Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery cable replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
I need to replace my + battery cable. It has a threaded lug on the terminal that holds some smaller wires. Haven't been able to find a cable with this feature so I need some advice on the best way to handle these connections. What are my options?

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
WE have the correct one, either just the terminal end or the complete wire down to the starter with the end on it.

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 5 2011, 12:43 PM) *

I need to replace my + battery cable. It has a threaded lug on the terminal that holds some smaller wires. Haven't been able to find a cable with this feature so I need some advice on the best way to handle these connections. What are my options?

Click to view attachment

KELTY360
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 5 2011, 11:48 AM) *

WE have the correct one, either just the terminal end or the complete wire down to the starter with the end on it.

Click to view attachment

I emailed through your online catalog last fall and was told that the cable AA sold did not have the lug as shown in the picture. Is that true? or, is the picture I posted not a correct part?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
No not the lug like that but the original German crimp on end with the exact same cinching bolt and the extra red wires attach under the nut, OR the collar of the cable end can be tapped. The problem with the ends out there is that they are a clamp on rather than a crimp on and look LIKE HELL when installed. This one does not.

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 5 2011, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 5 2011, 11:48 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I emailed through your online catalog last fall and was told that the cable AA sold did not have the lug as shown in the picture. Is that true? or, is the picture I posted not a correct part?

Tom_T
Marc, I think Jeff Bowlsby does them along with his other engine bay harnesses.
Shoot him a PM.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 5 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Shoot him a PM.

Thanks Tom.
kconway
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 5 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Shoot him a PM.

Nope, I asked Jeff about this as I needed one and he does not make the battery -> starter cable.

Kev
dflesburg
FLAPS.
realred914
wonder if there was more than one type on stock 914's I have a brass terminal on mine, with the lug for the small wires on the top rather than on the side as shown by the kelty guy

a larger ring terminal would allow putting the small wires on the clamping bolt, not stock, but usable.

so what type(s) of terminal was offered originally???????????????????

KELTY360
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jan 5 2011, 03:28 PM) *

wonder if there was more than one type on stock 914's I have a brass terminal on mine, with the lug for the small wires on the top rather than on the side as shown by the kelty guy

a larger ring terminal would allow putting the small wires on the clamping bolt, not stock, but usable.

so what type(s) of terminal was offered originally???????????????????

agree.gif I'm wondering the same thing.
914Sixer
The cable that is in the picture is no where close to stock. Some one has made yours up.
detoxcowboy
There are alot of choices for battery cable terminals, but you will have to make your own, usually buying a longer one than what your using and cutting off to lenght on terminal side you won't be using then install your chosen one, or if you have length on the one you have pictured, cut the head off, put another on if the rest of the cable is ok to you.. There are all kinds on line not just at your flaps or car audio installer.. ( gold plated, led digital voltage read out, and python stamped on it drooley.gif )

while your at it you could re-do the red wire terminals too, they look at bit exposed and haggard..

there are more but here is a start linky..

http://www.jcwhitney.com/battery-cables-an.../c921j1s17.jcwx
Drums66
....Just get it from George at AA confused24.gif
( or just more collusion?) poke.gif
bye1.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 5 2011, 04:12 PM) *

FLAPS.

agree.gif

I got one just like George is describing from my local Autozone.
detoxcowboy
Member Jeff Bowlsby has the factory cable that your looking for (used) in his parts for sale section of his website (linky) or here in member vendors section under wiring harnesses..

linky....

http://members.rennlist.com/914_canam/
bandjoey
Quick down and dirty easy. AutoZone Clamp. Bundle the accessory wires with a ring terminal, bolt them down to the clamp bolt. Sorry for the cell phone photo but you can see.
76-914
I separated mine out to improve future electrical diagnostics. (in my mind, anyway)
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Here's what the factory used. I'd love to be able to get a few.
KELTY360
You guys have given me lots of good ideas. I found some Bolt Extenders that look promising.

Battery Bolt Extenders
IronHillRestorations
That's what I've been putting on the ones I make, but the terminal is larger than M6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.