Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Case Terminology
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I am a novice engine builder. I enjoy working on my engine however I do not have much experience and I am learning as I go. Lately, I have been trying to learn about engine cases however I have been running into terms that I have not been able to figure out (ex- sunken registers, spigots- I know what a spigot or register is however I cannot figure out what is meant on this case). I figure that I am not the only one so I thought that I would post some pictures and ask for people to name the indicated areas. I just picked a bunch of parts that may or may not have specific names. I figure that this would be a good start for novices like me. (I do know the name of the several of the things arrowed however I added them for documentation purposes. If you can think of other parts areas that would be useful to name-- please add them)

(Please note that I pirated some of the pics from this website http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/

Picture 1 (please fill in the blanks)
Green Arrow-
Orange Arrow-
Red Arrow-
Purple Arrow-
Yellow Arrow-

Picture 2
Yellow Arrow-
Red Arrows-
Green Arrow-
tornik550
Anyone?
914rat
The center main journal is the big yellow arrow.The green is a case support.The purple is a case through bolt support.Small yellow is a cam through bolt support.Picture 2 yellow is a head stud bolt hole.Green is the deck,red is the case bore.Thats what I have always called them not sure if there are any other names for them.
tornik550
Thanks for the reply. When referring to a sunken register- where is that? Also, what is meant by a spigot. In general, I know what a register and spigot is- however I cannot figure out what they are in reference to a type 4 case.

Also, in picture 2, I didn't know if there was a specific name to the back of the main bearing journal- the area indicated by the red arrow in pic 2?

Thanks

P.S.- I know this post seems somewhat stupid however I thought it could help beginners like me.
Dr Evil
Green arrow in pic 2 is one of the registers. When there is a sunken register it means that after several years of abuse, the case warps in a way that allows this seating surface for the cylinder to move medially. This causes a gap at the head to cylinder interface and a condition that can not be corrected without "decking" the case = take case half and put on mill and have both registers made even.

There are no stupid questions. I wasnt born knowing these things. No one was.
Dr Evil
Spigot = part of the cylinder that fits into the register.

Skirt = part of the piston that is below the pin boss (medial - toward piston rod) and is thinner than the rest of the piston.
Van
I'm not an authority when it comes to what things are called... But I'll tell you my names for them. smile.gif

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Dec 19 2010, 03:49 PM) *

(Please note that I pirated some of the pics from this website http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/

Green Arrow- gusset
Orange Arrow- crank bearing journal
Red Arrow- cylinder sleeve bore
Purple Arrow- case through-bolt boss
Yellow Arrow- cam bearing journal/boss

Picture 2
Yellow Arrow- head stud hole
Red Arrows- journal base
Green Arrow- cylinder shoulder (maybe face)
tornik550
QUOTE(Van @ Jan 2 2011, 10:46 PM) *

I'm not an authority when it comes to what things are called... But I'll tell you my names for them. smile.gif

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Dec 19 2010, 03:49 PM) *

Green Arrow- gusset
Orange Arrow- crank bearing journal
Red Arrow- cylinder sleeve bore
Purple Arrow- case through-bolt boss
Yellow Arrow- cam bearing journal/boss

Picture 2
Yellow Arrow- head stud hole
Red Arrows- journal base
Green Arrow- cylinder shoulder (maybe face)

Your terminology makes sense to me. Everybody seems to have different terms for the same part.
Madswede
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jan 2 2011, 09:12 PM) *

Your terminology makes sense to me. Everybody seems to have different terms for the same part.

Yes. For example, experts like Mike Wills and myself refer to those parts collectively as "Joe". As in, "Something's broke, call Joe." laugh.gif
JoeSharp
Joh: Put Joe's phone number in your sig...
SLITS
Now who would want a wild-eyed, red-haired Irishman working on their German Car.

Didn't he belong to some outlawed organization that caused him to be deported to FL along with the rest of the terrorists?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.