Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to break into the front trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
sad.gif

so it there an easy way to do this without major surgery?
thanks blink.gif
tradisrad
remove the front bumper and you can get to the latch. 4 bolts, well maybe not with that '75 bumper.
Rod
Yes there is - under the bumper is a screwhole - get a screwdriver in there and it will pop open. I'll try and find a pic for you...

You need to remove the bumper btw sad.gifsad.gif
sfrenck
Haynes manual Chapter 10 has the procedure and a pic of the hole (Fig 10.15 in my copy)
johannes
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jan 2 2011, 02:25 PM) *

remove the front bumper and you can get to the latch. 4 bolts, well maybe not with that '75 bumper.
Even easier with the late bumper ... only two nuts.
DanT
thanks guys...was able to have my daughter pull with both hands on the release handle while I pushed and pulled on the front of the hood....the mechanism was releasing part of the way but not all the way....finally after a couple of tries, the hood popped open...
I then readjusted the latch, took all the slack out of the release cable.
Several dry runs just setting the latch by hand as the trunk was open...worked fine.
Finally re-shut the hood and it worked better than it has since I reassembled things...
Should have taken the time to readjust during reassembly smile.gif

Rod
QUOTE(DanT @ Jan 2 2011, 11:31 PM) *

thanks guys...was able to have my daughter pull with both hands on the release handle while I pushed and pulled on the front of the hood....the mechanism was releasing part of the way but not all the way....finally after a couple of tries, the hood popped open...
I then readjusted the latch, took all the slack out of the release cable.
Several dry runs just setting the latch by hand as the trunk was open...worked fine.
Finally re-shut the hood and it worked better than it has since I reassembled things...
Should have taken the time to readjust during reassembly smile.gif

Well done piratenanner.gif
DanT
QUOTE(esses62 @ Jan 2 2011, 04:32 PM) *

turning the steering wheel to full lock will give you more room to access bumper bolt in fender welll on each side.

rightie tightie lefty loosey happy11.gif

Bumper bolts on a '75 are out in front under the bumper where all can get easy access, one of the pluses of late bumpers biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Squirt some lube into the release cable housing. Helps a lot.
DanT
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 2 2011, 04:40 PM) *

yes it does, and I had lubed the cable several months ago...I was pretty sure the latch was just not releasing completely and that was the case...now all the slack is removed and the latch is readjusted properly.
timofly
QUOTE(DanT @ Jan 2 2011, 06:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 2 2011, 04:40 PM) *

yes it does, and I had lubed the cable several months ago...I was pretty sure the latch was just not releasing completely and that was the case...now all the slack is removed and the latch is readjusted properly.

Also, be sure that the cable is secured at all the factory points. Too much flex will prevent you getting the leverage you need to open the mechanism. BTDT.

Tom_T
For future reference Dan, the small hole dead center of the front panel in the pic of my 73 below gives you access with a flat-head screwdriver to pop the emergency release pin on the lower latch mechanism inside (once you get the bumper off) & is there on all MYs.

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.