Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did Porsche make Auto G50?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
Here is the deal.

I am looking for a Transaxle like the G50 but need an automatic.

Need to have a really long shift cable and a column shifter in a mid engined rear wheel drive hot rod my friend is making.

TheCabinetmaker
Hot rod? Automatic? huh.gif
messix
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 9 2011, 07:43 AM) *

Here is the deal.

Need to have a really long shift cable and a column shifter in a mid engined rear wheel drive hot rod my friend is making.

corvette
computers4kids
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 9 2011, 07:43 AM) *

Here is the deal.

Why is a column shifter a requirement?
IronHillRestorations
There's too many electronic components required for any of the Porsche Tiptronic transmissions, so that's off the table. By the time you got done putting one in a 914 you'd be better off just getting a Tip Boxster.
Mike Bellis
Get one from an Audi 5000 Front Wheel drive. No electronics needed.
Steve
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 9 2011, 12:36 PM) *

3 Speed auto?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 9 2011, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 9 2011, 12:36 PM) *

3 Speed auto?

yep. Layout looks similar to a 901.
Dr Evil
Why not a trans out of a 70s car like a Torino or caddilac ? Arent those front wheel drive and take V8s?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 9 2011, 05:53 PM) *

Why not a trans out of a 70s car like a Torino or caddilac ? Arent those front wheel drive and take V8s?

They mount them sideways. Just don't look as cool with a crooked engine.
Dr Evil
I didnt know they were sideways, learn something new every day.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 9 2011, 06:08 PM) *

I didnt know they were sideways, learn something new every day.

I think we're supposed to call it "transverse" but there is way to much talk about trannies and pink 914's around here.
dflesburg
no we are off track here....

The project is...

Mid engine V8 in a VW Bus...

Trying to work out how to use a Corvette motor with a transaxle like a vett but the transaxle needs to be as close as possible to the motor...

Column shifter is not manditory. We could mount a floor shifter.

Automatic is preferred due to avoiding rigging a clutch and shift linkage.

Andyrew
Get one of the newer 5 speed audi FWD trani's. Found in Passat v6's and audi fwd's.
r_towle
928 tranny...plentiful.
Kennedy has adapter parts already made up....
944 also...
In the bus, you have enough length to do it and just shorten the torsion tube and shaft.
Rich
Mike Bellis
A side shift 901 Trans from a 914 would be easy to rig. Use some pillow blocks and u-joints for the shift rod. The tranny already has a pulley for the clutch. You just need a longer cable.

If you want to go Audi auto, search for the 914 auto thread by Computers4Kids (spelling). He bought a converted car from SoCal. The 1999-2001 VW Passat also has an auto that will fit. A 2wd version of the same tranny can also be found in many Audi's. Make it real easy and buy an wrecked Audi V8 or v6 Turbo and use that engine/tranny/computers in the bus.
Jacob
The "Unitized Power Package" (UPP) was used in first, second and third generation Toronados (1966-1985) and was a longitudinal arrangement. The "sideways" mounted drive trains did not appear until the 1986 model
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Re-gear a power glide from a corvair. I have the corvair engine and auto in my bus. Link below in my sig. The main issue will be the rotation. The corvair one will turn the opposite way, any one that normally is installed behind an engine will turn in revers if placed ahead of the engine like in the bus.
jaxdream
QUOTE(Jacob @ Jan 9 2011, 06:44 PM) *

The "Unitized Power Package" (UPP) was used in first, second and third generation Toronados (1966-1985) and was a longitudinal arrangement. The "sideways" mounted drive trains did not appear until the 1986 model
Click to view attachment

Yep , and they weigh around 385 LBS with tourque converter , axles , no fluid. I got one years ago , weighed on the scales at where I worked , they be HEAVY !!

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.