Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pauldunn
I aquired a '72 914 about 2 years ago and finally got it to my garage. it has been sitting for about 10 years and is lined with a layer of dirt. Suprisingly everthing seems to be in tact. Most of the electrical seems to work except the engine wont turn over with the key. any suggestions? i have an idea, just wanna see if im right.
Mike Bellis
look at the schematic. The large yellow wire goes from the ignition switch, under the passenger seat (if you have a seat belt buzzer), then to the relay board (driver side engine bay) then to the starter. See if you have power there. It is very common for the 914 ignition switch to break.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
more

Click to view attachment
pauldunn
Thanks for the color schematics. they will help ALOT. I have built a baja'ed out bug a few years ago. i hear the 914 is real similar, if so how similar? Are parts hard to find? Where is a good place to get some? What are some other common problems i should be aware of?
luskesq
Just keep checking in with this forum and you'll names. A number of the members have their own specialties and then there are places like Pelican and Auto Atlanta who also check in around here.

good luck, it'll be fun (ha!)

keith
Eric_Shea
agree.gif welcome.png

You found the right place. The poeple here will help.
Mike Bellis
The Vendor section here is good. Patrick Motorsports in Pheonix/Mesa area builds some bad ass 914's and other Porsche's. Pelican Parts. Auto Atlanta, Automotion all can mail order stuff. Post a wanted add in the classifieds here first. Many of us have multiple parts laying around.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(pauldunn @ Feb 9 2011, 08:46 PM) *

Thanks for the color schematics. they will help ALOT. I have built a baja'ed out bug a few years ago. i hear the 914 is real similar, if so how similar? Are parts hard to find? Where is a good place to get some? What are some other common problems i should be aware of?

These cars have a bad habit of planting themselves on a set of jackstands in the garage. Do you best to hind the jackstands If you have a set around it's best to give them to a neighbor and instruct them to only let you have them back for a few hours at a time.
McMark
Have you had your battery tested? Could be failed.

Take the car out of gear and touch a screwdriver to the starter between the battery cable, and the connector with the small yellow wire (pull the wire off first to make things easier). If the starter bumps over then you've got good battery and so the problem is in the wiring/switch. If it doesn't bump then check your battery/starter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.