Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OBX Headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Woody
Does anybody have any experience with the OBX header? This is for a 2056. I need to redo the exhaust and while I would love a Tangerine setup its just not in the budget at the moment.
Chris Hamilton
I too am curious if anyone has experience with these.

edit: here is the ebay listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-HEADER-...s#ht_1759wt_941
DanT
I prefer headers that use stub pipes that connect directly to the head, and then you bolt the header to the stub pipes...much easier for installation and removal in the future...and you are not playing with the exhaust studs constantly.
Chris Hamilton
I like stub pipes as much as the next 914 owner, but a set of stub pipes by themselves from Tangerine cost more than this entire header.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 5 2011, 05:23 PM) *

I like stub pipes as much as the next 914 owner, but a set of stub pipes by themselves from Tangerine cost more than this entire header.

Rule of thumb:
You get what you pay for. dry.gif
FourBlades
Tangerine headers: better flowing, sounding, and looking than anything Porsche
ever made.

Click to view attachment

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

John
Woody
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 5 2011, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 5 2011, 05:23 PM) *

Rule of thumb:
You get what you pay for. dry.gif

Oh I understand that. I would love to buy one of your set ups and I probably will. Its just gonna take some time to get there.
infraredcalvin
I mostly hang on the bird in the turbo forum, where heat is an issue and this brand has been discussed in turbo applications frequently. OBX I belive is a chinese mass produced product with questionable welds and fitment issues (at least for the 930). the problem with the welds is that there is typically a lot of slag left in these, just one small piece breaks off and your turbo is gone. The welds also crack fairly easily with the turbo heat as well, but as stated above, you get what you pay for. In a N/A 914 application, it may not be as much of an issue. People have posted pictures of the fittment being over 1/2 inch off at the heads...
Chris Hamilton
The last thread ended with everyone fiercely speculating about how the quality couldn't be very good.

I'm assuming that if they manufacture these things someone must have bought one at some point and have some real experience with it?
race914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 5 2011, 05:21 PM) *

Tangerine headers: better flowing, sounding, and looking than anything Porsche
ever made.

Click to view attachment

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

John

I'll never use anything else.... you definitely get what you pay for...

Been using these since Garretson started making them, then Quiet HP, then Chris... Absolutely the best!!

underthetire
I don't have that brand, but mine look the same. I can tell you that the 4-1 collector is just an exhaust leak X4. Had to weld mine up.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 6 2011, 11:48 AM) *

I don't have that brand, but mine look the same. I can tell you that the 4-1 collector is just an exhaust leak X4. Had to weld mine up.

Kerry Hunter?
http://kerryhunterenterprise.com/914-4.htm
confused24.gif
after welding how is it? what muffler are you running?
AndyB
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 6 2011, 02:48 PM) *

I see a total of 3 2into 1 connections on the tangerine header where is the 4 into 1 collecter? confused24.gif
tradisrad
I recall seeing some SS heat exchangers for about $100 more than those headers on ebay and you wont need a special muffler. Just a thought. Heat Exchangers Oh, and you'll have heat!
sean_v8_914
i was waiting for OBX to do the right thing before posting this but I have a duty to the 914 community to show ya'll this. OBX wants me to pay return shipping before I get a refund. I offered to help solve these incorrect alignment issues. I will post the email string that has been going on fro 6 months.

if OXB does the right thing after seeing this I will still be surprised, but first the pics
Woody
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jan 7 2011, 10:19 AM) *

i was waiting for OBX to do the right thing before posting this but I have a duty to the 914 community to show ya'll this. OBX wants me to pay return shipping before I get a refund. I offered to help solve these incorrect alignment issues. I will post the email string that has been going on fro 6 months.

if OXB does the right thing after seeing this I will still be surprised, but first the pics

Wow, thats not just off a little bit either.
sean_v8_914
I even sent these photos to OBX
obx sells on ebay under racing parts depot. they sell other porsche parts such as lsd limited slip

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-HEADER-...sQ5fAccessories

they also sell OBX Helical LSD Differential LSD 92-95 PORSCHE 968 G50

I wonder if the quality control is the same crap as the header
Chris Pincetich
That is just FUGLY
bs.gif
I wonder how many exhaust studs have been broken by folks trying to "make it work" and squeeze them to fit? That one there has not chance of even hitting half the correct studs. Not even sure it those could be made to work with a chop and some "corrective" stub pipes.

