Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Sway Bar Mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sailor
I am contemplating installing a rear sway bar and am trying to locate a source for the mounting tabs and reinforcing plate. PP lists them as NLA. Have an opportunity to pick bar from a local parts car but will pass if I can't source the mounting hardware.
914werke
Try Engman he has an ad/link in me member vendors section
smile.gif
sww914
I just installed a set, got them from GPR. It's actually Johnathan's car, so he got them from himself. smile.gif
badm
Engman Kit weld and bolt. http://engmanparts.com/chassis.php
Some photos of the work.
Weld bracket tab to crossmember.
Click to view attachment
Coat with primer/paint
Click to view attachment
Paint suport plates for inside trunk.
Click to view attachment
Coat with undercoating.
Click to view attachment
Install new shock bolt for sway bar.
Click to view attachment
Install sway bar.
Click to view attachment
your done.
Sailor
QUOTE(badm @ Dec 25 2010, 06:22 AM) *

Engman Kit weld and bolt. http://engmanparts.com/chassis.php

Thanks, the photos are a great help in seeing how the install is done. Is the backing plate welded in the trunk or just bolted? I assume the later since it was painted prior to install.
badm
Thanks, the photos are a great help in seeing how the install is done. Is the backing plate welded in the trunk or just bolted? I assume the later since it was painted prior to install.

I bolted the plates as well as 2 part epox, But I wold weld if I was doing this befor I painted the car
Sailor
I bolted the plates as well as 2 part epox, But I wold weld if I was doing this befor I painted the car

Thanks for the info, you wouldn't have a picture of the inside of the trunk would you?
badm
QUOTE(Sailor @ Dec 27 2010, 08:01 AM) *

Thanks for the info, you wouldn't have a picture of the inside of the trunk would you?

I dont but I will get out to the garage at some point today and get a photo, are there any others you want?Badm.
Eric_Shea
Here's some showing the inside of the trunk mount:

Hard to see any detail from this but, we soda blasted the car, welded in the reinforcement and this shot is the Wurth undercoating going on before paint:
IPB Image
Sailor
I dont but I will get out to the garage at some point today and get a photo, are there any others you want?Badm.

That should do it , thanks.
badm
QUOTE(Sailor @ Dec 27 2010, 11:00 AM) *

That should do it , thanks.

The plates had a flush mount grade 8 allen head bolt welded in befor paint, epoxy between plate and floor, grade 8 nylock nut. Badm.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
I welded in the support and bracket ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Sailor
Thanks everyone for the photos, they are very helpful. Just picked up a set of stock sway bars today. Hope to have them in by spring. beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Congratulations. You're going to love the difference.

I think they (the front at least) should have come standard on a 914.
913B
Anyone have new source for these brackets to install the rear sway bars ?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Jan 20 2013, 11:50 PM) *

You are going to have to MIG weld them on, so if you have a welder, some 1/16" thick metal, a vice, drill hammer and 4 nuts they are real easy to make.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Jan 20 2013, 08:50 PM) *

I don't know where to buy but... It looks super easy to fabricate... smile.gif

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
mr914
With the passing of Engman

I will be fabricating a set for myself, the rear mount tabs are 1" x 1/8" plate

The only challenge is making the two 90 degree bends about 1/2" from each other.

The rest is skill level 1.5. Drill and hacksaw to fabricate

Installation requires more skill and equipment welder.gif
scott_in_nh
They are not listed on his website, but you can get that from Racer Chris at CFR - Tangerine Racing.
I know because I got mine from him recently...

http://www.tangerineracing.com/contact_us.htm
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jan 21 2013, 07:21 PM) *

They are not listed on his website, but you can get that from Racer Chris at CFR - Tangerine Racing.
I know because I got mine from him recently...

http://www.tangerineracing.com/contact_us.htm

They will be in the new website that's nearly ready to go live. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.