Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why painters are
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scotty b
So here I sit at the shop. dry.gif I should have been gone 2 hours ago BUT I put a coat of sealer on a car so I could put the color on and what happens ????? I strain it through 2 strainers at once, and I still get chunks of pigment coming out of the gun. Now the sealer must set up so I can go around the whole f-in car and wet sand the chunks out. THEN I can put the color on. Looks like a 11:00 night headbang.gif

Just so you know why painters are such dicks

Carry on
r_towle
Its all about what you inhale.

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 8 2011, 05:00 PM) *

Its all about what you inhale.

Rich

If only Slits or Joe were here, I might be in a better mood sad.gif Or some hot tang sheeplove.gif

Oops there I go being juvenile again rolleyes.gif
messix
clean your fuchin gun better ya pansy! slap.gif
quadracerx
Nuthin' wrong with hot Tang...

Good luck...a little rum makes the sanding go faster...Cheers...

Steve
rick 918-S
Sealer is hot. Sounds like it loosened something dried inside the gun. Are you using one of those new fangled guns with those stupid cups above your hand?

Number one place a shop looses money is in the paint department. dry.gif Sux!
scotty b
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 8 2011, 05:28 PM) *

Sealer is hot. Sounds like it loosened something dried inside the gun. Are you using one of those new fangled guns with those stupid cups above your hand?

No, not in the gun. I'm pretty anal about cleaning them. I have 5 Satas, too much money invested to not take care of. The stariners were full of chunks. I was running low on grey so I tossed in some old red I had left over. I should have stopped when I saw the chunks in the strainer, but I figured none could have gone through 2 strainers............ dry.gif WRONG !! My fault. I just need to get this one done and tomorrow is Sunday so no suppliers are open. Just another late night. Good thing I have no life huh ? laugh.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 8 2011, 07:39 PM) *

No, not in the gun. I'm pretty anal about cleaning them. I have 5 Satas, too much money invested to not take care of. The stariners were full of chunks. I was running low on grey so I tossed in some old red I had left over. I should have stopped when I saw the chunks in the strainer, but I figured none could have gone through 2 strainers............ dry.gif WRONG !! My fault. I just need to get this one done and tomorrow is Sunday so no suppliers are open. Just another late night. Good thing I have no life huh ? laugh.gif

Oh, Ya, The old sealer.. like fine sand on the car.. dry.gif BTDT! I'm old school. Binks model 21 and 18. No fancy shmancy Sata guns for me. I still have a box of those trapper brass screens for the siphon tube.
scotty b
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 8 2011, 05:46 PM) *

Oh, Ya, The old sealer.. like fine sand on the car.. dry.gif BTDT! I'm old school. Binks model 21 and 18. No fancy shmancy Sata guns for me. I still have a box of those trapper brass screens for the siphon tube.

slits.gif Binks 18 huh ? poke.gif av-943.gif

the best part is there are about 4 people that have a clue what we are talking about laugh.gif

rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 8 2011, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 8 2011, 05:46 PM) *

slits.gif Binks 18 huh ? poke.gif av-943.gif

the best part is there are about 4 people that have a clue what we are talking about laugh.gif

I purchased that gun 35 yrs ago. I've paint hundreds of cars with it.
sww914
The rule of paint, even if it's almost impossible but it's bad, it WILL happen.
I don't spray anything anymore. I pay the hotshot kid up at the bodyshop in front of my shop to do it. He's nearly as good as I was. Nearly, says the grumpy old man.
[BTW, thanks for the reminder! I just found an old can of sealer today and though I'd probably use it soon. That would have been a mistake.]
scotty b
2 coats of color on now. My first time with PPG's shop line. Damn that stuff is thin unsure.gif
curt914
Not to hijack the thread, but at one point a short while back I was going to post here on the World and ask:

Who is the scottyb of the west coast, the central coast to be more precise (thats where I live).