Thanks for sharing this, it was the right call beerchug.gif

I have said many times on the forum that a good set of headers was the best investment I have made to "wake up" my TIV. I prefer good power and sound over heat smile.gif
Sawfish

Wow thats too bad... Why wouldnt they make an attempt at getting this right or resolving this problem? At least pay for shipping and refund the money?

Its really too bad some simple geometry changes and better customer service they would have more than a few 914 fans. Thanks for the posts!
Woody
Any fans of the Kerry Hunter setup?
Sawfish
QUOTE(Woody @ Jan 7 2011, 09:53 AM) *

I was leaning towards A Kerry Hunter after reading this about the obx issues.
I will post with pictures if I purchase one
sean_v8_914
we ran a Kerry hunter w suoper trap on teh 10jreen 2.4 103 x 71. now its on ziggy's 2056 d jet
the materials and weld work look very clean on the stainless steel OBX but you can not get it to bolt up. its not even close. still no responce from racing parts depot in oakland ca
hydroliftin
QUOTE(Woody @ Jan 7 2011, 09:53 AM) *

Yes, I am a fan of the Kerry Hunter setup. The only problem is that I don't think thwy make them any more. I bought mine used from e-bay a couple of years ago. Bolted up fine. No problems since.
yeahmag
I think the Kerry Hunter is being made again.

http://www.kerryhunterenterprise.com/
DanT
I ran a version of the Euro Race headers that are also sold by Paragon Products...
Mine were ceramic coated inside and out, ran very well on my D-jetted 2056 biggrin.gif
4 into one collector...each individual header pipe is bolted up to a stub pipe and then into the collector...easy to mount and align that way.
914rat
Chris also makes an economy version Tangerine with a magna flow muffler for about $1000.Don't know how it compares with the Kerry Hunter or ERH but the ERH is $765 and couldn't find a current price on the Kerry Hunter last price posted with the supertrapp muffler was $520 in 2002.Any bets on which one is better?
ChrisFoley
Kerry Hunter hasn't made a 914-4 header for many years, but you can get a repro from AA.
Either way, there are some real shortcomings that can't be overlooked, especially for street-car use. IMEO (in my expert opinion), the ERH isn't any better, despite what owners of them will tell you.

Remember - louder is faster, right? wacko.gif
Chris Hamilton
Dan, that header looks great! Do you have any more pictures from other angles?
DanT
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 7 2011, 05:59 PM) *

Dan, that header looks great! Do you have any more pictures from other angles?

I will have to take a look at my photos....I am not sure I have any other pics with it installed Chris.

here is a decent shot of all the pieces before install.
underthetire
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jan 6 2011, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 6 2011, 11:48 AM) *

Kerry Hunter?
http://kerryhunterenterprise.com/914-4.htm
confused24.gif
after welding how is it? what muffler are you running?

Looks the same but does not have the spring. I bought them off someone here for thirty five bucks. They had holes it looked like you could put screws through, but I figured they would just come out and put a hole in my tire. Inreally need to pull them off and weld them better, but it works. Muffler is just a dual tip tuna can. Its a little loud, but not as bad as a super trap or something.
geniusanthony
I have a patrick/kerry hunter header and aside from the obvious lack of heat, I have no complaints, you must keep in mind that it is mild steel
sean_v8_914
I would throw it in the trash for a chris foley header in a heart beat...but first i need a new 2400 to put it on. my customers have better engines than me sad.gif
sean_v8_914
I have provided pictures several times. Would you like them again? I am only asking for what is reasonable and customary in a fair transaction of defective parts
I will gladly box it up and send it back ASAP on your shipping account. Already paid to ship it here when I bought it. please Send the return shipping ticket to my shop as indicated in my signature. You get discount shipping because of volume, right?
Regards, Sean M Molloy
sdAutosport.com
7323 El Cajon Blvd
La Mesa CA 91941

Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 1:09 PM
To: Sean Molloy
Subject: Re: OBX porsche header refund RMA

go ahead,
i told you at first time ok, you need to send picture and header back for refund,
you never do that my request,
RPD

----- Original Message -----
To: 'EBAY @ RPD'

Read this. Over 1000 Porsche owners will read this in less than 3 days. This is an opportunity for you to look good and do the honorable thing.
Next will be on rennlist.com pelicanparts.com 914club.com clubnarp.com paypal ebay craigslist

