Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 993/914 engine wirning harness replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pcar916
Post 1 of 6
Turns out there are a few folks that want to see this. This started as a tangent to the "Which Engine is best, 3.2 or 3.6L?" thread. There is a voluntary factory recall on many of the 1995 and 1996 3.6L engine wiring harness' because of a bad formulation in the insulation. It turns into a crusty mess and can cause all kinds of issues.

In my case it was very bad missing when it rained and an increasingly bad idle. But in some cases folks have fried their alternators. If you had/have a new 993 then Porsche would have notified you based on your VIN, but in my case I just bought an engine so was never notified.

Here's the culprit.

Click to view attachment

Here's what happens at the alternator
Click to view attachment
pcar916

An injector branch... no wonder it was missing when it rained!
Click to view attachment

Here's the capacitor lead... talk about a major short if it had failed.
Click to view attachment
pcar916

Here's the main trunk. Lot's of ugliness in this cluster.
Click to view attachment

First, removing all of the stock 993 wires I don't need in my harness. Otherwise there would be German spaghetti all over my engine bay!
Click to view attachment
pcar916
Assuming the position...
Click to view attachment

Finding out I have to open the access hole to get the fan far enough forward to reach the lower alternator wire (ground).
Click to view attachment
pcar916

Don't even have to loosen the belt, just tilt it forward and back again after the new alternator wires are fastened, and yes. I see the leaky crankshaft oil seal issue!
Click to view attachment

Back together and threading the wires back to the starter and reverse-light switch on the transaxle.
Click to view attachment
pcar916
Now, to tidy up and look for any unattached... stuff.
Click to view attachment

All went well and thanks again Andy for letting me know about the recall, and JT914-6 for the pix. beerchug.gif
Woody
I've done bunches of those recalls. Good stuff. Warranty pays something like five hours.
JeffBowlsby
Merc Benz from 1993-95 had exactly the same issue, but they did not recall the affected products. It was fixed from the 1996 model yers going forward, I am told.

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jan 6 2011, 07:57 AM) *

Here's the main trunk. Lot's of ugliness in this cluster.
Click to view attachment

First, removing all of the stock 993 wires I don't need in my harness. Otherwise there would be German spaghetti all over my engine bay!
Click to view attachment

pcar916
I heard that Merc had stiffed their customers with this problem. That's a shame since there is no way to avoid replacing these harnesses on the effected cars. That would be the last Merc I ever bought.
Very interesting..thank you for the education.
Cap'n Krusty
Late 70s through early 90s Volvos had this problem, mostly 240s, but many 740s, too. Many 280Zs. MB has stiffed their customers on it, and Volvo, too, but the cars involved took a lot longer to have issues. Even worse is the tranny harness wicking ATF into the TCU on several MB models. Or the electric thermostat leaking and coolant wicking into the ECU on a number of BMW models. Both of the latter are major bucks.

The Cap'n
hot_shoe914
I had a '93 MB 300E, mine was beginning to have trouble and I was informed of the wiring harness problem. Got rid of the car but hated doing so as I loved the way it drove and ran. Was my second MB but most likely my last, who knows.
RON S.

Perry,
BTDT with mine. It raised it's ugly almost from the minute I started my car for the first time after it was road worthy.

When I tracked down the misfire I damned near set the car on fire when the Alternator wire ground out.
It was a great thing I had more than 1 battery quick disconnect switches installed on the teener.

replacing the factory harness was a snap, and I actually ended up with an extra one if anyone needs one.

you'll sleep easier now that the old harness is in the trash.

Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.