Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two basic wiring questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche4me
Two basic wiring questions : Building a race car from an empty shell - not one single wire in the car !!

#1 -- How many and Where do the wires from the alternator go ?? this is a very basic race car - no fancy electronics - it has Carbs and a pertronix Distrib.

#2 --- I have an Ignition switch next to a start button.... I know where the starter button wires go --- But where do I run the ignition "HOT" wire to and from ??? the + side of the coil - thru a fuse - to the + side of the battery ???

Thanks --- cant believe I could not find the answers to my dumb questions --- I guess I must be dumber than the normal race car builder ----
type47
This might get you close to your answer:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_74E.jpg

Mike Bellis
Alternator charge wire goes to the battery. use #6 copper or bigger.

you will need to power the + side of the coil with you "hot while cranking" switch position.
porsche4me
thanks - sorry the body is a 76 ---- the motor is a GA 2.0 liter --

-- But there is nothing from a street car left in the race shell --

- I bought a fused distribution block and one one gauge (a tach) --- the factory wire diagram does not help me too much as they run wires to things I don't have, need or want ---- I am looking for the most direct route --- thanks for your help
porsche4me

OK - any where else or is that it --- the atlernator has at least 3 wires coming out of it ----- do these cars have an internat voltage regulator ??

you will need to power the + side of the coil with you "hot while cranking" switch position.

Ok --- but then off after it starts ??? or hot all the time the engine is running???

thanks

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(porsche4me @ Jan 8 2011, 10:35 AM) *

OK - any where else or is that it --- the atlernator has at least 3 wires coming out of it ----- do these cars have an internat voltage regulator ??

Ok --- but then off after it starts ??? or hot all the time the engine is running???

thanks

Some alternators need a field signal. It usually is a lamp in the dash. One side of the lamp is connected to 12V and the other to the alternator. On some alternaters you also have a second wire that goes to the battery as Ref signal. You may have an external voltage regulator. Easiest would be to get a Chevy 1 wire alternator. You can go to the painless perfomance web site and find basic wiring diagrams for race cars.

The charge wire goes to the battery. A wire from the battery goes to your ignition switch. The hot while cranking wire is also hot with engine on. If you apply power to the + side of the coil and spin the engine, the engine will start (if Carburated). remove power from the + and the engine will stop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.