ARGHHH. i assume the power comes off of the relay to power it up. correct?

does anyone have a working 12volt heater blower motor their not using that they want to sell?

74 had the motor mounted in the cradle on the left engine shelf clamped and resting in a rubber pad with only one hose attached to the left drivers j pipe coming up through the engine sheet metal cylinder shroud. The right passenger side was capped off. By the middle of 75 Porsche added an additional hose over to the right side and a branch piece to the motor to supplement the blow. In the 80s they discontinued this branch so we had them made and sell them as our heater blower update kit.
Actually even without the blower motor, the impeller fan will blow heat forward, just not as violently. The six cylinders had a larger fan and provided very very good heat flow without the need for any kind of additional electrical blower.
Heater blower motors for all 914s even the 73-76 style have been discontinued by the factory but there are many available on e bay cheaply or if you need one instantly we have plenty of good used ones in stock removed from very low mile 914s years ago (they never went bad back then!!!)
Drums66
.....Mr. bubblehead..I see you're in La Mesa?? I have a storage facility over in
chula vista idea.gif with what you need there..PM me your # so we can discuss
bye1.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Dec 18 2010, 10:44 AM) *

.....Mr. bubblehead..I see you're in La Mesa?? I have a storage facility over in
chula vista idea.gif with what you need there..PM me your # so we can discuss
bye1.gif

CALImesa. pm on the way.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 18 2010, 10:24 AM) *

That would be correct, the connector comes out of the main harness but is powered by the relay board.

Except, it looks like your wiring harness is all hacked up back there where it runs along the firewall.
I'd be very surprised if you can find the stock wiring for the heater blower ... sad.gif
silver74insocal
howdy neighbor and welcome.png
goto the classified forums and start yourself a WTB thread named "74 heater blower motor"

several will pop up rather quickly.
also you and i are fortunate to live very close to some of the best parts guys for these little cars 2 of which live in Riverside, so you really shouldnt need to pay for shipping if you can come down the 10 and pick one up

finally, feel free to pm me if you need any help with any of this stuff .

welcome to the madness, Dave beerchug.gif
championgt1
Here is where it goes.

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Didn't someone sell an adapter that split the air hose coming from the blower motor into two separate hoses to run to the passenger side exchanger as well? I seem to remember bying one years ago when my 73 had the original four cylinder engine installed.
stugray
"Misinformation."

Yeah, sorry.

I have only owned two 71s so I have never seen the blower anywhere else.

I have one that I dont need.

Stu
timofly
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 18 2010, 12:10 PM) *

i have these tubes that come up thru the tin. they look like tubes for the heater. but there in no heater/blower motor in the engine compartment. im thinking the po took it out. i already dropped my bottle of locktite down on of the tubes headbang.gif it was a PIA to get it out. so did the 74s have a blower motor back there?Click to view attachment

Bubbles, there are two different blowers.

The 74 had one with two outlets that mounted on the shroud as someone else said. The earlier motor has just one outlet, but there is an adapter to split the output from the single-output version. You might want to do that because the bracket to attach the two-outlet motor is NLA, according to AA. The two outlet kind might be hard to find, but the single ones are common.

I have the single blower on my 74, attached it to the mount with a piece of rubber and a big hose clamp. I made up a splitter from a PVC "Y" and some flexible exhaust ducting, plus some hi-temp duct tape (only because it's in the engine compartment: the blower only blows cold air into the tubes.) It works fine. I am on backorder for the long right tube and will replace the exhaust duct when it arrives. Of course, as soon as I got it done, we had our first dusting of snow and the geniuses in town decided to throw salt around on the roads, so 914 is confined to the barn and the driveway until we get a nice heavy rain...

Do I need to warn you to be sure your heat exchangers are solid? If there are any leaks theymay allow CO into the cabin. You get a nice, but very long, nap.

Why do YOU need heat? I thought S CA was always warm.
jaxdream
Not to hijack , but what type of ignition are you running ??? It appears that you're also running a single carb setup also.

Jack / Jaxdream
mrbubblehead
sirandy, good eye on the harness. i have found the stock heater wire so im golden.

silver74, thanks for the info thats good to know. im in riverside often. drum66 i suppose to hook me up with the whole set up. if not, i will surely call on you. beerchug.gif

championgt1 thank you for posting. that is exactly the picture i need.

timofly i need heat because im a big sissy.

jaxdream the ignition is from my old class 5 car. it is a compufire dis-ix

Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
I think you are going to find that you will have plenty of heat (especially in Cali) without the blower motor. I drove from Memphis to Kansas in February and never turned the blower on and I almost roasted. Short sleeves all the way, even at night.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 19 2010, 02:54 PM) *

I think you are going to find that you will have plenty of heat (especially in Cali) without the blower motor. I drove from Memphis to Kansas in February and never turned the blower on and I almost roasted. Short sleeves all the way, even at night.

really? i havnt really driven this car yet so i dont know what to expect. i just got the whole setup and it was fairly inexpensive. so i will have it just in case. who knows i might want to drive up to alaska or something.
Drums66
...I met mrbubblehead the other day.....what a cool cat! biggrin.gif
has a very nice Karmann G(66) at least you got heat now LOL laugh.gif
bye1.gif( my alter ego!)go go Philly(NFL)
flipb
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 19 2010, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 19 2010, 02:54 PM) *

really? i havnt really driven this car yet so i dont know what to expect. i just got the whole setup and it was fairly inexpensive. so i will have it just in case. who knows i might want to drive up to alaska or something.

When the engine is turning moderate RPM, the heat is forced mostly by the engine impeller. The electric blower only really helps keep air moving when you're at idle.

I drive in fairly cold temps (30's/40's) and usually don't need to engage the electric blower - the heat lever opens the heater passages when pulled partway up and only engages the blower when pulled all the way back.
Drums66
.......And and the heater(hoses) help direct air flow into the cabin!(thru vents) idea.gif
and the flipin fan increases or decreases the rate bye1.gif (physics) stirthepot.gif
mrbubblehead
i got my blower motor the other day. thank you drums66. i hope we will meet again. drunk.gif

ok now i have a dumb question. where is the dang heater switch? i see it on the wiring schematic. but for the life of me i cant find it.

the slider switch on the dash (the one that has 3 fan speeds) is for fresh air correct?

and the lever on the center console opens and closes the heat exchangers.

but where is the stinkin switch???? confused24.gif confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 23 2010, 07:39 PM) *
and the lever on the center console opens and closes the heat exchangers.

but where is the stinkin switch???? confused24.gif confused24.gif

The red lever in front of the center console also turns on the heater blower when pulled all the way up. Dual function ...

You might want to inspect the bottom of the lever first (just two bolts to take it out) to make sure it's in good working order and the wire is connected.

shades.gif
dlee6204
The lever in the center console is also the switch. If you pull it all the way back it should turn on the blower.
mrbubblehead
wonderful. thank you. i thought i was losing my mind not being able to find it. LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.