Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Received my COA today-question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBC914
I'm restoring a early 74 914 (birthday is Aug of 73). I requested the overpriced COA for it.
I just received the COA today. My COA states that the car came with "pressure cast wheels". I just bought 4 used Fuchs for it prior to receiving the COA. Currently it has 2 steel sport wheels and 2 other wheels that nothing short of ugly (soon to be replaced!). I'm pretty sure this car had the appearance group (it has the original leather steering wheel, center console, bumperettes), and a previous owner sold the original wheels.
Does anyone know if "pressure cast wheels"=Fuchs, Mahle's, Pedrini or other? I am still trying to find the original owner to see if they would provide some information on it. In the meantime, I'm hoping someone could verify this.
Thanks-everyone has been great at providing answers to questions.
Paul
Cap'n Krusty
Had to be Mahle or Pedrini wheels, 'cause Fuchs are forged. As your car's a '74, there's a good chance they were Mahles.

The Cap'n
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 14 2011, 06:51 PM) *

Had to be Mahle or Pedrini wheels, 'cause Fuchs are forged. As your car's a '74, there's a good chance they were Mahles.

The Cap'n

agree.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jan 14 2011, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 14 2011, 06:51 PM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif

#3 agree.gif

... and IIRC the Pedrinis were discontinued after 73 MY & only Mahle 4-lugs were available thereafter -but some others on here should confirm that.
JeffBowlsby
The 2.0 Fuchs were the only forged wheel available='pressure cast'. Mahles, Pedrinnis are simply cast...not pressure cast.

"The ...forging process starts with extrusions of aerospace-grade 6061-T6 aluminum. 6061-T6 aluminum is considered the premium alloy for optimal strength properties optimizing wheel design and production. The aluminum billet is prepared and subjected to large forging presses, ranging up to 50,000-tons used for all wheel and aerospace applications, and extensive heat treatment and curing processes for optimal wheel strength."

"Cast wheels are formed from molten aluminum placed into a mold. While casting may be a less expensive process, the melting of aluminum changes the properties and loses the natural grain and strength of the metal. A cast wheel exhibits strength properties significantly lower than a forged wheel."

Reference: http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_ame...ged/default.asp

PBC914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 14 2011, 07:27 PM) *

The 2.0 Fuchs were the only forged wheel available='pressure cast'. Mahles, Pedrinnis are simply cast...not pressure cast.

"The ...forging process starts with extrusions of aerospace-grade 6061-T6 aluminum. 6061-T6 aluminum is considered the premium alloy for optimal strength properties optimizing wheel design and production. The aluminum billet is prepared and subjected to large forging presses, ranging up to 50,000-tons used for all wheel and aerospace applications, and extensive heat treatment and curing processes for optimal wheel strength."

"Cast wheels are formed from molten aluminum placed into a mold. While casting may be a less expensive process, the melting of aluminum changes the properties and loses the natural grain and strength of the metal. A cast wheel exhibits strength properties significantly lower than a forged wheel."

Thanks for the Fuch-en replies, very much appreciated!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
GREAT explaination! That means that all of your stable of Limited Editions have the cheap weak wheels on them then...................Except the one you have HERE at Automobile Atlanta!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 14 2011, 06:27 PM) *

johannes
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 14 2011, 05:27 PM) *

Jeff , do you have any information about the weight of the Fuchs VS Mahle ? ...

I have Mahle and I just weighted it : 6 kg that is 13 lb

pray.gif
johannes
OK, got the answer here ... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=37115

Matt Monson wrote: I'm new. I'll get involved. I just weighed a Fuchs on the postal scale at 13.4lbs...

So I have my answer: Mahle and Fuchs 4x130 weight about the same... 13 lbs. The only benefit of Fuchs is they should be stronger...

BTW ... In my opinion the Mahle look better. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.