Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What type of case do I have?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I recently acquired several cases. I have been going over each case trying to figure out which is best for my application. I didn't pay much attention to one of the cases until a few days ago. It was clearly a bus case but I cannot figure out exactly what type. Does anybody know the story to this case? Is it a re manufactured case (vw recycle symbol in picture)? If so, is that good or bad? Other than dirt, it is in excellent condition. The registers were not sunken. The bore is nice (per carbon paper test and dial bore gage).

I could not find the typical serial number. The only markings that I could find are pictured. It has a 914 style dipstick, it LOOKS like a stock dipstick. The dipstick is plugged with a metal plug (pictured). The fuel pump boss is set up for a mechanical fuel pump. Does not have a secondary fuel pressure relief piston. The lower oil filler mount is patent (as with buses).
Mark Henry
VW universal replacement case, good find if it specs out.

It uses a different P/U tube than the 914 case, but you can modify it to accept the windage tray.
The metal plug in the dipstick hole is lead, heat it up and melt it out.
Mark Henry
double post
tornik550
What years did they make the universal replacement cases? Some of the areas on the case look like they were machined a little different than the other 914 cases that I have.
tornik550
Bump
Mark Henry
They are minor differences, the big one is it must use the later (77-82) bus pick-up tube which is shorter. You'll have to drill a hole for the windage tray bolt.
It has the holes for the bus oil fill pipe and fuel pump which will need to be blocked off.
It also dumps the pressure relief oil back to the front of the pump instead of into the sump, plus it has no secondary (lifter) relief valve.

The only thing of consequence I forgot to mention in my first post is if you plan to run a taco plate temp sender you need cut or dremil out the area that the end of the sender sits. Hard to explain so just stick the plate and sender in place (plus look at a 914 case) and you will see what I mean.

It's made to replace any/all type 4 cases with minor shop mods most likely built after '77.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.