Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct oil retun pipe/line for a 6 conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
My donor engine for my 6 conversion came from a '79 3.0 liter, and had this return line on it.

IPB Image

As far as I can tell, this originally came on a 73-74 911, but was on my engine since it had SSI heat exchangers.

My question is: can I use this on my 6 conversion with a stock 914-6 oil tank or will I need a different hard line? I'm running Marty's MSDS headers on my engine - no heat exchangers.

If I need a different one, which one is the proper line?

Any suggestions on where to buy the complete line setup (I have none other than the hard line) including a thermostat? I heard that Mocal makes one with -12 fittings, which is what my oil tank has welded on it.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
IronHillRestorations
There are several ways to go with that Rob. You could put an adapter on that oil pipe.

Another option is to put a metric to AN adapter right on the case (where the oil pipe connects) and go with flex lines from that point. It's easier an less exposure to heat if you put a 90* fitting on the hose end that's going to connect to that fitting on the case, and then route the hose rearward, wrap it around the passenger side of the engine and then back to the tank, or to a t-stat if you are running an aux oil cooler.
brp986s
One way to find out - try to mount it and see what happens. But I think you'l have a hard time dodging the headers, shift rod, and oil supply line.

Elephant racing and Patrick motorsports address this. But I don't think there is a front-to-back bolt-on solution to this problem. When I did this I welded/modified various 911 hard lines. I even modeled some dryer goose neck gas line from home depot, bent it by hand, then brought it to a tubing bender shop for them to reproduce. Worked out great, but when I picked it up they said they lost money on the deal. If I showed up there again I think they'd release the hounds.

If you have the SSIs and hard line I may buy them from you for my 911.
moparrob
I like the idea of the metric to AN lines adapter. Any idea of the size of the metric thread on the block, or who sells them?

brp986s - PM sent

Thanks
moparrob
Actually, just found them on the Elephant Racing site. 30 mm.

Good stuff there....

$$$$$$$
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.