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1414682

I will gladly box it up and send it back ASAP on your shipping account. Send the return shipping ticket to my shop as indicated in my signature. What is your address?

i being looking for your you header case all over warehouse now i get my answer, you ask me for refund that you don't even return yet,
you need to return the header for refund, you can see my very first reply email that i ask you for picture and return the header back for refund,
thank you
RPD

There is no tracking number, We have not gotten that far. You did not ask me to return it yet. Most companies I deal with issue an RMA and a return shipping ticket. I still have the defective header here. I will gladly box it up and send it back on your shipping account. Send the return shipping ticket to my shop as indicated in my signature.

Are all the other headers in stock messed up (defective alignment) or just this one? Send me a header that fits correctly. That would be a good solution also. A refund is good but a well fitting header that bolts up would be the best option.
Places like 914world.com, 914club.com, pelicanparts.com, pcasdr.org, clubnarp.com, rennlist.com, pcaocr.org, pcagpx.org are all eagerly awaiting the outcome of this header issue. This is the 12th email between us. I would like to resolve it in under 20.
Regards, Sean M Molloy
sdAutosport.com
7323 El Cajon Blvd
La Mesa CA 91941

ok,, i received your invoice number, i need to look for return header, i will let you know, anyway do you have return tracking number? if yes easy for me to look
item purchased Aug 5th 2010
item number. 150469525345
shipped to xxxxxxx 4720 cvbnmt San Diego, ca 921xx
this should be enough info, right. I am still looking for the invoice.

ok,, just give me your invoice number, your name on the invoice and shipping address so we can find out
thnak you
RPD

Hello gentlemen
The item number (6037825xxx) you state is not me. I am sure you sold more than one of these. We bought the OBX header under item number 1504695xxx
My initial correspondence with racingparts depot was on Aug-13-10 15:55:04 PDT
Please make refund to my partner’s PayPal account email xxxxxxxxxxxnet
I am still interested in helping you fix these. I am a well respected Porsche 914 expert and racer, just google my name “sean molloy porsche 914” and you will find me

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:20 PM

what are you talking about, for item # 160378259xx we already Refund back to your paypal account , refund date was 11/5/10
check in your paypal account,
To: 'EBAY @ RPD' x
Hello gentlemen
I have not heard back from you or OBX about us (SDautosport.com) helping to fix the Porsche 914 header manufacturing fitment problems. Since much time has gone by I would like to take you up on your offer to refund our money for the header. Let me know what we need to do next to get that refund in the works. If you want the defective part returned to you, I will box it up. Just send me a UPS or FEDEX return ship ticket addressed to where you would like it to go to.
I still think it would be a shame to throw these all away if they are all defective fitment. Im sure you invested a lot of time and money to do a production run and I know the demand would be strong at this price point. Our shop has received many inquiries about your product and I put them on hold in anticipation of us resolving the fitment issues together. The materials seem to be good and the finish looks nice
Regards, Sean M Molloy

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 2:16 PM

let me talk to OBX,if you want,you can return for refund.
Thankyou for your response. I have a lot of pictures. I don’t want them to get lost in the spam filters so Ill go light but you may ask for more if you cant see what you need

I shrunk the file size. If you want higher resolution, let me know.

There are 2 critical angles to observe. Notice the oval port opening and how the mounting tabs relate to the oval position
I have used an SSI brand heat exchanger in the photo as a reference to illustrate the oval position vs the mounting tab position
Regards, Sean M Molloy

I am sure they spent a good chunk of money to get these made. Solving the assembly problem would help recover those costs. The 914 community needs a reasonably priced header like the OBX. The refund offer is good customer service, thank you. the header looks promising. There are quite a few guys on 914world.com, 914club.com and pelicanparts.com that seem to be waiting for a review on this product. I haven’t said anything yet. I told my customers to bring them over and I would see what we could do. A good assembly fixture would solve the fitment problems.
I look forward to hearing what OBX says.

Regards, Sean M Molloy
sean_v8_914
should have psted it backwards or read it bottom to top
sean_v8_914
am I wrong here? should I bit the bullit and pay for the return shipping inthe hopes that a refund will come?

