Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why are Hella H4 60/55's not DOT Approved?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I ordered a Hella H4 Conversion kit and noticed that is says that it is NOT DOT Approved . OK Why NOT??

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...tail&p=2622
SirAndy
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 29 2010, 04:15 PM) *
OK Why NOT??

Because someone didn't want to pay through the nose to get a DOT approval ...
shades.gif
McMark
$
914Sixer
Don't worry about the DOT approval. Just put them in and use them. Most inspection stations only see if the work.
helios
Because they actually work. lol-2.gif

I believe another part comes from the fact they don't scatter enough light (due to headlight standards from the '60s & '70s). I don't believe any of the standards changed until recently w/ the release of OEM HIDs (not talking about the drop-in kits).
ellisor3
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 29 2010, 07:23 PM) *

OK Why NOT??

Because someone didn't want to pay through the nose to get a DOT approval ...
shades.gif

But there are other Hella's that are DOT approved, right?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 29 2010, 05:49 PM) *
But there are other Hella's that are DOT approved, right?

Sure. My guess is that those are for a much larger target market and thus justify the expenses for the DOT approval ... popcorn[1].gif
detoxcowboy
From Pelican Parts there is an h4 that is not approved they call "euro" or it says "euro" on the box when you get it, then they also have h4 DOT approved. I have had both and the glass is just cut different w/ the DOT one having 3 large raised nipples on each and more cuts and the one that is DOT approved has the "DOT" mark raised on the glass cost more but is the legal one.. you can put 55/60 or 55/100 whatever.. The "euro" do not look legal few cuts and very flat, The DOT look more vintage but it is apples and oranges basically agree.gif it is money to the government which is why they cost more I presume, but Cops can be pricks
and probably just a fix it ticket but it gives the "man" reason to check you out, if your burning one your screwed. I switched to DOT and like them better but when lighted I think the "euro" appeared brighter off hand. I also run the 55/100 with no relay and no problems even running all night through Big Sur more or less alone on the highway with using 100watt brights mostly for a couple hours, nothing melted nothing burned.
helios
If you scroll down toward the bottom of the page, you can see the difference between a standard DOT and E-code beam pattern. There is more to it than just the lens flutes.

Daniel Stern Lighting

E-codes focus more light on the road, and less into the trees. In fact there is very little light that will reach trees and signs directly above the vehicle. The beam does have a kickoff up to the right to light up roadside signs.

I'm running E-codes on both the GLi and the 914 and absolutely love them (I absolutely hate the stock headlights on the Mustang). They do take a little getting used to not seeing a bunch of light in the trees though for the first while. I've also got the headlamps on the GLi relayed as well, so I'm not losing a bunch of voltage through the switch and all the wiring under the dash (dramatic increase in light on older cars). The amount of light they actually focus on the road is payoff for me. I've yet to be hassled about them, but I don't run these blue/purple HID drop-ins in DOT housings that all the kids are running nowadays.
SGB
I disagree that inspectors won't notice. I think some would. It is pretty obvious that DOT lenses have the alignment tits. Most inspectors have a book (well, database) showing what the underhoood area for each and every vehicle should look like. I'm guessing they also have a little direction about DOT lenses and other things applicable to all. It's low hanging fruit for 'em.

I know people in VA who keep the old ones around for that yearly re-installation...
aircooledtechguy
Inspection station?? confused24.gif confused24.gif

We don't need no stinkin' inspection station. . . here anyways poke.gif stirthepot.gif av-943.gif
detoxcowboy

I ordered a Hella H4 Conversion kit and noticed that is says that it is NOT DOT Approved . OK Why NOT??

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...tail&p=2622

Just for everyones info, I just noticed your link.. those h4 are cut simular but different the the "Euro" ones at Pelican, (say Euro on the box when you get them but not in the h4 listing) the "Euro" have less and differnt angle cuts and are flatter in appearnce..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.