Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok I got my Trans out...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
I got my trans out of the car, packed, and shipped down to Richard Casto at Blue Sky for a rebuild.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My question is, what other work should I do now, or parts should I replace? the obvious stuff --
- new CV joint bolts (8)
- paper cv joint gaskets
- trans fluid (duh)

the cv boots look to be in good shape. Is there anything else obvious I should be doing with the trans out of the car?

thx
Rich
montoya 73 2.0
Check and replace with all new Shift bushings, Also new Cone screws (very important)! Maybe even check your clutch and cable? Oh and your throw out bearing.
Dr Evil
Drew hit it on the head. Also, you do not need the paper CV gaskets. They shrink and expand allowing for the bolts to come loose and fall out. Many have abandoned the gaskets, including myself, and now just bolt the CV on, clean the outer mating surface with solvent, and seal with high temp silicon. Works good smile.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, read the 31 pages of notes below to find little nuggets of info to keep things running smooth. thumb3d.gif
rwilner
Thanks guys. Shift bushings and clutch cable are all new. Dr, I will check out your thread.
Dr Evil
You should be good to go thumb3d.gif
jim912928
Transmission mounts while it's out if they are old/original!
rwilner
thanks Jim, PO replaced them with solid ones.

Sounds like i'm in good shape!
Dr Evil
Solid ones are not friendly for street use. Have you driven with them yet? If so and you like them, no worries. But, I would recommend the 911 mounts. Stiffer, still rubber, last forever, cost less than 914 OE ones.
montoya 73 2.0
I just remembered the 2 alignment roll pins! They should be roll pins not solid pins.
Dr Evil
Richard should notice that and correct it if there are solid pins. Not hard to do. It looks like one or more are still stuck in the CV.
montoya 73 2.0
thumb3d.gif
rwilner
Hey Dr
My car rattles my teeth over bumps -- PO set it up for AX with 140lb rear springs and these solid mounts.

Are the 911 mounts available at the usual suspects (AA/PP)?
Dr Evil
Yup, GPR can hook you up as well. They are my preferred parts whores biggrin.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE(rwilner @ Dec 24 2010, 03:12 PM) *

I got my trans out of the car, packed, and shipped down to Richard Casto at Blue Sky for a rebuild.

If only Greyhound would finish shipping it, I could start work on it! I suspect the delay is a victim of holiday travel demand.

Richard
Cevan
Don't forget new Schnorr washers.
rwilner
QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 24 2010, 10:03 PM) *

Thanks Cevan -- actually, when i took the bolts off, there were no washers! dry.gif

Richard -- I was taking inventory last night and realized I sent you my TO bearing and clutch fork in the bell housing. I apologize for that. If you want to hang on to them that's great, if not, ship them back to me and let me know how much $$.

Richard Casto
QUOTE(rwilner @ Dec 25 2010, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 24 2010, 10:03 PM) *

Thanks Cevan -- actually, when i took the bolts off, there were no washers! dry.gif

Richard -- I was taking inventory last night and realized I sent you my TO bearing and clutch fork in the bell housing. I apologize for that. If you want to hang on to them that's great, if not, ship them back to me and let me know how much $$.

It's no big deal at all. About 1/2 show up that way anyhow. I only ask to not ship them as if I don't have them I can't loose them! Either way, everything sent to me gets sent back. I take an inventory when the transmission arrives. smile.gif

Richard
Dr Evil
I always have a designated box for each transmission so I know what came off of which and where to send it smile.gif
type47
CV bolts drilled for safety wire...
Dr Evil
Can I get an amen?

RJMII does these now smile.gif
r_towle
I second getting new washers...
Also, get a can of undercoating...clean that bottom up and stop trying to spend money.... smile.gif

Rich
rwilner
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 26 2010, 06:29 PM) *

stop trying to spend money.... smile.gif

Says the guy building a 356 in his barn smile.gif

I have learned in my short tenure with my 914 that this is not a good car to own if you don't enjoy buying parts and replacing them, much like any 40 year old car, i would imagine.