I wish I had phone transcripts from teh various calls that go with this email string. there are more emails I did not post here yet.
edwin
A big thanks to sean to posting your findings with this header.
I was seriously looking into getting one of these and am very hapy i waited.
I hope your posting this up doesnt harm your case for refund but you seem to have done all the right things and have been screwed.
Hope it goes well.
Edwin
nsr-jamie
Tangerine all the way for me!! Thats the way I want to go, but just can't afford it now, the exhaust cost more than my entire car when I bought it in the early 1990's, but from what I heard from others everybody seems really pleased. It would be incredible to see an awesome Tangerine exhaust kit go for around the $ 995 dollar mark if this is possible... chowtime.gif
ChrisFoley
You're wasting your time Sean.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jan 8 2011, 08:19 AM) *

Tangerine all the way for me!! Thats the way I want to go, but just can't afford it now, the exhaust cost more than my entire car when I bought it in the early 1990's, but from what I heard from others everybody seems really pleased. It would be incredible to see an awesome Tangerine exhaust kit go for around the $ 995 dollar mark if this is possible... chowtime.gif

I just priced up fabricating a custom exhaust for a (Porsche 993 bodied) mid-engined 6 cyl. race car at over $10K. shades.gif
The Tangerine EVO exhaust is a bargain at the current price. and is likely to get more expensive in the near future. If I can't earn a buck making them they won't be available to anyone. sad.gif

Why would the price you paid for the car almost 20 years ago have anything to do with how much you're willing to spend on premium performance parts for the car now? confused24.gif
URY914
Someone needs to pay this asshat a visit and talk to the guy in person.
SCV
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 8 2011, 09:15 AM) *

Someone needs to pay this asshat a visit and talk to the guy in person.

+1. Can't say I'm surprised, but they should pay return shipping for their product that was defective right out of the box.
sean_v8_914
I have seen what goes into making a custom exhaust like what Tangerine racing offers. I have installed Chris' header before on customer cars and saw bob butler make the headers for teh Herkilis twin turbo project. at the price foley sells it is a bargain and the dyno doesnt lie
r_towle
Sean,

What does the collector look like (pics) and are there any slip fittings on that OBX unit, or is that thing welded up solid and that far off?

Rich
sean_v8_914
the obx racing parts depot porsche 914 header has a slip fit collector. there are 2 major problems. the first is teh alignment of teh attachment tabs relative t the oval shape or the exhaust port. the clocking is off. wrong aproach angle to the head mounting flanges
jimkelly
i am sure there is a diff in price - but having header stubs has got to be a very valuable plus as the heads studs don't like to the FFFFed with too much.
914rat
Sean I agree with Chris you are wasting your time.The Chinese business culture is to deny all problems and make it up with cheap prices and exchanges.It appears from the email exchange you are dealing with someone from another culture.

Chris do you still sell the economy version of the Tangerine with the Magna Flow muffler?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(914rat @ Jan 8 2011, 11:52 AM) *

Chris do you still sell the economy version of the Tangerine with the Magna Flow muffler?

Yes.
Maltese Falcon
Sean, PM sent to you ...check it out . This may help with your satisfaction quest.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Sean, those are definitely counterfeits of our MSDS type 4 headers that we build for A/A. Am I impressed that they copied them ...absolutely not. When Weapon -R (OBX's buddies) counterfeited the MSDS V6 Ford shorty headers , we spent lots of cash in court to get a cease and desist. Same thing like your dilema: Good parts aren't cheap / and Cheap parts aren't good. Everyone that bought the fake V6 headers had dangerous exhaust leaks, egr's that didn't align, and countless "Fix-it" forums with Home Depot parts biggrin.gif
Go to any SEMA show and you will be amazed by how many creepy businesses are allowed into this organization, that prey upon their fellow members, at the blind eye of the SEMA directors. Hope you get satisfaction, it will take some doing.
Marty
patssle
QUOTE(DanT @ Jan 7 2011, 02:08 PM) *

I ran a version of the Euro Race headers that are also sold by Paragon Products...
Mine were ceramic coated inside and out, ran very well on my D-jetted 2056 biggrin.gif
4 into one collector...each individual header pipe is bolted up to a stub pipe and then into the collector...easy to mount and align that way.

I wish my Euro headers still looked that nice! Mine came with the car and have a ton of surface rust. Installed by a PO, probably about 5 years ago? I need to take them off and clean them up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.