One of these days my 914 is going to need a bit of body work and paint and I can't drive it back east to get it into his shop... much as I'd like to .

But by this thread, it looks like sww914 might know of someone here on the central coast.

Any other reccomendations? I should ask the Cap'n too.

Have a great weekend biggrin.gif

Curt
scotty b
I don't know Cali that well to know where exactly you are, But McMark is one of us and does some fine work. He even has one of those fancy shmancy linky thingys above this post I think. smile.gif
d914
from doing the body work and painting on my car,,,, and mine is easy....I have no Idea how you stay sane.... All I do is create alot of dust!!!
scotty b
QUOTE(d914 @ Jan 8 2011, 07:12 PM) *

from doing the body work and painting on my car,,,, and mine is easy....I have no Idea how you stay sane.... All I do is create alot of dust!!!

Well your first mistake is you assume I am sane
hot_shoe914
I never really thought of you as moody.
sww914
The Cap'n might have somebody in Santa Maria but I doubt it, he's sent me some of that type of work in the past. I can probably help you find the right shop, let's see what you need. I'm kind of overbooked right now. You can pm me so we don't take over this thread.
scotty b
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 8 2011, 07:44 PM) *

I never really thought of you as moody.

Just a prick right ? sad.gif

4 coats on now. I'm gonna hope that's enough. With Nason I would stop here but this stuff seems a bit thinner. After the first coat " learning " experience, I think I got it down. Ther's been a bit of a shake up here with the shop I usually dela with, and it looks like I may not be able to get Spies anymore dry.gif Some Canadian conglomeration is buying up all the local shops and firing the existing employees. Thanks Canuks bootyshake.gif I'm loyal to Spies, but I'm more loyal to my friends there. They now are at a PPG only shop, and I'm actually sold on PPG, it seems to be the American version of Spies.The other shop this company bought was the only Glasurit dealer in town too headbang.gif I have a standby out of town for those who still want Spies,Glasurit, or Standox until the Mapleleafs buy them too poke.gif
scotty b
T.O.D. called at 11:12....I was 12 minutes off. confused24.gif Still have the trunk lids and headlight parts to do tomorrow. Later skaterzzzzzzzzzzzz
r_towle
moody prick
scotty b
bite me towlie
Dr Evil
Moody prick smile.gif
KELTY360
popcorn[1].gif
J P Stein
While stripping & painting just one car, my IQ dropped 10-20 points, I'd guess, and there weren't that many points to start out. wacko.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-aut...-we-got-em.html

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.
scotty b
Upadate to this thread by sunday dry.gif ...... dry.gif ................... dry.gif dry.gif
Andyrew
Same car???
BajaXJ92
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 8 2011, 11:53 PM) *

bite me towlie

av-943.gif

We've been struggling a bit with painting problems up here too, but not with old materials.
Humidity has been one of our biggest headaches.
Another one is learning to adjust the mixture to lay out better with our equipment, instead of following the mfr recipe to the letter.
When I ask my favorite counterperson at the store he tells us something completely different than what's on the data sheets.
Oh, and since I don't hold the gun myself, getting the operator to learn from his mistakes has been a bit troublesome too. rolleyes.gif

I totally agree with Rick's comment about profitability in the paint department.
Since I wasn't getting any satisfaction from the local paint shops we brought the work in-house.
Now I'm losing money and looking no better in the customers' eyes. headbang.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(curt914 @ Jan 8 2011, 06:57 PM) *

Not to hijack the thread, but at one point a short while back I was going to post here on the World and ask:

Who is the scottyb of the west coast, the central coast to be more precise (thats where I live).

One of these days my 914 is going to need a bit of body work and paint and I can't drive it back east to get it into his shop... much as I'd like to .

But by this thread, it looks like sww914 might know of someone here on the central coast.

Any other reccomendations? I should ask the Cap'n too.

