Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some used wheels, Cheap! Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
steeks
Ok, here is my sob story... I was out in the old 914 doing a shake down run trying to locate the elusive noise from the back of my car, when all of the sudden... out of nowhere, a huge patch of ice right in the apex of a turn! Even my years of experience in amateur auto racing could not stop the car from sliding into a curb and in turn bending the s@#t out if my back wheel. Upon further investigation, 2 of my other wheels have a little movement in them as well. So, being unemployed at the moment and full of piss and vinegar, I'm searching for a set of wheels. Not looking for anything fancy, But this car is my daily driver and I need transportation. That being said, if anyone has a set of wheels that will fit a 4 lug 914, and would be willing to part with them cheap, Please let me know. Not looking for anything fancy, just need something reasonably straight. sheeplove.gif ( right now, I'm the sheep!)
Eric_Shea
Hate to add salt to the wound but... be prepared to get a rear trailing arm as well.

No 4-lug wheels here but I'll give you a good icon_bump.gif
GeorgeRud
Did you check the local wrecking yards? The four lug pattern was also used on VWs, and you may be able to find some steel ones for not much money. I do seem to remember a few 914s at a wrecking yard near the Phoenix airport, but that was almost a year ago.

Hopefully, some members of the list may have some extra steel ones that they will donate to the cause!

Unfortunately, the trailing arm may be an issue, but it's better to bend an easily replaceable piece than tear out the mounts on the body. Sometimes those engineers do things for a purpose, and anticipated failure modes are not always a bad thing.
MoveQik
20th Street Auto has plenty of wheels but his pricing is all over the map. Some days he is a steal, other days a rip. Worth a try.

I would even give Jack Doverspike at Stuttgart Southwest a call. He might have some laying around that he would be willing to sell. I've bought a couple of center caps and a few other random parts from him in the past.
d914
no help here but check the front bearings also,, maybe need tightening.. That was always a biggie at track days and autocross for the porsches..That might solve the front wheel issues,,,, hopa hopa!! smile.gif
PBC914
QUOTE(d914 @ Jan 4 2011, 03:17 PM) *

no help here but check the front bearings also,, maybe need tightening.. That was always a biggie at track days and autocross for the porsches..That might solve the front wheel issues,,,, hopa hopa!! smile.gif

If you pay for shipping I have 2 steel sport wheels that are 4 lug, and 2 wheels that are on the rear that are a combination of steel rim and gold center. They're free if you want them.
Paul
steeks
Thanks Paul, PM sent.
Al Meredith
I have four 4 lug 15" "trash can lids" with the star pattern. Here is the problem, they are 4.5" wide. All the 914s that had that wheel had 5.5". I think they came from a VW. Anyone want them? $100 Eventually I'll put them on "thesamba".

Al
racerbvd
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Jan 4 2011, 01:45 PM) *

If you pay for shipping I have 2 steel sport wheels that are 4 lug, and 2 wheels that are on the rear that are a combination of steel rim and gold center. They're free if you want them.
Paul

Post pix incase someone has 3 that match your 2..
914_teener
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jan 4 2011, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(PBC914 @ Jan 4 2011, 01:45 PM) *

Paul

Post pix incase someone has 3 that match your 2..

I've got some Rivs for a 4 lug set up......
steeks
Wow, you guys are great! I haven't heard anything definative from anyone yet, But just the fact that some people are putting forth an effort kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy all over. I was raised to always lend a hand to people in need regardless of their situation, It is nice to see that those simple values are still alive today. Regardless of whether I find some wheels for my car or not, There are some good down to earth people on this website, and your efforts are truly appreciated and will be remembered.
kfish914
I still have my original spare steel wheel you can have. I just gave away the other four this last summer to get them out of the garage. (went to five lug). I can check with the guy I gave them to to see if he still has them if you don't find any closer. I am just about to go back to work next week after 15 months off, so I understand.
steeks
Anything will help, Having to walk 1.3 miles to catch a ride into town really sucks in the cold. Please let me know. I know that my passenger side rear is trash, and my drivers rear and drivers front have alot of movement in them. By looking at them, you would thing I was taking some "Dukes of Hazzard" jumps in this thing. Thanks alot.
steeks
914 Teener, What do you need to get out of those Rivieras??? Let me know, I will do my best to come up with the cash, I'm desperate.
JoeSharp
I posted a link to here over on NARP for Greg. Hope he chimes in.
steeks
Thanks again Joe, Hopefully the 914 gods will smile on me, and I can make that Route 66 run.
76-914
QUOTE(steeks @ Jan 7 2011, 06:56 AM) *

Thanks again Joe, Hopefully the 914 gods will smile on me, and I can make that Route 66 run.

I will have 4 rims and tires soon that I bought from a member here. You cvan have them for what I paid, 100.00. I haven't received them yet but when I do I will only need them for 2-3 days. Let me know via a PM.
Gint
I'm pretty sure I have 4 steelies I would gladly give you as long as you paid for shipping. In fact I'd like to get rid of some of them. But it sounds like you're in a hurry and time is the one thing I'm really short on. If you have some time and don't need them this instant, PM me.
bdstone914
If you need a trailing you can have one free if you pay for shipping. Most have the hubs removed and the bearing would probably need to be replaced.
I might have a set of Dan Gurnay wheels that would also be free. I am out of town until the 14th.
Give me a call at 951 536 7478. I may have a freind who could take them to the Phoenix area.
Bruce

QUOTE(steeks @ Jan 7 2011, 06:56 AM) *

cconcepcion
I've got a set of 5 steelies. (5.5 inches wide) they're not concours but look good @ 5ft. Had them painted 5 yrs ago. I'm located in Peoria,AZ. asking $300 623.225.9817

Regards, Cesar
Gint
I sent you a PM. I do have 4 5.5" steelies. It will take a few days for me to get them packed up to ship though. PM your address.
hot_shoe914
I know I have one, maybe two Rivs I will be willing to give up for shipping. Just let me know if I can be of help.
steeks
Everyone has been great in trying to help me out, Too all of those who responded, Thank you. I havent actually worked out logistics to get any wheels yet, but something will work out soon, I can feel it. Now, My second problem: Does anyone know where I could get ahold of some used 38mm lug bolts. Mine are only 25mm and will not work with alloy wheels. I checked around and cannot currently afford $7.50 each for lug nuts. Thats $120 + shipping! I cant seem to find a porsche salvage yard online that has any. Let me know if you've got any ideas, Thanks. Steve.
Gint
If you're looking at getting some factory alloy wheels, great, factory 38mm ball seat lug bolts are fine. But as I said in a PM, if you're looking for lug bolts for Gurneys, they do not use ball seat bolts. They require flat seat bolts.
steeks
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 12 2011, 05:49 PM) *

If you're looking at getting some factory alloy wheels, great, factory 38mm ball seat lug bolts are fine. But as I said in a PM, if you're looking for lug bolts for Gurneys, they do not use ball seat bolts. They require flat seat bolts.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna wind up with, I just know the lug bolts I have aren't gonna do me any good. I'm just looking for a resource to get what I need when I know what that is.
Gint
Patience man. Your resource is right here. Wait until you figure out what wheels you're going to use. That will dictate which lug bolts you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.