Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 Porsche Parade flag given to me from wife's boss
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael N
So my wife remembered today that her boss, who knows I am a Porsche fanatic, sent home a 1973 Porsche Parade flag as a holiday gift for me. He came across it at a garage sale earlier this year and bought it for me. While doing some searches for a photo of one of these flags hanging at the parade I came across this thread on The Early 911S Registry with some older 914/6 GT photos that I had never seen before.

Link to Early 911S Registry Parade Photos

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Check out these results....9 of top 20.

Click to view attachment

Can you spot the 914s?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Very Cool!

AJ Racing. Alan Johnson smokes'em all.

You can make out John Williamson's GT in front of the 904(6?).
GeorgeRud
Ah, those great old days when they had the driving events at racetracks! Those days stopped after we had the Parade hosted by Chicago Region of PCA and held the event at Road America. The National PCA office thought that things were getting a bit too fast and furious (also a couple of cars were crashed).

However, it's still nice to see that 914-6s are still taking top time of day at the Parades! Some things don't change!

Thanks for sharing those old photos, and great score on the flag!
Tom_T
A lot of the old school "Names" on those 20 drivers too! smile.gif

Tell your wife to hang onto that boss! biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 28 2010, 12:09 AM) *

Tell your wife to hang onto that boss! biggrin.gif

But not too tight !
914Sixer
Pretty cool. The 904 looks to be bad ass. Fuchs, wide tires, hood scoops, and flairs, not to mention the racing stripe down the middle.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif that's (the scoops) why I was wondering about it maybe having a six.
type47
#4 Stoddard out of N. Ohio...914/6
Michael N
Searching the web it looks as this is chassis #906-012. It is a 904 with a 6 cylinder engine.

=> George Drolsom, USA (5.5.1966) => Robert Manschot, USA => Vern Convert, USA => David A. Evans, USA (9.7.1990) => Phillip Ma, HK (2001~2004)

There were only 6 Werks-904/6 Porsches built in 1965 and raced as 2 Liter Prototype. This 906-012 was first entered by the factory at the 100km Nuerburgring race and driven by Klass/Noecker finishing 6th overall. In June, 1965, Klass/Glemser started the 24hr of Le Mans leading the race in class and 3rd overall position until the morning hours at wich they quit with a broken cam shaft. At the International Ralley Coupe de Alpes, the race team of Boehringer/Wuetherich was leading the field for most of the race but retired early.

The car was sold in 1966 without the engine to George Drolsom of Florida. He drove it in the Bahama races 1967 and the 12 hours of Sebring finishing 1st in class.

In 1998, only three 904/6 ex-werks cars could be accounted for.

In 1997, the current owner, Mr. Robert Manshot, undertook an historic correct and authentic restoration of the car, back to the 1965 Le Mans specifications.

Sure did clean up nice.

Click to view attachment

RFoulds
That is a freakin gorgeous car! Makes me want to get going on a 904 kit.
Eric_Shea
Bad@$$!
Cap'n Krusty
I worked for Vern Covert for a couple of years. Otto did, too, and so did Pete Zimmermann. We all left to open our own shops. The Chief bought that car in the pits at Sebring after a race, and he did a ton of mods to it over the years. Cut down the fuel tank so he could carry luggage, installed "T-tops", installed the HL covers, put in roll up windows, and did all the paint and body work himself. He and Ada put over 120K miles on it over the time they owned it. He replaced the brake pads at something over 100K miles. Hard compound ............ He also was the source for the HL covers and windshields.

While I worked for him (1974-1976), he made the 906 motor into a 2.2, built an intake system out of titanium, and installed a turbo (force fed the biggest SU carburetor I've ever seen!). Built the exhaust system out if Ti as well. Made a carved model of his intake manifold and had it cast to his own specs. You think timing a 911 at 6K RPM is scary? 906s were timed at 9500 +, no load ............. Otto (JW) took that car around Willow one time, one lap, and would have had TTOD if it had been an official timed lap.

In the picture of Vern sitting on the ground behind the 904, he was about 56 years old. He grew up in a rural area east of LA, and went to high school with my dad's older brother. He had another set of Fuchs for the car, and either he or Otto ran them on something. They came from Danny Ongias' Indy car. 11s and 13s, IIRC. Last I heard, The Chief was still welding, building wrought iron fences for fancy estates in Lake Havasu.

Somewhere there's a picture of the front of his shop, right after I left. There are 4 904s and a 550 sitting on the lawn. There was also a VW thing (actually, it may have been a Kubelwagen) with a Carrera engine that came in once in a while, and a Carrera2 powered 912. Otis Chandler brought his Porsches there for restoration and service.
Needless to say, it was an interesting place to work. We had fun .........

BTW, the only reason Alan Johnson took first in that Parade timed event was Otto ran out of gas. He was well ahead of the pace when it happened, and he coasted through the traps. Gotta save weight .................