Have a great weekend biggrin.gif

Curt

I'd guess one of two people to be the ScottyB of the West Coast/Central Coast area. In Palo Alto, Scott Yeaman (search Yeaman here to see his work). Up by McMark, we have Mark's friend since childhood, Brendan Pensarini. His shop does a lot of street rods that are amazing.
McMark is waiting for ScottyB or Rick to move out before he gets a paint booth. He only does rust repair and flare installs for now...
r_towle
Scotty needs to get laid, simple.
Foley needs to smoke more then the paint will flow
McMark needs to start painting already.
I Know what blinks guns are, and I still have one smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Moody prick.
r_towle
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2013, 10:45 AM) *

Moody prick.

Pot, meet kettle
Eric_Shea
ohmy.gif. Oh no you didn't!
sean_v8_914
same story only fish eye in single stage..fuch!
Dr Evil
Ooo, I wonder WHICH story Scooter will share with us. There are so many.....dry.gif

Poor bastard grouphug.gif
MDG
Mod pickle.
Elliot Cannon
My first try at painting leads me to believe if you weren't a moody prick before you started painting cars, it will certainly make you one. headbang.gif av-943.gif
scotty b
So I painted this 356 last friday night. Finished it up early saturday morning. When I walked out of the booth it was almost perfect. Orange peel right where I wanted it ( owner wanted an original finish ) Except for some trash and one small sag on the underside of the nose, it was ready to reassemble. smile.gif

Monday : I go in the booth all happy and ready to get this thing sanded a buffed so I can stat putting the headliner in. As I'm working my way around it I see some odd looking trash that wasn't in it when I left saturday huh.gif

Anyhoo, I started to wet sand all this crap ( it was a small area but a lot of spots in it) sand sand sand.....still there huh.gif sand sand sand........still there dry.gif sand sand sand, there goes the clear right into the base....still there. This isn't making any sense, so I stick my thumbnail right in the center of one of them and it collapses mad.gif They were all gas bubbles under the base coat. No idea why this happened as I ghave it plenty of time to setup.

So now, I have to sand the whole car down, untape it, retape it and repaint it all because of this little spot<_<

What really pisses me off, is that in all the painting I have done, this is the FIRST time I have had solvent pop mad.gif
r_towle
That would piss me off....
Drums66
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 27 2013, 03:18 PM) *

So I painted this 356 last friday night. Finished it up early saturday morning. When I walked out of the booth it was almost perfect. Orange peel right where I wanted it ( owner wanted an original finish ) Except for some trash and one small sag on the underside of the nose, it was ready to reassemble. smile.gif

Monday : I go in the booth all happy and ready to get this thing sanded a buffed so I can stat putting the headliner in. As I'm working my way around it I see some odd looking trash that wasn't in it when I left saturday huh.gif

Anyhoo, I started to wet sand all this crap ( it was a small area but a lot of spots in it) sand sand sand.....still there huh.gif sand sand sand........still there dry.gif sand sand sand, there goes the clear right into the base....still there. This isn't making any sense, so I stick my thumbnail right in the center of one of them and it collapses mad.gif They were all gas bubbles under the base coat. No idea why this happened as I ghave it plenty of time to setup.

So now, I have to sand the whole car down, untape it, retape it and repaint it all because of this little spot<_<

What really pisses me off, is that in all the painting I have done, this is the FIRST time I have had solvent pop mad.gif

......You fish-eyed fool!!
idea.gif bye1.gif(Fuch-nut)
JmuRiz
Oh crap, that sucks.
rick 918-S
Is this the car you had sealer issues with? Possible that when you wet sanded the sealer you had moisture penetrate and get trapped. How far down into the application layers did it go?

What product line are you using?

These are things that are never 100% avoidable. That's why paint jobs cost so much. Shit happens that you can not let out of the shop until it perfect.

