Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixing the Sixes...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Eric_Shea
Well, I said good-bye to her this morning. Keep us in your prayers. The sixer left for the full monte. Many thanks to this list. I was able to get all the parts I needed (and I may need more... stay tuned).

She get's stripped tonight and tomorrow and then the metal work begins. I purchased this one from the original owner. It was delivered to Dave Strong Porsche Audi here in Salt Lake City. The owner was a retired police officer and his wife drove the car back and forth to work mostly. Everything is dead original and will stay that way.

Here's some pics as she left this morning:
Eric_Shea
Stripe goes bye-bye as it was not original equipment (sorry Z).
Levi
Good luck...have Fun and by all means keep us posted with pictures clap56.gif
Eric_Shea
Update
Eric_Shea
Found a few of those braised patch jobs. All coming out... a couple are visable here. One at the front of the sail panel and one at the rear.
Joe Bob
Concour Weenie Candidate? unsure.gif
Eric_Shea
Here's the famous longitudinal yesterday...
Eric_Shea
Here it is today...
Eric_Shea
The guy who is doing it won the Jaguar nationals so it might be a CW car... no wing though biggrin.gif

Oh... and I'll drive it.

More photos... here's the passengers sail panel yesterday;
Eric_Shea
oops... pic
Eric_Shea
Front fender off
Eric_Shea
Currently looking at sourcing a complete rear quarter for the passengers side. Looking for new but may have to go with a donor. Brad's on it.

It will need a door jam. That rear quarter. The entire longitudinal to the front. A partial of the inner wheel well. Front passengers fender and all those patches fixed. Most of the metal is in-house with the exception of the rear quarter/door jam piece.

TTFN
Gint
Currently looking at sourcing a complete rear quarter for the passengers side.
biggrin.gif

My donor left 1/4 is already in CA. But I do have a brand spankin new jam piece. I'll have to check if it's left or right. Want it?
Gint
Labels indicate a right side unit.
Rusty
Wow... you DA'd the panels down?

That takes a graceful touch. I have a good DA, but I'm always worried that I'm going to warp the panel with too much heat... therefore, I chemical strip.

Looks like the project is coming along nicely.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Gint
I don't think all of that paint wasn't removed with a DA. That would have taken forever. There are far better alternatives these days that work great. Se my rusto thread. I posted a pic of the 3M stripping wheels I used. Fantastic product. Especially if you can get the 7" equivalents.
Eric_Shea
Gint - Yes! Thank you. How mooch? Actually, I need to see if I can get it with the entire quarter first. I'll get you a real answer today. Shoot me a price in the mean time.

Rusty - It was all done with a DA. That's Troy's preferred method. It only took him a few hours. 36 grit at very slow RPM wink.gif
Gint
Gint - Yes! Thank you. How mooch? Actually, I need to see if I can get it with the entire quarter first. I'll get you a real answer today. Shoot me a price in the mean time.

Hey, you know how my pricing works. Shoot me a fair offer and I'll more than likely accept it. No idea what it's worth, never looked. Still need the engine bulkhead patch piece for an inspection cover? I could probably get out there this weekend and cut it.

Rusty - It was all done with a DA. That's Troy's preferred method. It only took him a few hours. 36 grit at very slow RPM

No shit. Ask him what he thinks about the 3M stripping pads. IMHO, they are much more efficient at removing paint, generate less heat, and don't have to used quite as slowly as 36 grit paper.
Eric_Shea
Thanks Gint,

Let me find out where I stand with the other metal and I'll get back with you. And, yes. I'll still need that piece for the GT engine access.

