Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydrolocked?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
My car has been sitting outside for the last week in the really bad rains we've had in LA.

I am running dual carbs. I have filters on, but didn't have the rain hats.

I went out to start it just now. It made a nasty noise and then seems to have locked up.

What should I do?
quadracerx
Pull the plugs and crank the engine over in case water got in there....Maybe spray some WD40 in after you crank it...Replace plugs and try it? Not sure its there right thing to do...but Id try it....

Steve
KaptKaos
Thanks Steve.

I spoke with Euro911, he said same.

Pulled the plugs, cranked it. #1 shot out some water. Cranked some more. Cleaned the plugs, a little carb cleaner and voila, she's running.

Letting her warm up to boil off an remaining water.

Put the rain hats back on too.
stugray
Now: CHANGE YOUR OIL & STOP RUNNING It until you do!

Stu
SirAndy
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 26 2010, 02:15 PM) *

agree.gif
r_towle
Once you are done with the mechanical work, you may want to see if Perry is still making the bib cover that waterproofs the engine bay.
Simple way to do that is put a piece of plastic over the engine lid.

Rich
KaptKaos
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 26 2010, 02:15 PM) *

Stu

Damn good point. Will do.
Cap'n Krusty
Morph'n Spectra, or whatever he's going by now, makes a nice set of rain hats for dual carbs .......................................

The Cap'n
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2010, 08:35 PM) *

Morph'n Spectra, or whatever he's going by now, makes a nice set of rain hats for dual carbs .......................................

The Cap'n

I have them. Totally forgot to install them last time I worked on the car. With the crazy rain, it was a problem.

Needless to say, the rain hats are on now.
smontanaro
Not something you want to mess around with... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock
dw914er
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Dec 27 2010, 06:48 AM) *

Not something you want to mess around with... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

unless you want a new motor. Luckily it doesn't seem like it was too bad for you. smile.gif
IronHillRestorations
This helps!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.