Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal Teeners:front end rebuild party
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
silver74insocal
So we got a good game plan together and decided to move this up to Saturday instead of Sunday. Hope that works for y'all.
looks like the garage will open at 8:30 and we will be quing up some stuff for lunch and will have lots of cold drinks,
you may want to bring something to "park your ass on" as Cesar says biggrin.gif but thats about all we need, unless anyone's got something special to make these tasks go easier then by all means...

please send me a pm or respond to this thread (again) this week so i can get a head count... let the sawzall-smiley.gif ar15.gif welder.gif pain30.gif beer3.gif FERG.gif begin!!

thanks guys beer.gif Dave

are you looking for an excuse to get out of the house and shoot the stromberg.gif ?
Tired of looking at your car on jackstands and wouldnt mind looking at someone elses car on jackstands?
or so tired of just driving your trouble free 914 without having to fix anything?

WELL IVE GOT GOOD NEWS!!!
We're having a good ole fashioned hoe down bbq and front end rebuild party!! biggrin.gif

but seriously...
i have a some work to do on my car to get it roadworthy for the next dawn patrol.
a good friend and fellow dawn patroller Cesar (aka phat911 ) has generously volunteered to help out by allowing my beat up 914 to be placed on his lift and repaired in a proper fashion. He had also mentioned this may be a good learning experience and bullshit session for all of us...good call Cesar!! thumb3d.gif

provided that Cesar is still game, and some other's are interested..heres the plan:

what i need to do:
replace front passenger wheel bearings
replace boge strut inserts

what we can do (time permitting) :
replace all front bearings
replace boge inserts with brand new bilstein inserts
replace all rubber brake lines
install speeder bleeder valves and bleed (curious how good they work)
replace front a arm bushings
replace rear shocks and springs
install bump steer kit
lower car
drink beer
eat costco pizza and hot dogs
make Cesar's neighbors regret living there
make Cesar regret living there biggrin.gif

well thats about it..
the date is tentativly scheduled for JAN 30 but could get bumped back
please respond to this thread or pm me if you are interested in being involved..

thanks again for everything world! you are first.gif cheers beerchug.gif Dave
PS im hoping Cesar chimes in here..
oldschool
sound good.I may want to hang...with a bunch of cool cats shades.gif
Als914
Sounds good, I'me in.
detoxcowboy
If I am still un-employed by then, I will come drink your beer and watch you work beer3.gif (currently in the O.C.)
76-914
QUOTE(Als914 @ Dec 30 2010, 11:27 PM) *

Sounds good, I'me in.

I'm in. Hey Al; we might as well ride up together. Need any tools, impacts, torches? smash.gif
Beach914
I'm in the same boat as Detox.

If I'm still out of work at the end of the month you can count me in.

Where is Cesar's place?
mrbubblehead
im in too
'73-914kid
I'm in tentatively.. depends on school stuff, but sounds like fun. Let me know if you need me to bring any front end parts.. or any parts... me treasure trove of used suspension parts seems to continue filling up..haha

I'll bring the soda...
-Ethan
silver74insocal
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 31 2010, 06:51 AM) *

Sounds good, I'me in.

I'm in. Hey Al; we might as well ride up together. Need any tools, impacts, torches? smash.gif

i think we have everything as far as tools go...but i will let you know.
if you guys do bring any tools make sure youve got them labeled so we dont have any mix ups

Dave
silver74insocal
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Dec 31 2010, 09:08 AM) *

I'm in tentatively.. depends on school stuff, but sounds like fun. Let me know if you need me to bring any front end parts.. or any parts... me treasure trove of used suspension parts seems to continue filling up..haha

I'll bring the soda...
-Ethan

watsup Ethan! idea.gif suspension parts you say idea.gif got any front sway bars? biggrin.gif lol ive got to stop this madness!!

Als914

Sounds good, I'me in.

Hey kent

Sounds like a plan...we can plan a time and place to hook up. sheeplove.gif lol-2.gif

Al
phatnine11
OK Guys! I will post directions as soon as I tell my wife about the party! :>O!
Ha Ha! Kent, I think a propane or MAP gas torch would be good idea if you can. Otherwise, I think we're good on tools. If anyone has any homebuilt tools that will make any of the work easier, please by all means bring'em down.
Cesar
oldschool
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 31 2010, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Dec 31 2010, 09:08 AM) *

I'll bring the soda...
-Ethan

watsup Ethan! idea.gif suspension parts you say idea.gif got any front sway bars? biggrin.gif lol ive got to stop this madness!!

