Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 13" wheels+tires for 914 racer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Chris Pincetich
What do you all think about an ultimate wheel/tire advantage going 13" wheels vs. 15" wheels? For AX or track? This would be for a second set of race only wheels+tires.

I know a local guy who did the mods to use 13" wheels on a 914. This is the first I have seen it done, but I don't have decades of racin experience either.

13" seems to have plenty of available race tires that are cheaper (very cheap as race-track throw-aways). Getting wheels may be a custom job, that's what my friend did, but maybe there are VW bugs or other 4x130s (or 5-lug P-car) racers that have used wheels?

Very interested in your insight into physics and experience of 13s vs. 15s.
I have seen lots of fast SCCA cars with them.
beerchug.gif
Happy New Year!
URY914
First: you better check your rule book if you're going to a/x w/ 13" wheels. You just moved into the modified class.

Second: On the track you will change your gears so much you'll probably be slower overall.
DanT
Chris, to touch on one of Paul's points.
Zone 7 PCA does not have any rules currently that address wheel diameter, only wheel width.
Chris Pincetich
With the carbon fiber body parts I have, I already land in modified. No worries!
beerchug.gif
As DanT knows, I am usually at the PCA events, hoping to be in the top half.
I would do this to be faster at AX, have wheels+tires that fit inside for transport better, and because faster wheels are cheaper than a faster motor right now.
DanT
top half is what I have in mind for my stock '75 on street tires for next season....should be great for my PAX results. smilie_pokal.gif
see you out there Chris...
the 13" wheels/tires are definitely an interesting mod. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Wheels & tires are lighter...if ya don't buy steel wheels. R25 Hoosier cantis are available. Good grip but quick wear.
BKLA
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 31 2010, 07:45 PM) *

Wheels & tires are lighter...if ya don't buy steel wheels. R25 Hoosier cantis are available. Good grip but quick wear.

Will a 13"'wheel even fit over the stock brake caliper and disc?
DanT
caliper needs to be changed
see a thread here
13" wheels and tires on a 914
smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.