Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Levers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
I have a 71 1.7L and the Turn Signal is all broken to hell. Which Years are interchangeable with my year?

thanks

Frank
Rod
Whats up with it Frank?
falconfp2001
Haven't taken it apart yet but the Lever just hangs there like it is broken off the mounting ring. I'm looking to buy a used replacement but I've noticed the wiring is different for the pre 73 models. So, I'm wondering if I can use the 73-76 model lever?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Hi Frank. Some of the early vw through 68 fit and the 70-71 914 ones fit and also vw 311s fit.
72-74 914s are the same but do not fit the 71, and 75-76 are the same but do not fit the 71.

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Jan 5 2011, 02:35 PM) *

I have a 71 1.7L and the Turn Signal is all broken to hell. Which Years are interchangeable with my year?

thanks

Frank

falconfp2001
That would be awesome if a 68 bug fits. You know how cheap those are priced? I can find those for 40.00, reproductions. cool deal.

Thanks

Frank
Sleepin
The later model of switch can easily be modified to fit an earlier car. My Dad's '70 is running one now. So if you have a late model switch, just compare the two. IIRC the only thing you need to do is move some wires around. I modified Dad's a couple years ago. No sweat.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yes you are right but one would need to remove the two wire channels. cut off the lugs, heatshrink and extend the wires by color code, heat shrink and solder on the round connecting pins and then install! WAY too much trouble when the bug repro fits so well and is so cheap!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 5 2011, 03:57 PM) *

The later model of switch can easily be modified to fit an earlier car. My Dad's '70 is running one now. So if you have a late model switch, just compare the two. IIRC the only thing you need to do is move some wires around. I modified Dad's a couple years ago. No sweat.

falconfp2001
I checked the photos of a 71 Turn Signal Lever with the 68 Bug/Ghia and they are identical. Also found an original on ebay for a wopping 149.00, ouch.

So, I searched SoCal Imports web site and found the 68 bug/Ghia for 39.95, ad tax and shipping, 58.16, woooohoooo. What A Difference.

Thanks, let you know if it fits ok.

Frank
Sleepin
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 5 2011, 04:03 PM) *

WAY too much trouble when the bug repro fits so well and is so cheap!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 5 2011, 03:57 PM) *

Not if you have three late model switches sitting in your garage it is not. dumbass.gif
falconfp2001
I'm just starting my collection of Parts with a TailShift Tranny needing a rebuild.

Thanks guys
falconfp2001
I removed the Old Turn Signal Lever that was broken in several places. The only annoying thing about this was that the factory left no slack in any of the wiring, so I had to completely destroy the old lever to be able to clip the wires at the connection points. I then was able to pull the wires out from under the dash.

to my dismay, the area to feed the wires through the column was very tiny. Once completed I could match and splice.

I got the whole assembly mounted with the wheel in place and POW. Something broke.

It was a very tiny plastic piece holding the release spring in place. Couldn't believe my bad luck.

All of a sudden, I remember that the old Lever has the same parts and just maybe, wooohooo. It was intact.

Replaced the broken piece, attached the spring, took more care to mount and this time so as to not break the new lever.

Bingo, it works but not to my satisfaction. Canceling Ring doesn't work at all and the Flasher makes no noise at all. So, I sometimes forget I am not turning left anymore.

Oh well, at least I now have high beams and low beams.

Maybe I can replace the Flasher with one that makes a noise?

914Sixer
Flasher will make noise if it is working right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.