Dude this is a great idea .... blink.gif maybe we can do one for my next project shades.gif
maybe I can design a cool t-shirt and stickers (I have my own equipment ) and give them out to all attendees... but again just to have a time to talk cars would be cool bye1.gif
dw914er
if I plan my school schedule right, I may come down from SLO for the weekend and would be able to go to the 914 party smile.gif
silver74insocal
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Dec 31 2010, 11:42 AM) *

Ha Ha! Kent, I think a propane or MAP gas torch would be good idea if you can. Otherwise, I think we're good on tools. If anyone has any homebuilt tools that will make any of the work easier, please by all means bring'em down.
Cesar

agree.gif Kent if you still have that surface temp reader doo hickey (scientific terminology) it may come in handy to monitor heating the bushings

you should definetily attend Mr. Bubblehead. these guys are great and can answer all your 914 questions. its also quite motivating to see their cars ...they actually drive them!! driving.gif

happy new years to all ! time for a little beer3.gif drunk.gif beer.gif Dave
Black22
I'd be willing to help, but the 30th is a late night for me at work. I'll have to see what the final date ends up being then I'll confirm. It's about time I met some of the other nuts that spend half their money keeping these things on the road like me. bye1.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 31 2010, 05:56 PM) *

Cesar

agree.gif Kent if you still have that surface temp reader doo hickey (scientific terminology) it may come in handy to monitor heating the bushings

you should definetily attend Mr. Bubblehead. these guys are great and can answer all your 914 questions. its also quite motivating to see their cars ...they actually drive them!! driving.gif

i definatly want to go but i think the time frame will be to tight for me to drive the teener. i may have to drive (dare i say) a vw. it will be cool to meet some locals.
phatnine11
QUOTE(Black22 @ Dec 31 2010, 06:43 PM) *

I'd be willing to help, but the 30th is a late night for me at work. I'll have to see what the final date ends up being then I'll confirm. It's about time I met some of the other nuts that spend half their money keeping these things on the road like me. bye1.gif

You mean to tell us you only spend 1/2 your money??

silver74insocal
no teener required and theres more then a few dubbers attending, myself included. i thought i read something about you having a ghia? smile.gif Dave
'73-914kid

Cesar

What bushings do you have that need installing? Polyhraphite, delrin, or elephant racing?

You mean a pyrometer?
silver74insocal
URO front a arm bushings. i started a thread on here about them and PMB s now offering a special on them. his thread has a handy little video showing installation
silver74insocal
linky:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=114245&hl=

beer3.gif
'73-914kid
Awesome! Have you removed the old ones yet?
silver74insocal
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Dec 31 2010, 08:20 PM) *

umm no. that would (and correct me if im wrong) render the car inoperable biggrin.gif
everything is going to happen that day. i dont think Cesar's wife would appreciate losing her parking spot in their garage to my beat up teener! it is an ambitious list of stuff to get done i know, thats why we may have to chose are battles wisely IMO. trust me, the stack of parts in my garage has tempted me to no end. but with the baby rocketing his way towards the world and the nursery and other stuff not ready...taking the car apart right now(in front of my wife) would not bode well.

drive it in...tear it up...drive it out. thats the plan
thumb3d.gif (fingers crossed)
Dave
silver74insocal
heres the thread i plan on updating once were done beerchug.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=114206&hl=
dirk9141973

I wish they showed how easy new bushing move ? I still had binding till I grooved and installed grease fitting.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Dec 31 2010, 08:49 PM) *

I wish they showed how easy new bushing move ? I still had binding till I grooved and installed grease fitting.

headbang.gif dang it dirk! where were you when i posted my first thread!! smile.gif
so you installed URO bushings and had binding issues? i really dont want to take them off again to modify..care to elaborate?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 31 2010, 08:54 PM) *

headbang.gif dang it dirk! where were you when i posted my first thread!! smile.gif
so you installed URO bushings and had binding issues? i really dont want to take them off again to modify..care to elaborate?

"silver socal 74" It appears that the uro bushings your wanting to install are rubber?, if that is true then they are suppossed to be static (not move) but they do flex/twist then recoil just like the factory rubber bushings. So in short binding is what your want. If your installing any of the plastic (poly graphite, delrin, ect.??) then they are supposed to be non-binding and work like a bearing.. I have installed poly/delrin/rubber and have learned the hard example.. Currently and for this car permenently on rubber.. Joe
silver74insocal
thats what i thought i had learned from your posts on my other thread. i think dirk (and the vodka) threw me off drunk.gif thanks again Joe beerchug.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 31 2010, 09:47 PM) *

thats what i thought i had learned from your posts on my other thread. i think dirk (and the vodka) threw me off drunk.gif thanks again Joe beerchug.gif

I like Vodka! w00t.gif DetoxCowboy! drunk.gif
mrbubblehead
what a coincidence silver. i just went to harbor freight this evening and bought a 12 ton press. i will be installing my rear bushings tomorrow if your in the neighbor hood, drop on by.....
silver74insocal
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 31 2010, 09:51 PM) *

what a coincidence silver. i just went to harbor freight this evening and bought a 12 ton press. i will be installing my rear bushings tomorrow if your in the neighbor hood, drop on by.....

biggrin.gif throw it in the ghia for the party!
how much that thing cost ya?
mrbubblehead
seriously? im going to weld it together. but i could probly fit it the bus? it was 150 bucks minus a 20% off coupon. ther is a coupon for 25% off tomorrow only.
silver74insocal
that would definetily make a difference in the bushing install!! Cesar had a good idea of using the lift like a press..but VERY CAREFULLY!! whatever's clever, if it doesnt get done at the party is no worries beer3.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 31 2010, 10:16 PM) *

that would definetily make a difference in the bushing install!! Cesar had a good idea of using the lift like a press..but VERY CAREFULLY!! whatever's clever, if it doesnt get done at the party is no worries beer3.gif

sure. if i can get it in the bus idea.gif . i'll bring it. i'll know better tomorrow
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 31 2010, 10:16 PM) *

