Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear break calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
I found rebuilt rear brake calipers at a site call EBS racing.Has any one ever bought these or heard of this site?
McMark
I buy from PMB Performance because Eric is a member here and I like to support the guys who are here spending time with us.
markb
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 6 2011, 09:35 AM) *

I buy from PMB Performance because Eric is a member here and I like to support the guys who are here spending time with us.

agree.gif
jk76.914
They've been around for quite a while. They used to be know as Engine Builders Supply, hence the EBS. I had them rebuild my 2.0 heads back in 2002, and I'm very satisfied. I also bought my euro-2.0 pistons and my gaskets and bearings from them at that time.

I looked at the calipers, and they only show $90 for a core charge. The rebuild service requires a quote, which I didn't go for. Have you gotten a quote? I can't imagine it being much less than PMB, and its not possible to beat PMB workmanship.

underthetire
Plus you can usually get Eric (pmb) on the phone during the Saturday you decide to change them over.
Eric_Shea
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=112014

Those are el cheapo NuGeon calipers. You can read about them in the link above. The entire assembly is vibratory polished and coated with only oil for protection. Aftermarket seal kits etc.

Your call... Basically good for the 914 guy that cares more about their wallet than their brakes. Even then, $360.00 a pair with core charge. confused24.gif

There really is a lot that goes into rebuilding your brake properly. If money is a concern, do it yourself. Ill help guide you through it.
tomh
I'll go with PBM. Does it really take 2-3 weeks?
PeeGreen 914
2-3 weeks is actually fast turn around for some of these. Some shops that specialize in classic restoration stuff can take months dry.gif
underthetire
He does send everything out to get re-plated. I'm sure that's a good chunk for the 2-3 weeks. I bought his kits and did my own, but I've also seen his work in person. It purty.
Eric_Shea
I'll go with PBM. Does it really take 2-3 weeks

We're actually coming off a very busy period where it took "longer". Depending on what you're looking for we should be on track to be under 2-3 weeks. Our supplier had SAP installation issues and it took some time to get correct kits out the door.

All good now and about 15 orders shipping tomorrow. wink.gif
Cairo94507
Can't beat Eric at PMB. I just e-mailed him that my late S front calipers are boxed up and going out in the morning to him for restoration. And I heard back from him today, Sunday!

I can't wait to get them back and see how beautiful they look.

As far as I am concerned Eric is the brake guru and I will follow his advice for the brakes on my six.

shoguneagle
Eric is the only one I would trust with my cars (Porsche, Alfa, Lotus, Corvette) for rebuilding brakes.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 6 2011, 09:35 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
Eric helped me out with several emails and phone calls all hours of the week.
I always say "Keep the Money in the Family"
tomh
Did someone say something about being concerned abut your wallet and owning a 914?
laflaur
worth the "wait" and worth their weightClick to view attachment
messix
why would you want to break calipers? slap.gif

and i thought Eric rebuilt brake calipers..... shades.gif

edit: sorry i walked into the wrong room.... aha meeting is just one more down the hall.....
mrbubblehead
what are "S" calipers?
Eric_Shea
what are "S" calipers?

Early:
IPB Image

Late:
IPB Image

Basically aluminum race calipers. S-Calipers first showed up in 1967-68 on the Porsche 908 race cars. Those varieties had various endurance pad changing mechanisms but the exact same casting made it into the production 911S in 1969. those were called 908 calipers. The street version has basic pad pins as seen in the above photo.

In late 1972, the later variety showed up with an older 910 caliper nose shapped into the casting.

Early calipers (1969-1972.8) are clear anodizing and late calipers have a dichromate tint to them.
mrbubblehead
gottcha. so the 914s never came stock with them? what are the advantage of them? weight and pad replacement? are they a direct bolt on?
Eric_Shea
The only 914 that I know that came with them is #11. Quite possibly the 916's as well. Many GT's had them but traditionally, GT's had 908 calipers.

The advantages are many. Reduced weight, at 5lbs. 6oz, larger pad, thicker pad, larger 48mm piston, vented rotor.

They will only bolt on to 911 3.5" struts however.
mrbubblehead
so they arent a simple upgrade then. also with bigger pistons the mc size should also be changed. it sounds like a nice mod tho.
draganc
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 6 2011, 09:35 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

you don't want to go cheap on brakes and eric did a great job on my stuff!!
sixnotfour
FLAPS
$93.79 $0.00 $93.79
Add to Cart
A-1 CARDONE Part # 191132 Reman. Caliper w/Installation Hardware - Return and Rebuild Service Only - By ordering this service you are agreeing to send your original part to the manufacturer to be rebuilt. Rebuild time is approximately 3-5 business days. You will be contacted with directions once the order is placed. For more information please contact Customer Service.
Rear Right
OE Metal Piston; Rear Right

$78.79 $50.00 $128.79
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.