Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV Trivia Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
What happens when you are at 6k rpms on the front stretch and miss 4th and shift to 2nd?
Joe Bob
Float the valves, over rev the motor, hand grenade the motor.....sometimes.... rocking nana.gif
Gint
Personal experience? This weekend's DE? You?
seanery
see today's tip #3 in DE thread.

car is still at the track. Doesn't sound like valves, not burning or blowing oil through exhaust, but it has a nice steady flow of oil pouring out when the car is running. I'm afraid it's a hole in the case. sad.gif Renting a trailer tomorrow to go pick it up.
Gint
Sux! Sounds like you had fun though.
Joe Bob
Ouch...sorry to hear about that..... headbang.gif

If ya need a motor FAST let me know....operators are standing by... smilie_flagge24.gif
J P Stein
Ouch.........

Broken push rod/tube, maybe.....valve cover?

Sounds like the hole is above the normal sump oil level.
seanery
It all depends what it needs. I have a case lined up if it's the case. If it's p/c or topend that's another story. I'll keep y'all informed.
seanery
JP, I was thinking maybe pushrod tube. We'll see though. It sounds decent, but not quite right.
Aaron Cox
OMG that sucks! ohmy.gif

Did it go baboom like a hand grenade???? it would be topend / vlavetrain stuff right?
seanery
not a baboom, just a very high rev. It's either a hole in the case or pushrod tube I think.
Aaron Cox
hole in the case... from what? thrown rod?(sorry. im still learning failure modes of over - revving an engine)
seanery
dunno, it's just spilling a lot of oil, gotta be a hole somewhere. Oil filter and cooler don't look like the source. If it's not a p/r tube It's gonna be pretty catastrauphic I think.
Aaron Cox
what could make a hole in the pushrod tube? bent pushrod?
McMark
Overrevved 2.0 rods are known for loosing their big ends and busting out the case.

Check on top (obviously), on the bottom (obviously), and near where the pushrod tubes enter the case (the side).
Aaron Cox
OMG ohmy.gif i saw a type 1 case have that happen. man o man...it was ugly.
914ghost
Still runs?
No obvious loud knock but it's just "not right"?
I've bent pushrods before. The type 4 p/r tubes are pretty sturdy, but you could easily give one a tweek and make it leak.
Downside is, it usually means a bent valve too- if only slightly at the head.
If you float the valves enough to bend one it's usually because it was trying to close and the piston came up and had a close encounter with it before it could shut.
If you had a hole in the case ...well...that's usually obvious from my experience. If it runs with a hole, it's a sound straight from hell. Secound only to the diagonally snapped crankshaft that still locks together enough to run...thats a weird weird monster. unsure.gif A friend of mine had that, I thought the engine would jump right out of the car.
-Bob O
SirAndy
dude, that sucks sad.gif

she was running so nicely when i drove her ...
Andy
seanery
Andy, it was running awesome. I didn't have the straightline speed others had (911s and boxsters) but I could pick em up at the technical stuff. It pulled hard all the way to 6k. I hope it's not terminal.
Jeroen
Sean, that SUCKS!
Hope the damage isn't too bad, although it doesn't sound promising sad.gif

Keep us posted on what you find...

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
Yeah, I did that too but it just looks like I blew out a valve covers gasket. Stupid cone screw in the shift rod was backing out making it harder and harder to find the gears.
4WheelDrifter
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 25 2004, 06:23 PM)
What happens when you are at 6k rpms on the front stretch and miss 4th and shift to 2nd?

Sorry to hear it Seanery. Hope it's not major. sad.gif

Did this same thing a while back when I had my 84 Rabbit diesel 5spd. Killed the valves. At the time, I was playing with a Buick Grand National on the highway. The guy was pissed he couldn't get away until I made the bad shift. It wasn't open highway, that's the reason he couldn't get away. He just couldn't navigate the light traffic like I could. happy11.gif

Another time I hit the wrong gear was on my Suzki Bandit400. I revved out 2nd to the 14,000 rpm redline and hit first by acccident. When I looked down at the tach, it was on it's way DOWN past 16,000! ohmy.gif Engine still runs great 17,000 miles later minus the carb problems.
Jake Raby
I did it in my car at 7200! fully engaged second!

It went over 8500 RPM before I could hit the clutch..

Still runs like a wristwatch! Thats why we use .250 valve reliefs in those engines!
Joseph Mills
Sean,

SORRY to hear this news sad.gif

I've done it a few times and thankfully caught it before the revs shot too high.

Here's hoping the damage will not be too bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.