Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's The Best Way to Bend Brake Tubes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I didn't want to spend $30 plus for a front caliper line so I bot a straight line with fittings at autozone for $5 and want to bend it myself. I don;t want to buy a tool since I really won't have a lot of use for it after this.

It's the S shaped line in the early brakes. Two opposite 90 degree bends.

jim912928
autozone, advanced auto etc has these cheap bending tools (they are like 8 bucks) that work fine.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Jan 26 2011, 10:50 AM) *

autozone, advanced auto etc has these cheap bending tools (they are like 8 bucks) that work fine.

The only one a saw was really heavy duty and like $15. I didn't really want to go hunting around for a tool.

I suppose if I get one I'll start wanting to change out all the lines and I just want to get back on the road right now.
IronHillRestorations
They are easy to kink if you have to make a sharp bend. I've got a good two handle tubing bender, and then one of those cheaper ones that was like $6 at a VW parts supplier.
underthetire
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch...q=tubing+bender

Not worth trying without one. I used the 4.99 one ( think it was one of those on sale for 1.99 items) worked well for 5/16 brake line.
KELTY360
How many straight lines do you have to kink because you don't have the proper tool before it becomes cost effective to buy the proper tool? A CSOB knows when spending a little will save a lot.
Andyrew
^^^^this tool..

You can easily kink that line. Should be in the automotive section.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif and agree.gif
Buy the tool. You WILL need it again, and you WILL kink your line if you don't use one. It only takes a few fuck ups (some times only 1) to make the cost of the $15 tool seem worth while.

Zach
jcd914
The smart thing is to buy the tool but ...

Because I am a CSOB I have come up with ways to do many things without buying tools.

You take a block of wood (2"x2"x4") the harder the better. Take a drill bit slightly smaller than the OD of your brake line. With the bit in a drill you use the side of the bit to cut a groove from the 4" side to side to the adjacent 2" side in a nice smooth arc. You can then the groove and bend the tubing over the block of wood. The tight fit in the groove and the smooth arc of the groove will help keep from kinking the tubing.

Just my $0.02 (all a CSOB like me is willing to part with)

Jim
7TPorsh
good enough, off to china freight. Never had the need so didn't know the characteristics of the tubes.

thanks guys.
76-914
Before the internet and Harbor Freight we didn't even know where to buy one. We used different sized small pully's. Then go to a fancy hotel and gleep some nice fine sand from their ashtrays. Then pinch an end shut, fill with sand as compactly as possible, then pinch the other end leaving no void in the line and bend away. You will need to flush thoroughly later.
detoxcowboy
quote name='underthetire' date='Jan 26 2011, 01:20 PM' post='1422779']
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch...q=tubing+bender

Not worth trying without one. I used the 4.99 one ( think it was one of those on sale for 1.99 items) worked well for 5/16 brake line.
[/quote]
agree.gif just saw one tonight at ace hardware, $4.99. It makes the job alot easier and ends up looking alot cleaniner and uniform, without out it you going to makew bends you do not need, or that come out long or short so the rebend to make the line fit and reach just starts looking fugly and then alll that and when you go to secure it with the tabs along the body your going to fight it again in places. Get the tool make less bend and cleaner bends..

for $4.99 you do not even have to keep it, they are aluminum.. recylce it

oh and the $4.99 one has a big round end and a small round end, forget about the size pipe is says for each end, both ends work as a guide, and you will need both, big round at the calipers and the little round at the Master Cylider and Prop. Valve. ect..

you will end up dong some slight bending and straightening with your hands but at least you have a good constant form to slightly manipulate from..
gothspeed
Buy the tool, it is kinda fun to use smile.gif ............. but if you really want to rebel ....... then you can use the plastic pulley the clutch cable bends around at the gear box. The radius is kinda big but it will work in an emergency sitiation wink.gif
Jakeodoule
I have good success with a small old school door spring. They are about a foot long.
You slide the spring over the line and bend by hand. The spring prevents it from kinking.
Just slide the spring off when your done.
Get the springs at ACE hardware for a couple bucks.
I like it better than the bending tool.
scotty b
I guess I am in the minority. I havea a cheapo bending tool, and 99.9 time out of 100
I and up using my thumbs and forefingers. I have founbd this to be an easier ansd more accurate way then the cheapo bending tools. I am plannig on purchasing a much nicer setup in the near future though shades.gif
strawman
I know that you've already bought the pre-flared/nutted piece, but to all that plan to replace a bunch of line(s), I can't speak highly enough of the Cunifer line available from FedHill. This stuff is almost impossible to kink, it won't rust and it looks great. All of the high-end Euro car manufacturers apparently use it or stuff like it, too. Of course, you'll need to obtain a high quality tubing double flare kit... so it goes against all of my CSOB tendencies, but why pinch too tightly when you're talking about brakes?

PS -- I just learned how to post a link beerchug.gif My 14-y.o. daughter would be proud of me!
McMark
I'd have paid the $30 and spent more time driving. But I suppose I'm not a CSOB.
7TPorsh
I agree i probably should has just bot the $30 factory part pre bent and be done with it. With the hassle of getting a tool it looks like it's costing the same.
rohar
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Jan 26 2011, 08:31 PM) *

I have good success with a small old school door spring. They are about a foot long.
You slide the spring over the line and bend by hand. The spring prevents it from kinking.
Just slide the spring off when your done.
Get the springs at ACE hardware for a couple bucks.
I like it better than the bending tool.

For most spaces, a bending tool works fine on it's own. But replacing that bugger that goes through the firewall is an art, not a design. The ONLY way to make it happen is with your thumbs and a spring wink.gif
tornik550
This is the best way without a bending tool.
rnellums
I was able to borrow one from my FLAPS, put a $15.00 deposit on it, and got it back when I brought the tool back in. I do the same thing with spring compressors...
two-strokejohn
View the products at this web site... they sell the copper based lines that don't kink and most of the time you can bend by hand without tools..... also they don't corrode or rust. They are the ultimate in brake lines IMHO.
http://www.fedhillusa.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.