Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why painters are
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bulitt
We need a ScottyCam to check on his condition.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2013, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mr914 @ Jul 27 2013, 10:52 PM) *

Lets all take up a collection and get Scotty a bottle os single malt scotch. beer.gif

He'll be a happy camper for a day, till the supply house opens

av-943.gif

Nah, he is never really "happy". Only "less pissed off".

Thanks Eeoyre dry.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 28 2013, 07:21 AM) *

Painting is tough. Super In Law and I were talking about that yesterday while I'm painting a bumper for a 2000 Honda Accord for my son's girl friend.

Taking it from gold to dark green. Sand down the couple scrapes (plastic). Grab a can of U-Pol primer from the paint cabinet. Cover up the sanding work. Wet sand it smooth.
Shoot on the Deltron sealer. Gun is spitting a bit. I paint about once every two years. So that has to be wet sanded. After the fact. I run some solvent thru the gun to set the pattern and density. Dumbass

Then I shoot the coat of color, Deltron DBC. Man its a lot easier shooting a dark color. You can see it covering and laying down All my cars are white.
I'm telling myself tack coat, tack coat. Its going on real nice.
Then I see the reaction starting in a couple spots. Dammit ................ What did I do wrong THIS TIME? Its right in the spots where I applied the primer. Did I not let my cleaner flash off before I started shooting the paint? Dammit ................It was going on so nice.

Dumbass ............... remember that can of primer? It was weld thru primer that I put in the paint cabinet rather than out with the welding stuff. Rule number 1. Don't mix brands of paint systems. But my PPG paint store sell/pushes House of Color primer with the Deltron 2000. So being lazy on small jobs I use a spray can for primer. Usually SEM. But I liked the way the U-Pol clear coat laid down on my 911 rocker panels. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Now the question is. If it will wet sand out. Should give the bumper another coat of color and clear over it. Or will the primer gas thru the sealer, paint and buger up the clear?

That " no mixing brands of paint " is way overblown IMO. Yeah there can be issues, but more often than not, if you know and understand the chemistry, it can be done without issue. The real issuie is mixinf TYPES of paint, not brands. The problem you had is with the chemicals in the weld through reacting with the base. My reaction would be to sand it ALL off and start over. I'd be concerned about the weld primer coming back later when the sun gets the bumper good and hot
cary
sad.gif That's what I thought you'd be saying. The question is, why didn't it react to the sealer?
I had 80 degrees. I gave it the correct time off the spec sheet before I sanded.
One would think it would come thru the sealer too.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 28 2013, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 27 2013, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mr914 @ Jul 27 2013, 10:52 PM) *

Lets all take up a collection and get Scotty a bottle os single malt scotch. beer.gif

He'll be a happy camper for a day, till the supply house opens

av-943.gif

Nah, he is never really "happy". Only "less pissed off".

Thanks Eeoyre dry.gif

grouphug.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 28 2013, 01:22 PM) *

sad.gif That's what I thought you'd be saying. The question is, why didn't it react to the sealer?
I had 80 degrees. I gave it the correct time off the spec sheet before I sanded.
One would think it would come thru the sealer too.

I honestly can't give you the scientific reason just the laymans reason. The top layer is the wet one that creates the reaction by reactivating the previous layer. I would ASSUME, that since the previous coat has setup, it is a " path of least resistance " kind of thing. confused24.gif Rick may be able to offer more insight
ChrisFoley
I'd be willing to bet the solvent in the sealer isn't as "hot" as the solvent in the top coat.
scotty b
part Deux..... dry.gif

The owner of this BMW wanted the Alpina stripes under the clear. No problem

8:00 a.m. Wednesday morning

Tape car, spray base color, mask top half of car, spray lower with intercoat clear which protects the base color from any issues when working on top of it. This is common practice with the airbrush guys that need to layer paints.

Now the fun begins.

2:30 p.m.
I pulled the decal kit out of the box and instead of one long continuous decal ( like any sane company would do ) I find a bunch of sections that have to be individually cut out, then lined up on the car and applied. PITA but o.k. I'm game. I SHOULD have stopped right here knowing damn good and well the splices would look like ass, but I convinced myself I could make it look good dry.gif

6:30 p.m.
4.5 hours later the drivers side is done and yep....it looks like shit where the splices are. I take pics call the owner we discuss the options and he decides he wants me to pull the decals off and paint the stripes on. It is now.....

9:30 p.m.
pulled the decals off, in several spots they also pulled the intercoat and base coat off as well, I wet sand those out to a nice feathered edge and proceed with taping off the lines.

11:00 p.m.
barely can keep eyes open, back killing me, bed time
scotty b
7:30, Thursday morning

walk back into the booth, proceed with taping off the passengers side

11:30

dry spray multiple coats of the silver for the stripes so as to not take any chances with the fresh solvents reacting with the intercoat or base for the previous day

1:00 lunch

2:00-ish

unmask the car, repair a couple spots in the blue where it got scratched during all this other B.S.

3:30

wipe down and begin to clear coat.....NOW........... I specifically asked the girl at the paint shop if I would have a color change issue with the intercoat since I was only spraying it on the bottom half of the car ( see where this is going ? mad.gif ) She said nope, it is just clear that doesn't use a hardener so there aren't solvents to get trapped. Obviously when you clear you get a little color change which can be seen in the pics, but theorectically I should put regular clear over the intercoat and it will all look the same( see where this is going ? mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif )
scotty b
SOoooooo

14 hours in the booth Wed - a 2 hour trip to Lowes for a spray bottle and lunch.

11 hours yesterday - 1 hour for lunch while the silver setup

Now the car has to sit around for a week while the paint sets up, just so I can wet sand and re-shoot the bottom half again so the color is uniform. This time on my dime. And to top it all off, my employee quit last week. Seems he can't deal with this type work anymore, and wants an easier job dry.gif
jor
It may be hell for you, but WOW, that car is going to look good when you're done!
Cairo94507
Oh no.... that is not good.
sean_v8_914
i just read this thread.Rick, that binks pot would get me strung up by my toes in cali
Dr Evil
Hey Scotty, I know you are busy, but I have a few things I want you to do to my car right now. Can you draw little smiley faces, by hand, all over the car, in multiple colors, by hand, then use three different clears and some different bases. Can you do that and make it uniform??? That would be great. headbang.gif pain30.gif 051103-stupid4.gif clown2.gif whack_3.gif hide.gif
Rob-O
Nothing worse than the paint shop fuching you...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.