Thanks again,
brant
Eric

your supposed to make that cover out of aluminum ya know..... (well maybe not for a show car)

brant (with a fancy new avatar)
Targa
Can't wait to see the finished product. She'll be close-up perty in no time. Keep'em coming. burnout.gif
krk
Eric,

Looks like a great project! Seeing project pics always helps me get off my butt and head to the garage! laugh.gif Best of luck!

kim.
Eric_Shea
Here's a couple of Longitudinal pics. Brad... I need that metal bad!! biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
You can see the outer longitudinal on the ground... pics are similar.
Gint
Your guy isn't wasting any time. Keep the pics comin Eric.
Joe Bob
Hey Eric....415PB has my brother's 914 in Palm Desert and is cutting it up.....might want to contact him.....
Eric_Shea
Your guy isn't wasting any time

No shit... in fact, he's got the longitudinal welded on. He'd have the inner wheel housing done but he ran out of gas last night.

Inner wheel housing and front fender go back on today. I'll follow up later tonight with pics.

Z... thanks. (for both the offer and the TREMENDOUS ass shot in the avatar... DAMN... I wanna bite that thang!!). I think Brad's getting the whole lot together and putting it on a truck TODAY! (right Brad?) wink.gif Actually, Troy has enough patch work to keep himself busy for a few more days but then it's rear quarter time.

Film at 11:00
Eric_Shea
Gint,

I think I've got the door jam coming with the quarter.

Many Thanks for the offer!

beerchug.gif
Gint
Whatever works. what's the timeline for the access piece? I don't think I'm goig to need it. I'll know for sure as soon as the tub gets picked up from the dipper.
Eric_Shea
no hurry... I want to finish the 911RS and the 914-6 before I go headlong into the GT. I'm just collecting parts. Whatever's convenient for you.

Thanks,

E.
Gint
Cool. Lots of travel in the next 4 weeks. I'm looking at Memorial weekend for the tub surgery.
Eric_Shea
Weekend update
Eric_Shea
nuther...
Eric_Shea
jackpost
Eric_Shea
last one for today...
Eric Taylor
Dam! That guy is really going to town, it's gona be in the booth next week at this rate!
Eric
Rusty
Who's doing the work, Eric? Is it someone on the board? They sure seem to understand 914s, and the work is happening at an amazing rate.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Eric_Shea
Who's doing the work, Eric?

Troy Lundquist of Lundquist Restorations. They're about 1/2 a mile from my house.

Funny thing... I used to drive by and see all these cool cars there. From the front it looks like a regular house but in the two garages that are attached to the house is a shop and a spray booth (garage and more shop out back). I was looking to have my 911 turned into a full blown RS conversion. By that time I knew they were shooting cars there. I stopped in to ask him if he could weld on the flares because I had real factory RS flares and I wanted to make sure they could do the job right. He took me into the shop and I saw a 50 era Jag on a rotisserie (sic) being welded together from two seperate tubs. It became a show car. Upon further questioning I found out they won a national event for Jaguar with one of their restorations. I knew I had my shop.

The paint jobs are not your standard $3k jobs but I feel their worth it. In fact, they lost one competition because the paint was too good. Judges would complain that "Jaguar never had a paint and finish that looked like that." I'd have to agree. My 911 really is better than factory, even the glass (bumpers, ducktail, hood)
Eric_Shea
Fender should go on today. Someone on the list sold me the fender and I can't remember who...?? I had it sandblasted and it came out great.

Identify yourself! biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
More pics... we had to cut out a section of the cowl. Those should be welded in tomorrow.
Eric_Shea
Braised chunks all cut out. Good thing. Lots of rust coming from behind.
Eric_Shea
Door handle area that seems so popular these days...
Eric_Shea
The fender is on...
Eric_Shea
New cowl pieces in... he used the sandblaster to clean up the trunks and the weatherstripping tray. In the rear trunk I had him blast around the big globs of sealer they used to put the plugs in back in 1970.
Eric_Shea
In the trash...
Eric_Shea
It made it. Thanks Rich and Brad (and Louie) smilie_pokal.gif

Checks in the mail Rich
RustyWa
I absolutely LOVE these type of photos!!

smilie_pokal.gif
Levi
Hey Eric, What's the Blue hood off, it almost looks like a 55 or 56 chevy hood????
beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
58 wink.gif
Eric_Shea
Quarter panel removed yesterday...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.