I think back in your other thread I mentioned how I did mine without a vice or press.. I used #1 bottle of dish soap and water, #2 Extra Long Plastic Mechanical Wood Clamps that have a squeeze handle that allows you to slowly tighten and squeeze closed with continual pressure. Cheap tool think (home depot) worked fine but not as easy as the install video's with huge press or vices... Shadetree Mechanic for sure but got the job done..
Beach914
Kinda off topic but I was going through my garage boxes and sorting things out at my wifes request and found one of my old magazine boxes.

Found a couple of old R&T's Dec 69 and April 70 and look at whats in them!!!!!

Thought I would burn a set for copying and then bring them to the working tech session that we are having.

I think I've got another box with 71 thru 74 R&T's somewhere so I've got to dig some more.

David

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(Als914 @ Dec 31 2010, 11:06 AM) *

Sounds good, I'me in.

Hey kent

Sounds like a plan...we can plan a time and place to hook up. sheeplove.gif lol-2.gif

Al

10-4; I'm going to take my PU to haul some tools so you can ride with me. PM me before Jan 30 and I'll send you my address in Winchester.
76-914

Cesar

OK, torches I got. I'll bring one. How about some forks for the ball joints? Pnuematic chisel's?
76-914

Cesar

I'll bring one Dave but they are good to about 780' F, only. If you are looking to gage temps above this we will need to get some heat sticks from the welding supply. Do you know what temp your expecting? These heat sticks come in different ranges.
dirk9141973
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 31 2010, 08:54 PM) *

I'm in Ohio over looking OH river at KY Bourbon Drinker!!!

Make the bushings fit the car. You have to work with bushings fit snug not tight or press fit, file, belt sander, etc ?? I found parts are not round after 30 years. The new parts are true and round. (Nothing is true on 914's unless you replaced it) Unless you want to machine or replace "A" arms make bushing fit the car. Once I got snug fit used dremel tool inside the bushing installed groove and drilled and taped greese fitting. You have to drill through rubber bushing to allow greese to flow. Very smooth movement and only cost $29.00 bushings $ 4.00 greese fittings and 6 to 7 hr labor. Someone sells "A" arms with with grease fittings but $ 300 plus.
silver74insocal
I'll bring one Dave but they are good to about 780' F, only. If you are looking to gage temps above this we will need to get some heat sticks from the welding supply. Do you know what temp your expecting? These heat sticks come in different ranges.

the video says 180-200 deg F
phatnine11
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 31 2010, 10:08 PM) *

seriously? im going to weld it together. but i could probly fit it the bus? it was 150 bucks minus a 20% off coupon. ther is a coupon for 25% off tomorrow only.

Mrbubblehead,
What kind of welding are you doing??
Cesar
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Jan 1 2011, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 31 2010, 10:08 PM) *

Mrbubblehead,
What kind of welding are you doing??
Cesar

its not worth tig welding so i used my mig machine.

btw, the press worked like a charm. it is kind of awkwrd trying to hold the trailing arm and working the press by myself tho.
phatnine11
Gents,
The address is 9411 Poppyfield Ct, Rancho Cucamonga. I would recommend you use the factory installed GPS that came with your 914 :>). You must have the updated maps for your GPS, or all you will see is a vineyard where our home now stands. PM me if you have any questions!
C-YA! on the 30th,
Cesar
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Jan 2 2011, 06:21 PM) *

Gents,
The address is 9411 Poppyfield Ct, Rancho Cucamonga. I would recommend you use the factory installed GPS that came with your 914 :>). You must have the updated maps for your GPS, or all you will see is a vineyard where our home now stands. PM me if you have any questions!
C-YA! on the 30th,
Cesar

I can lend a hand, some tools or just plain B.S.!

I did my front end my self as well and may be able to provide some shorcuts/insight.
EdArango
I'm in......Where is Cesar's place?
EdArango
Hey....I've got my transmission out and clean. Can I bring it down and have someone show me how to rebuild it too or at least give it a once over? piratenanner.gif

ED
silver74insocal
[/quote]

I can lend a hand, some tools or just plain B.S.!

I did my front end my self as well and may be able to provide some shorcuts/insight.
[/quote]
great to hear Derek! did you do the rubber or poly bronze? if you've made any special tools or have any insight to some feel free to pm me or post. hope to see you there beer.gif Dave
silver74insocal
QUOTE(EdArango @ Jan 3 2011, 12:19 PM) *

Hey....I've got my transmission out and clean. Can I bring it down and have someone show me how to rebuild it too or at least give it a once over? piratenanner.gif

ED

that would be great ! although im not sure if anyone in the group can offer much in the tranny rebuilding department ..if so im sure someone will chime in beer.gif Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.