The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
Great story.
sixnotfour
Chandler had a 4 cam Kubelwagen

The Flag is awesome
championgt1
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 28 2010, 05:20 PM) *

Great story.

agree.gif Thanks for sharing!
oldschool
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 28 2010, 05:10 PM) *

I worked for Vern Covert for a couple of years. Otto did, too, and so did Pete Zimmermann. We all left to open our own shops. The Chief bought that car in the pits at Sebring after a race, and he did a ton of mods to it over the years. Cut down the fuel tank so he could carry luggage, installed "T-tops", installed the HL covers, put in roll up windows, and did all the paint and body work himself. He and Ada put over 120K miles on it over the time they owned it. He replaced the brake pads at something over 100K miles. Hard compound ............ He also was the source for the HL covers and windshields.

While I worked for him (1974-1976), he made the 906 motor into a 2.2, built an intake system out of titanium, and installed a turbo (force fed the biggest SU carburetor I've ever seen!). Built the exhaust system out if Ti as well. Made a carved model of his intake manifold and had it cast to his own specs. You think timing a 911 at 6K RPM is scary? 906s were timed at 9500 +, no load ............. Otto (JW) took that car around Willow one time, one lap, and would have had TTOD if it had been an official timed lap.

In the picture of Vern sitting on the ground behind the 904, he was about 56 years old. He grew up in a rural area east of LA, and went to high school with my dad's older brother. He had another set of Fuchs for the car, and either he or Otto ran them on something. They came from Danny Ongias' Indy car. 11s and 13s, IIRC. Last I heard, The Chief was still welding, building wrought iron fences for fancy estates in Lake Havasu.

Somewhere there's a picture of the front of his shop, right after I left. There are 4 904s and a 550 sitting on the lawn. There was also a VW thing (actually, it may have been a Kubelwagen) with a Carrera engine that came in once in a while, and a Carrera2 powered 912. Otis Chandler brought his Porsches there for restoration and service.

BTW, the only reason Alan Johnson took first in that Parade timed event was Otto ran out of gas. He was well ahead of the pace when it happened, and he coasted through the traps. Gotta save weight .................

The Cap'n

Cap'n what area in east L.A. and where was his shop?
EdwardBlume
Cool flag. I guess there's a couple recognizable names there...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 28 2010, 09:50 PM) *

Vern Covert grew up in Montebello. His shop was first in an old gas station on Sepulveda Blvd in Culver City (close to Ginther's shop), then he moved it to a much larger commercial building in Venice, and it ended up on Grandview Blvd. in Mar Vista. The Place was called Porschop, and he had a letter of authorization from the Porsche family to use the name. That's why the US distributor couldn't sue him like they did everyone else ......................... Prior to being in the Porsche repair business, he was a welder in the Long Beach area and a charter sailboat operator in the Virgin Islands.

The Cap'n
oldschool
wow pretty cool.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 29 2010, 09:22 AM) *

Vern Covert grew up in Montebello. His shop was first in an old gas station on Sepulveda Blvd in Culver City (close to Ginther's shop), then he moved it to a much larger commercial building in Venice, and it ended up on Grandview Blvd. in Mar Vista. The Place was called Porschop, and he had a letter of authorization from the Porsche family to use the name. That's why the US distributor couldn't sue him like they did everyone else ......................... Prior to being in the Porsche repair business, he was a welder in the Long Beach area and a charter sailboat operator in the Virgin Islands.

The Cap'n

And don't forget Kurt Kubler, machinist extraordinare at Porschop. Kurt drove some crazy Mercedes Unimog 4wd. Bill Bagshaw the "Redlight bandit" still runs a Mopar performance parts shop out of the old Porschop complex.
Marty
SGB
This thread has some serious potential...

Anyone else been following the Mulholland RSR thread pn PP?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-d...tml#post5742927

Tell us more!
jbd3
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 28 2010, 07:10 PM) *

The Cap'n

Just stumbled across this and I'm excited to see a picture of Vern. As a kid, my family chartered Flyaway in the USVI and got to meet Vern and Ada (and Blackie). He took me for a mountain road ride in the 911S and now I'm 5 years older than he was in this picture and the proud owner of several 911s over the years. Can you provide any info on what he was up to past the 60s? We went with him to the 1966 (or so) Parade in Washington DC and he was a wonderful guy..
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 28 2010, 10:50 PM) *

The Cap'n

I was doing a little web search and hit on this old thread. Where? Montebello. The shop? First in an old gas station on Sepulveda Blvd. in Culver City, then on Redwood Avenue in Marina Del Rey (about 4 blocks from Shelby's shop), then on Grandview Blvd. in Mar Vista.

The Cap'n
john77
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 29 2010, 10:22 AM) *

The Cap'n

Great story. Small world, I live just off Grand View in Mar Vista.
Cap'n Krusty
My kids still make the pilgrimage to Tito's Tacos every now and then. Personally, I prefer Rutt's or El Rincon Criollo.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.