Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seam Sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Does anyone have a recommended sealer for putting on top of welds? I am finishing up some major rust repair and want to hide my crappy welds as well as protect the backside of the seam. I saw some in the AA catalog, but I was looking for something that I could buy locally.

Thomas
73 914
ejm
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Apr 26 2004, 03:53 PM)
I saw some in the AA catalog,

Run Forrest Run ar15.gif AA

Any good body shop supply store has seam sealer. It might work well to hide crappy welds but will eventually loosen and trap moisture.

A little cosmetic work with a grinder and some cold galvanizing primer or POR15 might make for a longer lasting repair.
DuckRyder
Any automotive refinish supply store should have 3m brushable seam sealer.

Any thing by Wurth is good too.

Not sure seam sealer will help to hide much weld though, maybe after grinding, but it is pretty aggravating to work with as well.
TonyAKAVW
I have to agree with ejm regarding not using seam sealer. The problem is that seam sealer hides too much. It hides the rust that develops until its too late. I'm about to do some welding myself and I've pretty much decided to use POR-15 over everything. Take some time and grind the welds down. You've probably put a lot of work into it by now, there's no reason to use something that is responsible for the rust in many of our cars.

-Tony
TimT
Take some time and grind the welds down

no need to be grinding welds unless they are fugly

here is a pic of my 911 front pan rustoration..

The welds dont look factory, but they look good, and are good welds.. no need to hide them
TimT
Oh and must mention all welds and seams are cleaned before and after welding, then primed with a good zinc coating...appropriate finish coats are applied
Slowpoke
SEMS is the only decent seam sealer around. The gun cost $65. But if you tell the guy you just moved into town and your gun broke, they will give you one, if they are cool. Once you have the gun you can use all of their products. Structural bonding agents to expanding seam sealer. The shop selling SEMS will have a display board. Once you use it you'll never go back to anything else. I don't like 3M, I have had nothing but problems with it.

Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.