Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission for sube conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pffft
I never came to terms with my sbc/930 combination and sold the drivetrain in a fit of terminal empty wallet.
After letting the roller sit for a while now, I think I will go subaru.
The choices for a tranny seem to be 901, subaru and soon, hopefully, boxster.
I have driven 901's for 20 years now and do not love them. The Rennshifter stuff helps but they are still....
If I go subaru, the choices seem to be either find an old fwd box or convert a 4wd. I have owned two modern subarus and am much happier with the gear box.
When I last paid much attention the magic flanges had been produced and sold and I missed that bus.
The boxster idea seems to be getting much closer but not here yet.

Now it seems there are some other ideas that seem to be working but it is kinda hard to get (hard for me, maybe someone with more functioning brain cells would disagree) a handle on which way(s) seem to work best.

So, can anyone interested please jump in with thoughts, suggestions, good or bad ideas and information that might help me decide what to do.

This is the white Lapuwali car, so it is of some significance to me, at least.

patrick
d914
My vote would be Suby four wheel drive converted to fwd, re-spline the Porsche axles inboard and go cable shifter

All of the above has been done road tested and works. The suby trannys can be had for around $4-500. Conversion pieces can actually be home made and the axles are around $200 to re spline...

You have the gearing and the clutch that matches the engine. It fits and they are reliable and replaceable.

Home made cable shifter with cable, around $200. For the record they feel nice.
Toyo Corolla, MR2, Honda accord shifter all work.. Go to your local pick and pull or I'll give you my MR2 one.. I'm going to use the Honda one.

Boxster/audi will be a good choice, but I haven't played with so no idea
jimkelly
i was under the impression that one could not respline stock 914 axles - but - could repline 911 axles, the type used to convert a 914 to 5 lug ??

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=80641&hl=
Andyrew
I agree 100%

If your going subaru, stick with a subaru trani. Its only when you are going with another engine that you should consider another trani..
charliew
If you are shopping for a suby tranny try to get a 05 legacy turbo awd tranny. They have the thickest gears and are the most updated of the 5 speed subys. While you are doing the fwd conversion add a obx helical diff. Subaru has come out with a 6 spd that is the same length as the 5 spd but I suspect the gears will be pretty thin to get that extra gearset into the same size package.
d914
You use the 914 cv's out boardd and the suby cv's inboard. The suby cv is longer and allows quite a bit of travel for the suspension. In our case it allows for some flexibility in the engine placement forward aft... the 914 axles are thicker and longer than needed. measure cut and re-spline. You re-spline for the suby inboard cv and cut according to what cv you have.. There are several types.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 12 2011, 07:29 PM) *

i was under the impression that one could not respline stock 914 axles - but - could repline 911 axles, the type used to convert a 914 to 5 lug ??

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=80641&hl=

914 axles are the same diameter as 911 axles and are longer. They also can be resplined for a Subaru cv joint.
What to buy a set?

Bob
charliew
Already splined? how long?
sawtooth
QUOTE(d914 @ Jan 12 2011, 04:51 PM) *

My vote would be Suby four wheel drive converted to fwd, re-spline the Porsche axles inboard and go cable shifter

All of the above has been done road tested and works. The suby trannys can be had for around $4-500. Conversion pieces can actually be home made and the axles are around $200 to re spline...

You have the gearing and the clutch that matches the engine. It fits and they are reliable and replaceable.

Toyo Corolla, MR2, Honda accord shifter all work.. Go to your local pick and pull or I'll give you my MR2 one.. I'm going to use the Honda one.

agree.gif I just finished re-splining and shortening my 914 axles. I used the 944 outer cv to 911 stub and hub for 5 lug conversion while I was at it. Just finishing up my mr2 cable shifter. I'm also using a 4WD trans from a 94 that has cable clutch.
ttriebler
Subaru now do a 6 speed cable shift box starting with the 2010 cars. This box is essentially the same as the 5 speed box and is the same length and overall size, with more ribbing and stiffening in the case to reduce flex.

5th and 6th gear are in the spot where 5th and 'air' previously was and all gears are the same thickness or thicker than on previous subie transmissions. This box is a great option for 914s because the cable shift is already built in.

These boxes can easily be converted to 2wd with the subaspool locking spool just like on the 5 speeds. We also sell subaflanges in 100mm and 108mm (930) size as well as some trick looking subaplates to block off the back of the transmission when you convert it to 2wd.

www.subarugears.com
brant
QUOTE(d914 @ Jan 12 2011, 04:51 PM) *

which Honda model should I look for in the junk yard? and how much of it do I need to get to convert to a cable shifter?
TIA!

Patrick, thank you for starting this thread
I love the info!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.