Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Sealed bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
The sealed bearings on my pellet stove are starting to howl a little. Instead of spending the $275 for a new combustion and exhuast fan I'd like to try and lubricate the sealed bearings on the existing fan. What type of lube should I use? Was thinking either ptfe or silicone, but what would be best for higher temps?
>M<
r_towle
QUOTE(Sparky @ Jan 27 2011, 01:29 PM) *

The sealed bearings on my pellet stove are starting to howl a little. Instead of spending the $275 for a new combustion and exhuast fan I'd like to try and lubricate the sealed bearings on the existing fan. What type of lube should I use? Was thinking either ptfe or silicone, but what would be best for higher temps?
>M<

How can you lubricate a sealed bearing without breaking the seal in some way?
Can you remove the bearings?
If so, or to answer your question properly, call Eastern Bearing...
They were in Lowell, but I think they may have moved to Manchester...lemme look.
All they do is bearings...so they will be a good place to ask.

6 Executive Park Drive
North Billerica, MA 01862
(978) 262-9888
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Sparky @ Jan 27 2011, 12:29 PM) *

>M<

Go to Mcmaster Carr (mcmaster.com) Type in Grease in the search. This will take to a page that has a lot of information about grease. You will want a synthetic grease. There is a lot to choose from with temperature ratings shown.
underthetire
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 27 2011, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Sparky @ Jan 27 2011, 12:29 PM) *

>M<

Go to Mcmaster Carr (mcmaster.com) Type in Grease in the search. This will take to a page that has a lot of information about grease. You will want a synthetic grease. There is a lot to choose from with temperature ratings shown.

From doing many many high speed spindles, std grease will start breaking down at 140 deg F., and thats what comes in pre-packed sealed bearings. Get high temp grease. You will need to uncover the bearings, the shields always pop right off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.