I did a marathon paint job on a 427 Cobra once. My shop manager and I didn't go home for 3 days. We took turns sleeping in my office an hour here and an hour there. I was painting over a botched Centari 2000 paint job done at another shop a month before it came to us. I never do this. But I was assured by our DuPont rep. we could get away with re-coat sealer. Paint was down, stripes were on, Clear was perfect-perfect. I was baking the car with a Sunkist lamp. I was moving the lamp when I caught a crack in the floor and swung the head of the lamp into the fresh paint on one of the doors I had hanging in the booth. Put a nice imprint of the wire grille on the front of the lamp in the clear coat at 4:00am on a sunday morning. headbang.gif I had a spit hit of paint left. Barely enough for the gun to siphon. I baked the door, wet sanded it out and re-sprayed it. With a sigh of relief I told my shop manager to get the lamp on the door and were done. I here this OH SHIT! come from the booth. I a moment of panic I darted into the booth only to see my shop manager laughing his ass off at me. He say's Syc!
scotty b
I'm so brain dead from the last 2 weeks, I don't remember what the sealer issue was at this point. wacko.gif

I used Deltron on this start to finish. The ONLY thing I can come up with is I sealed the car before basing it, and since this was on the door edge, it got hit with sealer from 2 different angles so would have been heavier then the rest of the car. Super high humidity even at night that night so I'm guessing it just didn't completely flash off right there confused24.gif
mr914
Lets all take up a collection and get Scotty a bottle os single malt scotch. beer.gif

He'll be a happy camper for a day, till the supply house opens

av-943.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mr914 @ Jul 27 2013, 10:52 PM) *

Lets all take up a collection and get Scotty a bottle os single malt scotch. beer.gif

He'll be a happy camper for a day, till the supply house opens

av-943.gif

Nah, he is never really "happy". Only "less pissed off".
zambezi
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 27 2013, 07:01 PM) *

I'm so brain dead from the last 2 weeks, I don't remember what the sealer issue was at this point. wacko.gif

I used Deltron on this start to finish. The ONLY thing I can come up with is I sealed the car before basing it, and since this was on the door edge, it got hit with sealer from 2 different angles so would have been heavier then the rest of the car. Super high humidity even at night that night so I'm guessing it just didn't completely flash off right there confused24.gif

Based on the location of the bubbles, could it be a reaction with some of the original lead at the door edge. I've seen it before on 356's.
zymurgist
Ugh. sad.gif
Cairo94507
Scott- I am really sorry to see that happen after all the work I know you put into that car.
cary
Painting is tough. Super In Law and I were talking about that yesterday while I'm painting a bumper for a 2000 Honda Accord for my son's girl friend.

Taking it from gold to dark green. Sand down the couple scrapes (plastic). Grab a can of U-Pol primer from the paint cabinet. Cover up the sanding work. Wet sand it smooth.
Shoot on the Deltron sealer. Gun is spitting a bit. I paint about once every two years. So that has to be wet sanded. After the fact. I run some solvent thru the gun to set the pattern and density. Dumbass

Then I shoot the coat of color, Deltron DBC. Man its a lot easier shooting a dark color. You can see it covering and laying down All my cars are white.
I'm telling myself tack coat, tack coat. Its going on real nice.
Then I see the reaction starting in a couple spots. Dammit ................ What did I do wrong THIS TIME? Its right in the spots where I applied the primer. Did I not let my cleaner flash off before I started shooting the paint? Dammit ................It was going on so nice.

Dumbass ............... remember that can of primer? It was weld thru primer that I put in the paint cabinet rather than out with the welding stuff. Rule number 1. Don't mix brands of paint systems. But my PPG paint store sell/pushes House of Color primer with the Deltron 2000. So being lazy on small jobs I use a spray can for primer. Usually SEM. But I liked the way the U-Pol clear coat laid down on my 911 rocker panels. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Now the question is. If it will wet sand out. Should give the bumper another coat of color and clear over it. Or will the primer gas thru the sealer, paint and buger up the clear?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.