Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front wheel bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
when changing front wheel bearings do i need new races also or just inner outer and seals?
70 914
Sometimes thewheel bearing come with races , change them!
Valy
QUOTE(tomh @ Jan 14 2011, 10:26 PM) *

when changing front wheel bearings do i need new races also or just inner outer and seals?

The new bearings come with new races.
I bet you have no idea what brand they are (not interchangeable). Change everything, it's quite simple.
I borrowed a race driver from the local Kragen, freezed the races and heated the rotors in the oven. Driving the new racing in took 5 seconds. (If it takes longer, the race warms up and you need to freeze them again)

I'm sure people will tell you that you can drive them in without the temperature shock but, I was afraid they will stuck in the middle.

Really easy.
tomh
QUOTE(Valy @ Jan 14 2011, 11:18 PM) *

QUOTE(tomh @ Jan 14 2011, 10:26 PM) *

The new bearings come with new races.
I bet you have no idea what brand they are (not interchangeable). Change everything, it's quite simple.
I borrowed a race driver from the local Kragen, freezed the races and heated the rotors in the oven. Driving the new racing in took 5 seconds. (If it takes longer, the race warms up and you need to freeze them again)

I'm sure people will tell you that you can drive them in without the temperature shock but, I was afraid they will stuck in the middle.

Really easy.

thanks for the info.sounds like i can handle this job
leebenedi
This might sound dumb, but how do you remove the cover to access the hub? I am trying to remove them without breaking them (I want to change the bearings also) and I am stumped.

Thanks,

Lee
76-914
QUOTE(leebenedi @ Jan 15 2011, 06:04 AM) *

This might sound dumb, but how do you remove the cover to access the hub? I am trying to remove them without breaking them (I want to change the bearings also) and I am stumped.

Thanks,

Lee

A challenge if your used to american cars. There is room to slip a screwdriver behind the cover. Using 2 screwdrivers in concert, one can rock them out.
leebenedi
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 15 2011, 05:15 PM) *

Thanks,

Lee

A challenge if your used to american cars. There is room to slip a screwdriver behind the cover. Using 2 screwdrivers in concert, one can rock them out.

Thanks. I will give it a try.
WFG
QUOTE(leebenedi @ Jan 15 2011, 08:39 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 15 2011, 05:15 PM) *

Thanks,

Lee

Thanks. I will give it a try.

why not use dust cap pliers and always replace bearings and races together
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.