Better than a drug habit!

(but no less addictive)
rwilner
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 26 2010, 03:59 PM) *

Can I get an amen?

ok, i will bite. drilled for safety wire??

my guess is someone drilled holes in the screw caps, after you install the screws, you feed wire through the caps, which prevents them from loosening up?

pelican has the triple square ones for 0.75 ea, where can I get these drilled ones?
Cap'n Krusty
Replace that inop thermostat ............................

The Cap'n
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Dec 24 2010, 06:23 PM) *

If only Greyhound would finish shipping it, I could start work on it! I suspect the delay is a victim of holiday travel demand.

Richard

My previous employer (and the worst company in the Western Hemisphere to work for) is the parent company of Greyhound. I am familiar with their shipping systems. Let us all pray that said transmission arrives one day.
rwilner
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2010, 11:36 PM) *

Replace that inop thermostat ............................

The Cap'n

any idea where I can get my hands on one?

Update: george has them in stock.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 24 2010, 03:50 PM) *

... you do not need the paper CV gaskets. They shrink and expand allowing for the bolts to come loose and fall out. Many have abandoned the gaskets, including myself, and now just bolt the CV on, clean the outer mating surface with solvent, and seal with RTV. Works good smile.gif

I strongly disagree!
The stock paper gaskets are the best way to prevent slinging grease onto the trunk floor, starter, etc.
Expansion/contraction of the gaskets has absolutely nothing to do with the bolts loosening up.
The CVs are designed with a space for the gasket, such that the CV is still bolted metal to metal. Correct torque and new Schnorr washers is the key.
I've never used the bolts drilled for safety wire and probably never will.

In my on-track experience, RTV will not hold up to the centrifugal force of a spinning axle, and will let go prematurely - allowing the grease out.
No gasket at all is a sure way to dry out your CVs and to mess up the underside of your car. screwy.gif
Dr Evil
In my experience, high temp silicone has always worked. Never let me down.
ChrisFoley
How long do you have to wait to drive the car?
With gaskets its "torque and go". smile.gif
Dr Evil
tongue.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 26 2010, 11:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Dec 24 2010, 06:23 PM) *

Richard

My previous employer (and the worst company in the Western Hemisphere to work for) is the parent company of Greyhound. I am familiar with their shipping systems. Let us all pray that said transmission arrives one day.

Transmission has arrived. I think the delay was due to to the holiday travel traffic. So far I have been happy with Greyhound, but in general I think all shipping companies are evil as I really don't think they care about service.

QUOTE(rwilner @ Dec 26 2010, 11:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 26 2010, 03:59 PM) *

Can I get an amen?

ok, i will bite. drilled for safety wire??

my guess is someone drilled holes in the screw caps, after you install the screws, you feed wire through the caps, which prevents them from loosening up?

pelican has the triple square ones for 0.75 ea, where can I get these drilled ones?

Correct on the safety wire. Regarding sourcing, I don't think any of the typical suppliers offer them as to the best of my knowledge these are standard bolts that are drilled by hand (using a jig or otherwise). As Dr. Evil says RJMII took over doing that once Dr. Evil stopped. I don't know if RJMII is still doing those or not. PM him to find out if you are interested in going that route. I plan to start offering them myself (along with regular style), but am not ready to do so just yet. Clearly, the stock setup works and has for decades, but the safety wire setup adds additional protection.

Also as we talked about earlier, you should use new Schnorr washer on reassembly and new cap head bolts if yours are not in good condition.

I will let Dr. Evil and Racer Chris fight it out over the CV gaskets! Personally I have never had issues with using the paper gaskets. But! I do agree with the point that both have made in their own way that if you are not metal to metal and not using good hardware when you torque the bolts, it's not going to work.

Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.