Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: all of a sudden its oh-uh... gas smell!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelt55
well..I have been enjoying driving my car alot this past 2 months. More than any time since I have owned it. Then last week after I filled it up and parked it in the garage, I get this strong gasoline odor. Thought maybe I over filled it. Then yesterday..I see gasoline on the garage floor. So its time to start tracing gas lines I thought. Well...not so much..its the lines the previous owner setup in under the tank. It has a line that is torn. Neoprene line, no biggee I guess but there are some missing items noted I need education on.

There are 2 lines from the gas tank? Why two? Since I have a non fuel injected V8 can I just use one? and plug one? Secondly, no expansion tank on gas tank...and no tank strap either....

Ok V8 guys...what setup do you use and what can I do (besides add the expansion tank and strap) to improve it?

Michael type.gif
pt_700
the other line is probably the return line from the original f.i. setup. perhaps it's capped somewhere and that's the source of your leak?

paul
jimtab
If you're smart this is the time to change all the "rubber" lines to new material....the crap in the gas eats them up over time and if you've ever seen a "914 Barbeque" it isn't pretty....and not worth ignoring.
realred914
Gas smell, that happens when ever someone pulls my finger.

for sure get an expansion tank, else you should not ever fill yoru tank all the way up, gasoline expands a good deal with heat, and needs someplace to go.

replace the rubber hoses, you could block off one of the hoses as you dont need a return with yoru set up, but some folks still use the loop system even with carbs to help cool the gas. note one hose might be larger than the other, use the fat one. a brass slug in the end of the unused one with a hose clamp can seal it off.

use only 30R9 rated fuel hose, never use the older standard 30R7 hose, 30R7 will NOT resist todays new fuels.

the evep carbon canister is not needed , but it can reduce gas smells (vapours) in teh garage,a nd they also help to clean the air with no loss in Horse power. before reconnecting any disabled evep cannister, besure teh hoses are clean one of the two hoses feeds directy to the throotle body, bypassing the air filter, so make sure it is clean else dirt can be sucked into the motor!!! pay close attention to the rubber hoses 90 degree bends that are in both front and rear wheel wells, road debries kick up from the tire can trow gravel into a torn hose,and it can then be sucked UNfiltered into your motor.

since you have carbs, you will need to rig a fitting to yoru air cleaner to provide sucktion, and you should have a blower motor or ram air to provide pressure on teh otehr hose. this system was desinged to recieve the pressure form teh VW fan house. you dont have that on a V8 car, so you have to improvice there, however even a missing pressur eline to the evap can would not render it completely useless so long as it has a sucktion line to the aircleaner.

good luck

michaelt55
good info since I did not know about the 30R9 hose...... I thought it was 30R6?? I did research it and found out its fuel injection hose.. good for up to 900 psi.
realred914
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Jan 12 2011, 05:30 PM) *

good info since I did not know about the 30R9 hose...... I thought it was 30R6?? I did research it and found out its fuel injection hose.. good for up to 900 psi.

main thing is the 30R9 is lined with a teflon like flouropolymer that resists the new fuel aditive, the old stuff is not lined and can ra[pidly degrade. the R9 cost more, but wil last
Elliot Cannon
I don't use an expansion tank. I just don't top off to the very tippy top. Never had a problem. Changing all the fuel lines is a great idea. You don't want this.
championgt1
I hate that picture! sad.gif
willamp
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jan 12 2011, 10:31 PM) *

I donno Jack, I kind of like it. I'd like to hang it my garage to make me get off my A$$ and replace the segments of original fuel lines still in my car. Seems as I get older I need motivation like this for certain things. Too easy to just get in my car and drive it. I also need a big picture of a rotted out battery tray and engine shelf. Mine is not rusted through but paint is deteriorated and I just know there is surface rust under it. I've been thinking about the job but I think I would need to pull the engine out to do it right and my car runs perfectly so hate to do it just for this reason. So please, somebody, motivate me. chair.gif
Or, tell me you were able to do a decent job of refinishing the area with the engine in the car.
realred914
QUOTE(willamp @ Jan 13 2011, 05:22 AM) *

I donno Jack, I kind of like it. I'd like to hang it my garage to make me get off my A$$ and replace the segments of original fuel lines still in my car. Seems as I get older I need motivation like this for certain things. Too easy to just get in my car and drive it. I also need a big picture of a rotted out battery tray and engine shelf. Mine is not rusted through but paint is deteriorated and I just know there is surface rust under it. I've been thinking about the job but I think I would need to pull the engine out to do it right and my car runs perfectly so hate to do it just for this reason. So please, somebody, motivate me. chair.gif
Or, tell me you were able to do a decent job of refinishing the area with the engine in the car.

help motivating you??? what another picture of a car fire is needed????

at least have a big fire extingusher handy if you got questionable fuel lines,a dn dont park inside your garage else your garage could burn up.
willamp
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jan 13 2011, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(willamp @ Jan 13 2011, 05:22 AM) *

help motivating you??? what another picture of a car fire is needed????

at least have a big fire extingusher handy if you got questionable fuel lines,a dn dont park inside your garage else your garage could burn up.

One picture of the car fire is good, was mostly referring to battery tray for additional prodding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.