Full Version: Fixing the Sixes...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
The new quarter has been picked clean. Ready for the install tomorrow. Thursday the door sill and jacking donut will go on and that should finish the metal work portion of the project.
Brad Roberts
Glad it made it Eric. I was worried about UPS, but it was the fastest way we could get it to you.

B
Eric_Shea
UPS worked great. I didn't think they'd take it. I was by there this AM and he's really got it cleaned up nice . It should be on by now. I'm going to head out and get some more shots.
aircooledboy
When I was younger, I used to fantasize about being a rock star. Now that I am a 914 nut, and see pictures like these, I fantasize about being able to do amazing body work like you got goin on here. clap56.gif pray.gif
What an fantastic job this guy is doing. Thanks for taking us along for the ride with the pictures. aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
Funny... I wanted to be a rock star too. aktion035.gif

Here's some more pics. It's on.

Hey Brad, I sure am glad you guys painted that "for sale" on there... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
another view... you can see the trunk sand blasting through the tail light housing hole. Wanted to leave the original "goop" in place.
Eric_Shea
The factory seam was a little rough on the quarter panel. He seamed it along the bumper line.
Eric_Shea
Here's the jamb area awaiting my door sill... <_<
Eric_Shea
Here's the sail panel...
Gint
Eric, will this work?

Outside
Gint
Inside
Eric_Shea
Gint:

Thanks! That oughta do it! That will be cut and trimmed for the GT project. I just got the fenders back from the sandblaster. They look to be M471 factory installed. The finish work is "IMPECCABLE". It even had metal flare extensions on the outer rockers. I'll have to post some pics and see if Brad still has a line on a local M471 to check it out.

All the metal is on the stock 6er so this week we'll get into paint prep. Should be soon.

Did you tie up with Timo while over there?
Gint
Did you tie up with Timo while over there?

Nope. I was only there for three weekdays. I figured Timo would have to work, and I needed to spend the eves with my wife when she was finished with work. As it worked out, I hoofed my ass off and didn't really have much in the way pf spare time any way.
Eric_Shea
So... are you back?

Let me know how you want to handle payment and shipping.

Thanks!

E.
Eric_Shea
Here's a few shots from last week. The metal work is now complete. He spend the remainder of the week adjusting and fine tuning all the body panels. Eye brows, hoods and doors all line up perfectly. This coming week should be final body prep and paint! Then comes the fun part... putting it back together!

Anyone on the list know how to put one of these things together? biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
last of the metal work biggrin.gif

This shot shows so much. The rear quarter, the inner wheel housing piece, the jacking donut, the inner longitudinal, the jack post and the door sill. Looking back it's hard to believe it went this far...
seanery
looks great Eric!
Aaron Cox
agree.gif

great! welder.gif
Eric_Shea
Had one coat of primer on and sanded off this AM. The second coat was applied today. More pics tomorrow...
Eric_Shea
nuther
Eric_Shea
last one today...
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
nuther...
Eric_Shea
To bring you all up to speed. Paint is on. It's back home and the assembly process begins. Here's some color coat shots.
Eric_Shea
Nuther...
Eric_Shea
Those were the color sanding phases. It's done now and I began with the front valance area. The horns are still being restored (platers) so the bumper will have to wait. Fogs are on...
Eric_Shea
I had a few of the original screws so I got the valance started. Without the horns I had to move to the back after this.
vortrex
has to be the quickest body resto ever on a 914, and not an easy one either. how did you find such a body man?
Eric_Shea
The rear is nearly complete. I need to install the trunk latch today and that should do it.
Eric_Shea
Engine lid was next...
Eric_Shea
Both door handles are on... next will be the door panels. I spent 1 hour cleaning overspray from the "previous" paint job off the handles and corresponding seals/gaskets. Lubed everything with graphite. (careful... exciting picture to follow) <_<
Eric_Shea
has to be the quickest body resto ever on a 914, and not an easy one either. how did you find such a body man?

Literally got lucky. Earlier up in the post I mentioned the chance meeting. He's a neighbor and I kept seeing all of these exotics in front of his home/shop. I stopped in to see if they could weld some flares on my 911RS and saw a vintage Jag on the Rotisserie (sic... never could spell that one). I checked their welds and metal work and I was hooked. They also do stunning paint. They got a "Peoples Choice" on a Jag at Nationals. They get downgraded on their paint by the official judges because it's too good... bummer! w00t.gif
Carrera916
My goodness, Eric!

It sure looks so good and I've been a body man for very long time...yes, he is indeed quick and good on your car!

Maybe I missed the post somewhere but I haven't see or know if the engine compartment area is also in decent shape? Especially beneath the battery tray where there's tend to be a common rusted out holes down there....that leads into longitdual rust problem.....was that area okay?

Neat looking car you got, Eric! clap56.gif

Jerry
Eric_Shea
Thanks Jerry,

The engine compartment is original and fairly clean. The hell holes are in good shape. I would have liked to do a full resto, meaning, strip dip and rip but the interior was in excellent original condition and everything else seemed fine. I'll do the underside as I progress. When it gets some down time I'll strip all the wheel wells and restore the suspension. I'll probably get a shock update at that time but this car will stay all original. I plan on cleaning the engine compartment as I go along too.
StratPlayer
Wow Eric that car is coming along just beautifully, maybe some day we can hook up and I can pick your brain about the guy that painted your car. The last step for my car is the paint, maybe this fall I will get it done, right now I'm just enjoying the car as much as I can. Looking forward to seeing your car.

smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
Any time... I'm here in Sandy (108 S., 2045 E.). He's only a few blocks away. We could go chat with him.
Gint
Looks great Eric. Base/clear or single stage?
Eric_Shea
Awesome new single stage. Less areas to go wrong. I can't believe it... I've never seen a 914 so straight and shiney... at least not in my garage!! laugh.gif

I'm gonna have to go out and put a few scratches inher to make it feel more "homey"
Eric_Shea
Getting near the end... finaly got the horn bits and pieces back from the platers today. Bolted them back together and on the front of the car. Now I can install the front bumper!
Eric_Shea
Bumper needs to be polished and the installed.

Got my sail panel kit today. Any step-by-steps on that?
Eric_Shea
Well... after our little fuel pump fun today, the six is back. All it needs is a thorough clean up and a full tank of gas. Thanks for all the comments from those who followed along. Here's the last bit of the restoration thread... the grand finale:
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
nuther...
Eric_Shea
guess who...
Eric_Shea
canary yellow...
Eric_Shea
The last shot mirrors the very first post in this thread. Before and after.
echocanyons
Nice job and a quick turn around!
smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.